Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Samui Travelers, Tell Me it is Safer Than What I'm Reading : (

Old Mar 18th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm freaking out about this trip. I have read about cobras, leeches, poisonous centipedes, scorpions and to my shock, box jelly fish. Not to mention the malaria and dengue fever. Bugs in the rooms, snakes in the rooms, ants in the room, rabid dogs and biting monkeys. Seriously? I have two kids going and we're going in July (rain) when all these bugs are at the worst. I bought tickets I can't cancel. I'm feeling very stupid and trapped now about this trip. Chiang Mai is booked but we might die of leeches or dengue fever. The intent was to go to Elephant Nature Camp but that is in the jungle naturally.

Clearly, we are a family that doesn't do well with bugs or spiders the size of dinner plates. My husband will have a heart attack.

Have been weighing Krabi over Samui since perhaps fewer poisonous stuff is there but it's not clear. Samui has the better weather but Amari Vogue has sewage smells in the rainy season as well as being isolated and the Centara is full of complaints about being worn with awful service. I don't know what to do or where to put us. So many villa/bungalow properties near chaweng but if we go out, we're isolated and need to dine only where we stay.

What is your feeling or experience on the snakes and spiders and centipedes? Given we can't deal well with the above, is our best bet Chaweng or Ao nang Krabi where we can walk to dine and further away from the jungle?

Sigh...thanks for all the help so far. It's the jungle...I know.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 03:05 PM

My goodness! Are you serious? You need to do some more reading. You will be shocked - shocked at how safe it is. And the complaints about lodging you have heard are just complaints. Not everyone smells sewage, for instance. I will say that going to the Andaman Sea side of Thailand in the rainy season may not be the best idea, but lots of people do it.

Let talk about the things you seem most upset about.

1. You won't die of leeches, even if you get one on you. With the places you are going, you are unlikely to even see a leech. We saw leeches in the wilds of Borneo, but you are going to Thailand, not Borneo.

2. It makes sense to use mosquito repellant against dengue. Dengue is more prevalent in developed areas than in the jungle, and is present in all tropical and semi-tropical climes. There is dengue in Hawaii, and I expect you don't get into a panic about dying in Hawaii.

3. In my decades of travel to Thailand, and the surrounding countries (most of which are less developed than Thailand) I've never seen a spider the size of a dinner plate - or even a salad plate or bread and butter plate. I've never run into a snake anywhere in Thailand and that is over dozens of trips, many to areas less developed that where you are going. It is possible you might see a snake - very likely non-poisonous - and it will be more afraid of you than you are of it (hard to imagine, I know).

You really aren't going to be in the jungle. And what is this about "if we go out, we're isolated and need to dine only where we stay?" or :if we go out, we're isolated and need to dine only where we stay." None of the places you are talking about are isolated.

So far as I can tell, you have gotten yourself in a panic about this trip because you have no idea what these areas are like and have decided these are dangerous wilderness areas. These are well-developed beach resort areas - not jungles.

Take a deep breath and relax. Then tell us exactly what worries you. Tell us where you have read about how dangerous it is in Thailand.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Seriously, take a deep breath! Listen to Kathie, she knows what she's talking about!

We were in Thailand last year -- it is one of the most developed countries for tourists in Asia! You will not run into snakes in the rooms or rabid dogs and the chance of getting bitten by monkeys is hardly likely.

Jungle -- hardly. These are areas that are well-developed, with lots of tourist infrastructure. You will not be going into the jungle unless you choose to do a multi-day trek. And you should go to the Elephant Nature Camp - I've no doubt that your kids will enjoy that thoroughly.

Chiang Mai is a city, not a rural, backwoods village. It is the major city in the north, not a likely place for leeches!

Whatever you are reading sounds like science fiction, not reality!

Enjoy the trip -- I think you will all have a great time! Just don't believe everything you hear or read.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 04:23 PM

In all my travels in India (&)& southeast Asia (20+), I have seen very few of the things you are worried about.

I think I've seen one big spider (about the size of my fist, as few snakes dead o the road and a couple of snakes slithering off the road.

I was much more scared of the Water Moccasin that was in my pool dressing room and the cobra in my cousin's yard in Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Get your travel shots before you go, and apply mosquito repellant and sunscreen while you're there. You'll be fine.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

I keep saying that millions of people travel to Thailand and it cannot be an issue to go. Having said that, I've read countless reviews (great and terrible) about every property in our price range and on the beaches suggested. In scouring these properties there is always the one scary review of a large unsightly spider in the sheets, ants, centipedes and probably even a box jelly fish! This is my worst fear of all things--spiders, snakes in the room. The dengue fever and malaria I can deal with. The leeches (come out of the sewer in the rains evidently) I can deal with. I think there is too much information out there (internet blogs and articles) and my guidebook is Fodors. Even they stated that there are "insects" in the Tamarind Village where we are staying in Chiang Mai. I expect some bugs but now I don't think I can stay in these villas or bungalows in the Lanna style. Sadly, we are thinking the big brand named Sheraton or Sofitel might be a better fit and up off the ground on a second story or something. Because I've read so many reviews, I cannot say which it was, but one lady said there was a king cobra by the pool. One five year old died from a box jelly fish in 2012 while swimming in the churned up sea during the rainy season. I'm going in the rainy season so it feels like we can't get into the water. It's not rational, I know.

I realize, this is ridiculous but you can see I'm in a panic now. I know Chiang Mai is a big city. I picture it to be on the edge of the jungle. I don't know! The resorts just outside it seem to be in the mountains so I have this vision.

kathie, thank you for your well made points on Dengue and the spiders the size of a plate. I'm grateful for your perspective and experience! Sigh..I'm sorry, I've been researching for days.

Progol, thanks to you too for bringing me back down to earth and bringing perspective to my fears.

The items of greatest concern are this: Very torn on Gulf of Thailand side vs. Andaman Sea but have mostly decided Samui is the better place but then I read the article on the creatures and freaked out.

http://samui.thaivisa.com/warnings-w.../#.VQoVe47F8hY

In looking at Samui, it seems there are three beaches suitable for kids. Chaweng, Choeng Mon, Bo Phut. My biggest challenge is finding lodging that sleeps four of us in one room and on the right beach or on a good beach, where we can walk to other dining options other than just the resort. Mostly for variation from the resort but also just to try other places in the area. Lastly, in the event it rains like crazy, we'd prefer a large pool. I cannot justify paying $1200 a night to accomplish this. I'd pay up to $500--and it's not so simple. The Belmond gave us a very nice rate but we've discovered it's across from the beach off a busy road and up steep stairs in the hillside and the pool is small.

Kathie I started researching Samui after you were pretty sure Krabi wasn't a great fit for July and I agree with you. The Rayavadee was $700 a night and what is the point in the rain?

Anyway, bugs and where to stay are my biggest concerns. I can manage Chiang Mai and BKK. Thank you if you are still reading this.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Definitely over-reacting to everything, helped with a sprinkle of lack of good information.

you need to put things in perspective - if what you said was a truly representative view of Thailand, the place would be empty.

One word of warning though......It is often the most naive, paranoid or ill-prepared traveller that becomes the victim......usually of something they haven't even thought about.

So get a grip and do some proper reading on the subject. There are plenty of guide books etc (Fodors? Lonely Planet?) they don't do cover-ups. thailand is still one of the top world holiday destinations and not without reason.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 05:48 PM

"This is my worst fear of all things--spiders, snakes in the room. The dengue fever and malaria I can deal with." - really? I think your priorities are so wrong here!

"The leeches (come out of the sewer in the rains evidently) I can deal with. " - you seem to be a magnet for misinformation.

"I cannot say which it was, but one lady said there was a king cobra by the pool" - of course you can't, because this almost certainly didn't happen. Look up the natural history of the King Cobra.

"Chiang Mai is a big city. I picture it to be on the edge of the jungle. " - Look at a map!!!!

It looks to me like you just don't want to travel - but stay at home and be a bit hotter (it'll probably be too hot for you anyway!)
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 06:18 PM

Where to stay is your biggest concern? Choose one of the 5* properties on Koh Samui - lots of lovely choices. Consider one of the Anantaras... there are three or four on Samui.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 06:47 PM

I agree with khunwilko. Sounds to me like you're not used to traveling very far, if at all.

Not to sound like a prat, but, honestly, if you're this scared over nothing -- and let me repeat: your fears are literally over nothing -- then you very well may want to consider the advice of staying home. Traveling is about adventure -- and no one can ever guarantee anything -- much in the same regard as you might have a rat cross your feet while walking down the street in NYC. If the idea of something you cannot control scares you, then traveling outside your comfort zone may not be for you.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last time I counted I have been to 70 countries, many of them in Asia, and including Thailand. The only country in which I have seen snakes is the US. And one of them was in my kitchen.... I have seen leeches in Asia, but once was in a rain forest in Laos and the other in a coffee plantation in India. Not Thailand.

The trouble with reading reviews is that some people go overboard. Instead of reviews try, as suggested above, reading guidebooks. You might look for a second hand copy of Lonely Planet's "Read This First Asia" - it's out of print but still relevant - or Rough Guide's "First Time Asia" - still in print.

But as filmwill says, travel is about the unexpected. If you want everything to be like home, you might be better off AT home. Otherwise you need to be willing to deal with the different, the surprising, the unanticipated. Usually the surprises will be good, but not always.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correction: I should have said that the only country in which I have seen <i>wild</i> snakes is the US. Besides assorted zoos, I also saw snakes in Morocco, but they were in the custody of "snake charmers".
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 06:15 AM

Is your source of info the thaivisa website? That is a horrible resource for "information". Go buy yourself a couple of real guidebooks. I'd recommend two: Fodors and Lonely Planet. One of the problems with the web is the vast quantity of misinformation. Reviews of hotels are subject to all kinds of biases, particularly the fake reviews, of which you will find many on sites like Trip Advisor.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I have the Fodors book thanks and the advice to stay home is really helpful, thanks.

I've walked through Turkey by myself, I've been to East Africa, I've been to the Cook Islands, all over Europe, worked in Greece, Ireland, England, Scotland, Mexico, Caribbean. So please don't assume I'm not well traveled. The difference is that this time I'm bringing kids and have never been to Asia.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 09:42 AM

I fully expect you will have a wonderful time in Thailand. And I expect this will just be your first trip to SE Asia. You just need some better information and some reassurance about safety... having young ones makes even the most intrepid take a few steps back from their usual level of adventure.

SE Asia is my favorite part of the world.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, thank you for all your responses and kindness. It is indeed appreciated when help and support are needed. : )
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 01:02 AM

"If there are box jellyfish in the area (which is, indeed, a VERY rare occurrence) there will signs posted everywhere--so you don't have to worry about swimming" - OK that's not actually true for Thailand
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 08:36 AM

4 trips in 9 years to Thai beaches and there's only ever once been an infestation of jellyfish (on the Andaman side). In that case, there were signs posted EVERYWHERE (and on every beach). So which part isn't true? That infestations are rare? Or that signs are posted?

Would be helpful to provide actual counter-balanced information since you live there.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 07:43 AM

Box jellies don't appear as "infestations" on Thai coasts and there are some vinegar staions - usually defunct but no signs.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 08:54 AM

#1 Don't swim where elephants swim. Ask Teaghan why.

#2 There is travel insurance that covers repatriation of mortal remains. And med evac insurance in case there are any survivors.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 02:50 PM

http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-fr...-image33961308

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -