Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   SE Asia: What to Do With 5 Days? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/se-asia-what-to-do-with-5-days-653801/)

eurotraveller Oct 19th, 2006 08:01 AM

SE Asia: What to Do With 5 Days?

This will be my second trip to Thailand but this time I am also spending time in Laos and Vietnam.

I will be heading back to Bangkok on November 25th for the get together at Tawandang. I will have 5 more nights and 6 FULL days (I fly out at 1:30 a.m. on the 2nd) that I don't know what to do with.

I have already been to Chiang Mai and will visit again on this trip, Krabi, Ko Phi Phi and Siem Reap.

There are some inexpensive fares to Malaysia but I no nothing about any destination there and I have very little time to research since I leave in 10 days! I just added Vietnam to my itinerary and I am on research overload so please forgive me for not researching Malaysia at this point!

Would it be worth it to fly to Malaysia? If so, where? Penang?

If it is not worth heading to Malaysia I may just head won to Ko Lanta or go explore Kanchanaburi and Erawan National Park.

I don't think American's need a visa for Malaysia but can someone tell me if one is required for a Canadian?

Thanks!

eurotraveller Oct 19th, 2006 06:46 PM

Topping to try to get an answer so I can book my flight if I decide to go to Penang.

Anyone?

Thanks!

TravelTwiddle Oct 19th, 2006 06:51 PM

Fly to Penang, take a bus to Ipoh and come visit me. It's only 1.5 hrs bus ride; RM10.00ish fare. Airport taxi is a bit steep, about RM200.00 to get to Ipoh. If you're coming from KL, get the bus from Puduraya. Use Transnasional or Plusliner bus, it's only RM13.40 to Ipoh.

Because Ipoh is rarely mentioned in touristy maps, hotel and food is still cheap. RM80 for air-con 2 star room, RM130-180 3-4 star room. internet RM3/hr, BigMac RM5.00 but beer is pricey.

Because I run outdoor experiential learning programs, I know lots of interesting and untouched places. In Nov, kids here will have their year-end holidays and we will be busy hosting outdoorsy field trips. You can join in for free. Some fodorites have joined us before. By doing this, we hope to foster some goodwill and introduce the world to Malaysia's frontier beauty. There's no catch, money isn't everything. It's just a helping hand to fellow travellers. My wife and I love travelling to unfamiliar places but we always wish there's some friendly locals we can learn from. Likewise, when we invite foreigners to tag along in our turf, we learn about their conutry too. That's what travelling is all about - personal enrichment.

For 5-6 days, you can cover these places around Ipoh;

- Cameron Highlands, 1 hr away
- Gua Tempurung cave, 30 mins
- Ulu Geroh (I may need to help you on this one with my 4WD). Google "ulu geroh" and you'd discover it's one of the best hidden gem from Orang Asli tribal villages, rainforest, waterfalls, Rafflesia flower and Brooke butterfly colonies.
- Matang mangrove forest
- watch fire-fly colonies make trees glow at night like Christmas trees in Keridu.
- climb up Kledang hill via a rainforest trail.

(perhaps you may want to skip everything and head on to Pangkor island for some quiet beach time. It's just 1 hr bus ride away)

At night, you can free&easy around the town to visit night bazaar, al fresco street food and see some historic buildings.

If you're keen, email me [email protected]. Cheers.

Kathie Oct 19th, 2006 07:31 PM

Tamara, you can easily wait until you are in Thailand to decide if you want to go to Malaysia and if so, where. Tickets will still be relatively inexpensive.

We are going to Penang for 5 days while we are in SE Asia this year. Other options include KL, a beach area on the east coast (although it is monsoon season there, I've been to Kuantan a couple of times in Nov/Dec and it was wonderful).

Tell us about what you want to experience so we can give you more guidance about what you might enjoy for 5 days.

Canadians, like US citizens do not need a visa in advance for Malaysia.

eurotraveller Oct 19th, 2006 07:58 PM

Hi TT and Kathie,

TT, I am intrigued and I have sent you an email with several questions.

Kathie, I am so open regarding my last 6 days! I am sure I will have had wonderful experiences during my trip up to this point!

I don't care about the rain, otherwise I wouldn't live in the Great Northwest, right? :-)

Penang sounds very interesting to me! Sounds cultural and beautiful although maybe a bit worn. That doesn't bother me.

Sorry I didn't add more info on the initial post. I guess that I assumed most people have seen my other posts and know my interests! I feel like I know half the regulars on here! :-)

Beaches are not a priority to me although I love the remote beaches in the Caribbean. They are hard to beat!

I love history and exploring other cultures, hence the reason I am interested in the possiblility of heading to Penang. From what little research I have done it sounds like the food is some of the best in SE Asia!

I would rather explore something "off the beaten path". I want memories that will stay with me until I am grey with well worn smile lines!

Flying into Penang is attractive to me because it is so inexpensive on Air Asia!

Kanchanaburi has peaked my interest because of the national park and outdoor activities.

Thanks!

Kathie Oct 20th, 2006 06:59 AM

Tamara, sorry, I wasn't clear. I know what things interest you in general, but I wondered what you were looking for in terms of "balance" after you other stops. Actually, you may not know until you get to that point in your trip.

We are going to Penang (Georgetown) because we are interested in the historical/cultural things there. We'll likely take a drive to a beach one day, but we are more interested in the town. I'm afraid our trip report won't be availble in time for you to make a decision, though I likely will post a little about it while we're in SE Asia, so "watch this space." We'll be in Penang from Nov 10-15.

If you want beach, the east coast of Malaysia is really lovely. The beaches are uncrowded (especially at that time of the year). And KL, if you want more city, is a very maneagable city.

eurotraveller Oct 20th, 2006 07:03 AM

Kathie, I would love to talk with you a little about the offer from the poster between your two posts. What is your user name on TT so I can send you a private message? Or, if you would rather be incognito, you can pm me by searching "happycamper1".

Thanks!

Kathie Oct 20th, 2006 07:27 AM

Tamara, you have a pm.