Notices

Seoul/Taiwan

Aug 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Seoul/Taiwan

Am lucky enough to tag along for a trip to Seoul while husband does some business. He is recovering from some major surgery so we will be anxious and excited at the same time.
Spending 6 days in Seoul and then off to Taiwan. Am finding info a tad scarce and want to make sure I see everything. .. the markets are fun & the museum treasures are once in a lifetime...have been to Japan,Singapore,Bankok and understand the surprises are in the oddest places. Fairly brave as I often need to tour alone . So any tips>>>thanks in advance.
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Definitely go to the Leeum Samsung museum - is a
pleasant 7-8 min walk from a subway station whose name I forget. U need to book in advance either on the website www.leeum.org or get the concierge to call and make a booking for you. Budget anything over 1 hour depending on how much u want to wander - is actually 3 buildings, 1 housing traditional Korean ceramics, 1 housing contemporary art including Andy Warhol, Damien Hirst and others and the 3rd is a display space which has some really interesting interactive exhibits.

Close to Leeum is the Namsan park with a cable car
which gives an interesting aerial view of the city.
From Leeum it is about a 30 minute walk, quite uphill, thru a park. Else plan it separately.

Wander thru the Insadong area. Is a cobbled street
with loads of shops selling local wares, a bit
touristy but worth an hour. You can combine Insadong with the restaurant below which is great veg food run by monks
http://www.igoyougo.com/planning/jou...ian+Restaurant

See at least 1 palace - I chose Changdok (Secret
Garden palace) which is actually very near Insadong. It has a huge garden. You have to see them thru a guided tour so check English timings in advance.

For one fancy meal go to the W Hotel. A bit away from the center of town tho not very far from the subway and taxis in Seoul are not very expensive. Very trendy, great interiors, Namu restaurant has amazing views and food. Woo Bar too cool.

Wander thru the Apgujedeong area for the most trendy shopping - admire the Galleria facade with its ever changing LED light exhibit. Go to the street narket for an amazing experience of contrasts.
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
JohnWM

Hello, realtor7. You asked about sights to see in Taiwan. While there this past May, I spent time visiting the Chiang-Kai Chek memorial, the Shrine to the Martyrs, the National Museum, and the world's current tallest building, Taipei 101. The night market at 'Snake Alley' was a delight, too. If time permits, try to visit the picturesque mountain town of Chofen (Jofen). Enjoy your visit there!

Search this Thread