Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > SE Asia help, excluding Thailand
Notices

SE Asia help, excluding Thailand

Aug 13th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

SE Asia help, excluding Thailand

I have been to Thailand 4 times, and am looking for a 2-3 week trip itinerary to include Myanmar, Laos , and or Vietnam.
Places that look interesting to me are:
Bagan (balloon tour), Inke Lake in Myanmar
Luang Prabang (cooking school), Pak Ou Caves, Ban Ann Elephant Camp, Kwang Sil Falls in Laos
Ha Long Bay, Ho Chi Minh, Mekong delta in Vietnam.
No beaches.
Looking for somthing different from Thailand....have been to the north (hill tribes) Bangkok, and the south islands.
I know it is not a lot of time, but all suggestions are welcome.
Aug 13th, 2014, 07:36 PM

Choose one country and start reading about it.

2-3 weeks is a perfect amount of time for Myanmar. But you really need to do your research to prepare for that trip.

or you could spend that time in VN

or in Laos.
Aug 14th, 2014, 07:17 AM

I would second Kathie's suggestion of traveling less to see more. Why not concentrate your available time and resources on just one country so that you have the time to begin to appreciate the lifestyles and challenges of the place rather than just get the more fleeting touristic viewpoint.

If you try to cover three countries in three weeks you will automatically lose nearly 15% of your time to international travel (airport transfers, waiting time, visas, orientation etc).

The fun over the next few years can be then visiting the others in turn, or returning to visit the friends you have made.

Myanmar is the country most in flux and probably the one to visit first. Who knows if it might not get more difficult again! Balloons over Bagan is terrific. It was set up by Brett and is very professionally done - well trained pilots and good safety briefings (if you don't listen they will not let you on), Inle Lake is beautiful.

If you go for Laos... Pak Ou Caves can be underwhelming (though the river trip to get there is fun). Try Kayaking on a Mekong tributary. Do some trekking.

Don't forget Cambodia as an option. fast opening up to Chinese travelers in large numbers and arguably time is running out to see some of the temples of Angkor at their best.

Happy travels

Search this Thread