Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   SE Asia Mid October (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/se-asia-mid-october-1072353/)

mjs Sep 20th, 2015 09:34 PM

SE Asia Mid October

Thinking about a quick holiday to SE Asia in October. I usually go in late November but time available is different this year. I understand Northern Vietnam and Indonesia may be ok. Any thoughts about Kula Lumpur, Bangkok, Cambodia, Burma and Laos?

Kathie Sep 21st, 2015 06:57 AM

Hey, good to see you back on the Asia board! If you have at least two weeks, I'd suggest Burma. Yes, it may rain a bit, but some areas of the country are very dry (like Bagan) and a little rain will just make things green. We are headed back to Burma in early November.

Personally, I'd skip Kuala Lumpur. If you haven't been to Angkor, many people like to be there when it is wetter - fewer tourists, everything is very green. Same for Laos. You know I love Bangkok, but October is pretty wet.

Tell us what you are looking for this trip and we can be more helpful.

rhkkmk Sep 21st, 2015 03:22 PM

late Oct can be ok in BKK...

we are going to VN in nov this year and expect good weather

mjs Sep 21st, 2015 09:13 PM

Hi Kathie, how is Cheryl? Also a thanks to rhkkmk for a thought that mid - late October just might be ok for Bangkok. Have been away from Southeast Asia for a few years. Been to Istanbul, London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, Washington DC, Honolulu, San Diego and Marrakesh over the last 2 years. Needing a vacation after a rough year and have not been anywhere since January. Do not have the time to put too much effort into planning a trip as time to go is less than a month away.
Considering Currency changes in the emerging markets has led me to consider going back to Southeast Asia and South America. Also considering Lima and Cusco, Italy as I have not been in 10 years, and some combination of Tokyo and someplace in Southeast Asia.

mjs Sep 21st, 2015 09:14 PM

Also was looking at the ROS. Have they stopped their daily laundry service?

Kathie Sep 22nd, 2015 07:11 AM

I haven't stayed at the ROS since 2011! I've also been traveling elsewhere. Last I was there, they had discontinued their free laundry service, but they offered it as an option to people who stay frequently. That was such a great deal!

Certainly, a trip to Bangkok plus a beach or Bangkok plus Angkor or Luang Prabang or Penang would be an easy to plan trip.

Cheryl is well - we are both retired now and loving it. You can take a look at our recent travels at www.marlandc.com

If I'd had a rough year, I might well choose Bangkok and Georgetown, Penang as a delightful and easy combination. My hotel recommendation for Penang is The E&O - beautiful historic hotel.

marmot Sep 22nd, 2015 08:38 PM

The first three weeks of October would be a good time for Bali. Generally good weather and low tourist season. The last week of October is the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival which is worth looking into if that kind of thing interests you. If it doesn't then avoid Ubud that week.

The Indonesian Rupiah is quite week against many currencies (especially the USD) which makes Indonesia a very good value right now for some travellers.

Kathie Sep 23rd, 2015 07:26 AM

Marmot is quite right. October would be a fine time for Indonesia. Bali is unmissable, of course, but I want to put in a plug for Java as well. If you go to our photo site, you'll see a section on Java to tempt you.

mjs Sep 29th, 2015 02:50 PM

Still working on the trip! We actually may be going to Peru after reading Kathie's trip reports. Expensive but we can go to Asia when weather is better and my other option, Italy is rather pricey in October. Rather go to Italy in November or March or April when costs are lower.

Kathie Sep 29th, 2015 03:01 PM

As you can tell from my report, we loved our Peru trip. If you decide to have Totally Latin America arrange your trip do tell Paul that Cheryl and I sent you. He did a wonderful job for us - gave us exactly what we wanted. I contacted several local agents, and the others gave me canned itineraries rather than customizing what I wanted.

Keep me posted on where you decide to go. Happy planning.

needmorevacation Sep 30th, 2015 12:10 PM

We did Cambodia (SR and PP) and Vietnam (Hanoi/ Saigon) last October/into November a bit. I think we had a drizzly day in SR (nothing bad, mostly grey with raindrops here or there) and that was it- lots of sunshine!
The temples in SR were manageable, (very green!) Bayon was the only overly crowded one ( and that was the rainy day!) but that was due to a HUGE group of S.Koreans showing up right as we got there.

mjs Oct 2nd, 2015 12:40 AM

Thanks for all the thoughts. Was just about to book everything for Cusco, MP and Lima with Paul until I looked at the long range weather for Cusco and there is rain and cloudy weather the entire 6 days we would be there. Too bloody expensive to go to MP in poor weather. Will try again in June.

Kathie Oct 2nd, 2015 07:16 AM

You put a lot more stock in weather forecasts than I do! I think rain was predicted for our time there - and I was hoping we'd get some as it clears out the crowds. But we didn't get more than a few sprinkles in the whole time we were there, though some of Cheryl's photos show dramatic cloud formations.

But if you really want to avoid the rain, I'd opt for Bali/Java.