Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Seeking advice on Shanghai airport stopover options (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/seeking-advice-on-shanghai-airport-stopover-options-810978/)

WinterTravel Oct 19th, 2009 04:25 PM

Seeking advice on Shanghai airport stopover options

We have about 7 hours layover in Shanghai in January (arriving at 6:30am). The early morning arrival in winter makes it tough, but we'd hate to spend so many hours in the airport, especially since we've never been to Shanghai.

Would love some advice from those who know Shanghai. Is it practical to plan to go into town at this time of day for a few hours? Is it definitely possible to do this without a visa (since we will be there less than 24 hours)? Any advice on how to make best use of the time to get a sense of Shanghai?

Many thanks for any advice!

ekscrunchy Oct 20th, 2009 03:20 AM

There are two airports in Shanghai. Pudong is much further from the city than Hongqiao. Where will you be stopping?

WinterTravel Oct 20th, 2009 07:29 AM

Thanks for mentioning that -- our stopover is at Pudong.

Shanghainese Oct 20th, 2009 08:11 AM

What is your onward country after the Shanghai layover? Do you have checked luggage that go thru directly? How much carryon luggage do you have? I am trying to determine if you really have a total of 7 hours FREE time so we can plan your sightseeing, it is definitely doable. Does the "we" include children?

The last I heard if you hold a valid US passport, you have 48 hours free transit time without a visa provided you possess the visa for the onward country. Suggest you confirm with the Chinese consulate closest to you.

Gpanda Oct 20th, 2009 12:09 PM

Assuming you can do this without a visa, you could take a quick trip into town. You could go to People's Park, walk along Nanjing Lu, a pedestrian walkway, visit the Shanghai Urban Planning Center and the Shanghai Museum. This is doable.

grandmaster314 Oct 20th, 2009 02:25 PM

Agreed with above. Take a cab to Puxi and the Shanghai Bund.
If you get in 630am, means your international flight is around 1:30pm, which means you should be at the airport by 11:30am. Means you'll have to cab on out by the latest at 10:30am.

If you take a cab to Nanjing Rod East (around People's Square). Chill out there, grab some morning breakfast and maybe head towards the Bund, hang out around the Museum. That's still about 2-3 hrs you can use in Shanghai.

PeterN_H Oct 20th, 2009 03:30 PM

Why take an expensive and slow cab into town when you can take the world's only commercially operating maglev train, and do up to 300kph instead of (if you're lucky) 110kph with frequent stops? You'll be at city's edge in eight minutes. Then switch to the metro and continue more slowly but still faster than a cab.

On your way back the maglev will be running even faster, at up to 430kph, the fastest it's possible for ordinary mortals to travel on land. Details of the maglev and Shanghai metro systems can all be found on-line.

WinterTravel Oct 23rd, 2009 05:00 PM

We love trains so the Maglev would be fun even if only for the experience of it. Does it run early morning? We are two adults with no kids and our luggage will be checked all the way through to the US. We will keep carry-on to a minimum to make it easier to go out and about. Do restaurants, etc... open early morning in Shanghai (or will breakfast in a hotel be our only option early)?

PeterN_H Oct 23rd, 2009 07:34 PM

It's amazing what you can accomplish with your fingers and Google. I tried 'Shanghai maglev timetable' and I found this:

http://www.smtdc.com/en/jszl1_2.asp

WinterTravel Oct 25th, 2009 03:05 PM

Many thanks -- very helpful info!

Shanghainese Oct 26th, 2009 08:54 AM

Shanghai wakes up early or one should say does not sleep, you will not have problems getting early breakfast, Starbucks, MacD, Burger King are all over the place, and local coffee shops do a good job, just clearly state what you'd like. I ordered sunny-side up eggs in chinese but got them poached served on toast instead of fried, which was fine by me.

Tim_MonckMason Nov 1st, 2011 01:38 PM

I stopped over there 3 yrs ago. they don't do transit like we think - you go through customs and into china and have to get your luggage. we found many feloow travelers from our plane walking around without luggage and told them, and indeed their luggage was going around and around for anyone to nick. There was a hard to find but excellant and cheap hotel attached to airport - we took a room for 5 hrs for about $20 and it was top class room ensuite etc.

SO dont leave luggage on caroselle!

We will use it again next yr and this time delay onward flight a day so we can stay at hotel and leave luggage there and go into town.

JPDeM Nov 2nd, 2011 11:15 PM

There is luggage storage capability at the airport.
The first Maglev train is at 7h02. Definitely do-able if you land at 6h30. It will take you one hour after landing to deplane, clear immigration and get your luggage. You will get a discount on the Maglev with your plane ticket. Later you will need to check-in 2 hours before departure. Hopefully you have enough time left to see the city.
Once you get off the Maglev you can get on the subway to get to Nanjing lu.
You can get some Chinese currency at one of the many ATMs at the airport.