Bus Travel from Saigon, Phom Penh,Siem Reap,Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone completed this distance on a bus lately? What is your experiences of it and any suggestions for me. Thanks!!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM

reconsider??
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at talesofasia.com. I've done Saigon to PP on a mini-tour by boat, PP to SR by bus, and SR to the Thai border by car (don't think there is a bus) and on to BKK by bus. Not that recently, though, the web site will be more up to date. No problems with any of it, and I think the road from SR to the border has been much improved.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM

You can take a bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap (I have done Siem Reap to Phnom Penh)Cost is about $8.00 to $12.00 and is about 6 hours. ( Mekong Bus Company has best reputation)

Siem Reap to Bangkok. Don't fall into the traps of taking a bus all the way , as they don't do it, even though you will be told that they do. Take a taxi from Siem Reap to Poipet
(border). Its about $35.00 (although some people say $25.00)
It will take 2 hours from Siem Reap to Poipet.

Once you cross into Thailand, you take a tuk tuk ( 80 baht ) to the bus terminal at Aranyaprathet,and then a bus 205 baht to Bangkok. ..Approx 5 hours. The tuk tuk ride from the border to Aranyaprathet takes 5 to 10 minutes. Then , of course, you purchase a bus ticket. The buses run every 30 minutes to Bangkok( Morchit Bus Depot)
So, 2 hours by taxi, 1 hour to cross the border, and 5 hours by bus.
I am speaking from experience here. I was in Seim Reap in Jan.2011, and thats what I did. In August 2010, my hotel told me that I could take a bus all the way to Bangkok for $16.00.

Well,we stopped many times before we left Cambodia, and my 8:00 AM bus had me at Poipet at 1:00PM.(5 hours)instead of 2 hours by taxi.

I would never take the slow bus again to save money. Besides, these slow buses really get crowded with back packers (not that there's anything wrong with that), but,the regular bus from Aranyaprathet doesn't get as crowded.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:43 AM

All great advice above. I would add that it is worth considering the train from Aranyabprathet to BKK is the schedules work for you. About the same time and you have the opportunity to get up and stretch your legs. Beware the abundance of con artists at the Thai/Cambodian border immigration.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

This was just the information I was looking for,thanks! Our next decision is how long to stay in Bangkok. We have 7 nights in Chiang Mai so we will take a train up to there. We were planning on renting a car when we get to Chiang Mai. We will then fly to Phuket for 7 nights.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM

i don't know what you have planned for CM, but 7 nights seems like a very long time there....

for travel within the city i do not think you will be all that happy with a car rental....parking is often very difficult... for outside town it is fine, but not inside really.

i like at least 5 days in bkk
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM

I think there are much more " cons " when going from Thailand to Cambodia. People want to get visas for you, fill out forms etc etc.
I was conned on my visit in July last year, even though I had read all the information.
When I went back a few weeks later from Thailand to Cambodia, the con artists were told where to go in no uncertain manner.
As the OP is going from Cambodia to Thailand, all he/she needs to do is find the tuk tuks to take them to the bus station about 10 minutes away ( you cant walk there..too far )
Just make certain that you get this bus to Bangkok
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...&id=1239983560