Notices

SE Asia in December

Apr 18th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

SE Asia in December

Hello.
My wife and I are considering visiting SE Asia for a month between mid-November and mid-December. I have attempted to get some idea as to the weather during that time of the year.
Is Bali a good choice during this time period (particularly December)? What about Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia? It seems Malaysia has different weather patterns depending on the coast.
Thank you.
Apr 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM

December is rainy season in Bali. That said, I've been to Bali in rainy season a number of times and had a great time in spite of intense downpours that lasted from 15 minutes to an hour once a day. If you have a month in Indonesia, you can also visit Java (see my report from Nov http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...n-to-jogja.cfm )

As you noted, there are several monsoon systems that affect SE Asia, and weather in Malaysia (as well as Thailand) depends on which coast you are looking at.

KL is not a fascinating destination, IMO. It's good for a few days but I wouldn't build an itinerary around visiting KL.

I use www.weatherbase.com for weather information.
Apr 19th, 2013, 03:11 AM

The weather will be excellent in the peninsular/mainland part of SE Asia (Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar) and will be good on the west coast of peninsular Malaysia (including KL). In this period of the year I have also found good weather in Sabah (Malaysian Borneo).

If you are after an island or beach, I suggest that you go to southern Thailand:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Thailand/Beaches/
Apr 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM

I agree KL is good for a few days but not more than that.

Search this Thread