Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Santa Maria Bank Transfer of Full Payment (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/santa-maria-bank-transfer-of-full-payment-1071508/)

carcassone Sep 10th, 2015 09:33 PM

Santa Maria Bank Transfer of Full Payment

Thanks to the info on this board, I've been working with Santa Maria (Kyaw win) to book flights, hotels and balloon rides. I've been happy with their service so far. Now it's time to pay and they sent us an invoice and wire information. They are asking for the full payment to be wired up front. Is this normal? Somehow, I thought I'll wire 50% beforehand and pay the rest with US$ cash upon arrival.

Can someone who has dealt with Santa Maria comment?

internetwiz Sep 11th, 2015 04:24 AM

I used them for a trip last year. I paid a third once the itinerary was set, another third a month or so before I arrived and the final third when I got there.

I'm not totally sure of the timing of my payments, but I definitely arrived in Yangon with crisp, clean bills in order to pay my balance.

See if you can negotiate your terms.

Kathie Sep 11th, 2015 07:58 AM

On my current trip, they need 100% payment (almost all for hotels) at least 30 days in advance, as that is when they need to pay my hotels in full. I'll be sending them the money at the end of the month.

I've used Santa Maria for three trips now, and I trust them. I know many others who have also used them without problems. Back in the "old days" before the country opened up, the 50% wired, 50% cash on arrival was typical. Once the country opened up, there were suddenly more people who wanted to go there - and more people who cancelled at the last minute. Hotels, which used to be fine waiting for payment, suddenly wanted payment up front. So circumstances have changed (a lot) in the last few years. Certainly talk with them about payment options, but don't be surprised if they really do need payment in full a month before you arrive.

carcassone Sep 11th, 2015 08:20 AM

Thanks for the reassurance and explanation. It's a fair amount of money so just want to do my due delegence. I actually like the idea of bring less cash.

Kathie Sep 11th, 2015 10:17 AM

BTW, my bank charges US$50 for a wire transfer, but only $30 for Western Union. I've never used Western Union before, but I plan to at the end of the month when I pay Santa Maria.

yestravel Sep 11th, 2015 12:47 PM

We have used Western Union for transfers and have not had any trouble with them. They can be less expensive than bank transfers. Our Charles Schwab account charges $25 for a wire transfer.

Silverswimmer Sep 13th, 2015 02:07 PM

As Kathie says-negotiate.
Reports indicate that many Myanmar Agents still only ask for 30% deposit with $COD. Perhaps quote that to them.
SS

Kathie Sep 13th, 2015 02:21 PM

I think it depends on what you are asking the agent to arrange. SM arranged hotels for us in Mandalay and Yangon. The hotels requested 100% payment from SM a month before we arrive. The only other thing they are arranging is a day of a car and driver and airport transfer upon arrival at Mandalay.

cwn Sep 13th, 2015 02:35 PM

We paid a 30 percent deposit about six months out for the cruise and hotel deposits.

Then at sixty days out we paid the balance. Both times by credit card. This was for our March 2015 trip. We could have done the balance on the cruise and hotels at sixty days then the rest in cash on arrival, but we had already been traveling for six weeks so doing the whole balance early by the credit card was easier.

shelleyk Sep 17th, 2015 06:05 AM

When I wired money from my brokerage account to SM 3 years ago, my broker waived the wire fee, at my request. It doesn't hurt to ask.