"Seat of our pants" travelling

Sep 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

"Seat of our pants" travelling

Finally, after several years travelling, we've found a way to really enjoy getting around a country. Buy a backpack!
1. No porters hassle you, you don't have them dragging your luggage from the taxi/tuk-tuk, songthaew etc. (read India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka)
2. You cannot carry more than you can carry on your back. Ok you spend a bundle shipping stuff home!
3. You can be packed in 60 seconds and be on a plane, bus or train very quickly.
4. The freedom of not needing to carry/wheel a suitcase is liberating. Ok I look like very large upright turtle!
5. You save a bundle because you look poor and you get quoted cheap prices for guesthouses, hotels, taxis etc. etc.
6. All you luxury travellers out there should give it a try. I'm addicted now, but I'm not giving up the five star hotels, two nights a week!
Sep 17th, 2005, 06:55 AM

lyndie---what's next, a bed roll.....??

an upright turtle??? now that's a picture...

you are liberated!!!
Sep 17th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Completely agree, so far! Of course, we're never 5* travelers anyway and haven't tried it out in Asia yet, but bought a sort of compromise 21" backpack awhile back and been giving it some test runs.

http://baggageforless.com/proddetail...sBT205&cat=792

Working out great. We didn't buy it at that url by the way, it was just a quick pic I could find. We paid about $140US for each of ours. Both sections are backpacks with their own straps, but they zip together as one, or you can make it a roller for those 2 nights a week of 5*'s.

I've been using it this past week as a business travel bag. Main part for clothes, the small front part as a laptop bag. Did pretty good. I can see using the main part the same and the front as a camera gear bag when we go to Thailand & Cambodia in Jan. I like that it'll help sway off porters and such, so I'm glad you posted your thoughts on this.

Cheers
Sep 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

To Bob-a swag is what's next! Then we don't need to pay US5 a night for a bed! And yes, we were truly liberated with back packs! Just getting on and off those darn trains in Sri Lanka required gymnastic skills! Home now and sad! Missing all that curry and those auto rickshaws!

To Clifton-Asia is a perfect destination for back packing. You'll find it much easier than trying to pull a wheely down some cobbled street in Seim Reap or over a dirty, crud filled gutter in Bangkok. Have a great trip!
Sep 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM

lyndie---we fodorites have taken up a collection and have come up with enough money for you two to have a nice nite at the oriental on your next bkk trip....one problem....they don't allow back packs....can you ditch them for one nite?? oh and also no open bottles of booze in the lobby!!!!
Sep 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Bob, I would never stay anywhere that discriminates against us backpackers! But thanks to all who contributed! Just buy a few rounds & enjoy yourselves at our expense! And no booze in the lobby-well it's just not our kinda hotel! And don't knock what you haven't experienced! Slumming it, is good for the soul! Suffering makes one finer & stronger! don't you know!
Sep 19th, 2005, 10:33 PM

I personaly would not use a huge backpack, I have back problems and I don't find them verry liberating (your life in one bag is not safe).

I tend to travel backpacker style in terms of budget and accomodations once and a while .

on short trips I carry a midium sized backpack, which I could easally take inside a bus.or stow in any airpplane overhead bin and in some occasions underneeth the plane seat. I also bring a messenger style bag. where I put some of my electoncs and meds for easy acces.

On longer trips 1 month pluss. I carry the same temberland backpack. but also bring a small 20 inch roller which I just put cloths. I can easally bring both in the plane cabin and not have too go too baggege claim.. If I have too take long haul bus or train I place the roller in storage bin. IF the the roller gets stolen, OH well. it's just clothes and cheep crap..
Sep 19th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

hello orgy7-our backpacks are 40 litre capacity. They are about half the size of most backpacks we see in Asia. They have a brilliant harness system and are made by Berghaus who manufacture top quality travel goods. Ours weigh around 6.5 kilos fully laden and they are very lightweight without stuff in them. Our roll-ons weigh around 2 kilos each and that's why we decided to use the backpacks. I'm converted, especially since I can walk comfortably, with it on, and search out several hotels/guesthouses before I decide where to stay, instead of having to wheel a suitcase in the grotty streats of Asian cities. Thanks for your input and I hope you're having a lot of fun, wherever you are! All the very best!
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Lyndie- we are happy for you- for you have found the mode of travel that pleases you! Speaking just for my wife and I we enjoy the 5 star hotels, porters taking our luggage (by the way we don't drag suitcases around Asian cities- who does?), cabbing around town, eating at fine restaurants and shopping till we drop- it is what pleases us, so as the saying goes- different stokes for different folks. Enjoy your vacation what ever form it takes!
Sep 20th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Dear BillT-hope you did not take my post as a criticism of 5 star travelling!!!! I only wish I could afford to indulge in 5 star hotels & 5 star limos!! It's all a a bit of "tongue in cheek" stuff! Have fun, yourselves! All the best!