Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Getting there: Boston to China and back -- preferences?

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm off to China in September. I'm looking at airfare now and have resigned myself to coach, but going United will allow me to buy 5 more inches of legroom. My options for getting there are:

BOS-IAD-PEK or BOS-ORD-PEK
Any reason why I should choose one over the other? Other than the IAD flight being 30 minutes longer?

Coming home, it's PVG-SFO-BOS or I could do a red-eye through LAX, which I'd like to avoid since it gets me home the morning of my only day off before I go back to work. Looks like I'd have a 5 hour layover in SFO, which will be painful, but maybe getting through immigration will eat some of that.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a more comfortable way of making the trip that won't break the bank? Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stand connecting through IAD so I always avoid it like the plague. Stop over in PVG (Shanghai) for a couple of days will complete your China experience.

Aloha!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hawaiian! My last two days are in Shanghai, so that'll fit the bill! Any particular problems with IAD, or you just don't like it?
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM

IAD is ancient and decrepit imho especially terminals c & d. Facilities and eating venues are terrible. ORD is much more modernized though the walk from terminals are lengthy.

Aloha!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM

ORD is the better of the two. At IAD, you might actually have to be bussed to the customs site which takes some time. The walks at ORD are long but we've never had a problem getting to our next flight.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM

i avoid ORD at all costs....weather issues on a regular basis.. not so bad in sept... what about tornados then??

i often fly or drive to ny area to avoid this...
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM

I live in DC and avoid ORD as much as possible. IAD has many probs. But the "moving lounges" are going away and are being replaced by trains similar to Denver.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm...I don't think customs is a problem leaving the US, but coming back (I'm not coming back through either, just leaving), and weather should, knock wood, not be an issue. Still a bit undecided as here and FlyerTalk give the same pretty split preferences. Thank you!