Sending Digital Photos from Asis

Mar 29th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Sending Digital Photos from Asis

I am going to Hong Kong, Bangkok and Bhutan. I am interested in sending photos to friends/family while I am gone. I know how to do this at home - but how will I do this when I am gone? I use the software that came w/ my camera at home. Is similar software generally available on most internet cafe computers? What would it be called? Any peculiarities to this -- particularly in Bhutan? And I assume I need to take the USB cable with me?
Mar 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM

How do you usually do it at home? Do you just email the large photo files to the recipients? Or do you upload them to a 3rd-party website and then "invite" your friends and family?

The former method is slow unless you're only sending a few photos to each person. But you won't need any additional software. As long as the computer has a USB port, you're fine. But if you use a 3rd-party site, then you need to find out if that site requires you to install a program to upload, or you can just do it with a regular web browser.

You can't assume any computer at an internet cafe to have specific programs for you photo service, and you can't install programs there.
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Pamo - sorry to hijack your thread but I was wondering about Bhutan - did you end up using Jachung Travel? How long will you be in Bhutan and will you be attending a festival? Please do a trip report when you get back.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Clarification -- I am wondering about the software that is required to download the picture from my camera. I have an Olympus camera -- and use the Olympus software at home. Then I use my email app. I assume I can get to hotmail (am I right?) when I am traveling. Not sure about how to download the pictures.
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Response to Craig -- I did use Jachung. I have to admit -- we are all a bit nervous about sending off checks for thousands of dollars to an internet website. However -- that is how most of the Bhutan companies operate. They have been very responsive to all of my questions and once I paid for the trip, the tickets, visa, etc was processed in a timely manner. We are going in mid-April -- unfortunately -- we will be missing the festival. Will post a report when I get back!
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:42 AM

If you use a computer with Window XP then it will have a built in software that will download the pictures from your camera. All you have to do is connect the camera with the supplied cable to the computer's USB slot and a download wizard should start up. Once downloaded to the computer you can just "attached" the pictures to your mail.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Another idea especially if you have lots of pictures, large pictures, etc. that you don't want to send through a series of emails is to use a website that will host your pictures as an "album". I've used snapfish.com in the past and it works great. It is a free service, you have a login and password, upload your pictures from a computer to the website with an easy browse button (it will do an entire folder with one click), and then you can "invite" your friends and family to see the album by entering in their email addresses. They will each get an email inviting them to click on a link to go see your pictures. The only drawback of this is that then they need to have a login and password to sign in before seeing them, but they can use anything and it will work (like [email protected] and 123456 for a password).

I'm sure there are other sites that will allow you to host. Many I have seen have you select each individual picture that you want to upload which can be a problem with lots of photos.

Anyway, just an alternative to emailing.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Oops, sorry rkkwan...I just noticed that you mentioned this idea as well.