Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Saigon or Hanoi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/saigon-or-hanoi-210376/)

Mehmet Tugal Nov 26th, 2001 11:39 PM

Saigon or Hanoi?

We have only 1 week to travel around Vietnam and we can spare cash for only 1 flight out of Bankok to Vietnam. We have to choose between Saigon and Hanoi. From which one we can get the most out of Vietnam? We are also planning to travel towns close to these two cities.

John Nov 27th, 2001 04:26 AM

Without a doubt Hanoi.<BR><BR>It is the more French of the two and Halong bay is not far.<BR><BR>Saigon is a modern city in many aspects. <BR><BR>John<BR>www.SuiteAsia.com<BR>Travel Community and Message Board<BR>With real Experts on Asian travel

pat Nov 27th, 2001 06:07 AM

Another Hanoi support, although i haven't been to both cities, but from my friend who travel within region, because you will be in bangkok, and bkk & Hochiminh is quite a metro, so you should have a quiet and contrast view to the thing you will see here.<BR>Welcome to asia.

Sandy Nov 28th, 2001 11:17 AM

Here's another vote for Hanoi, it's lovely, it's more like you think Vietnam will be, few cars, lots of bicycles, it's more historic.<BR><BR>Saigon is just another big Asian city, all the signs are neon and in English, lots of traffic (cars). If you've been to Bangkok, it won't seem that much different.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. We had a great time in VN.<BR>Sandy

Kathy Nov 29th, 2001 08:14 AM

Another vote for Hanoi. Although I love both cities, Hanoi is far more beautiful and serene. In Hanoi, you will get to see VN as it was during the colonial days. The streets are more spacious and the pace a little slower. In comparison, Saigon will be a lot more like Bangkok-- very fast-paced and urban. I also think that there is more countryside to be seen in the North. In addition to Halong Bay, Bac Trang (pottery village) is also worth a visit.<BR><BR>Have a safe trip.

topper Dec 14th, 2001 10:31 PM

ttt

Jan Dec 16th, 2001 03:20 AM

Yep, go for Hanoi. Has ambiance that Saigon doesn't seem to be able to muster. Plenty of things to do in a week from Hanoi. The pace is slower and less agressive than Saigon.

Ursula Feb 5th, 2002 04:32 AM

Topping for Camel.<BR>PS: Will be touring in Vietnam myself in early April. From Hanoi to Saigon.

Mark Feb 5th, 2002 04:44 AM

Hanoi was interesting but almost impossible to walk around with all the beggers and touts! How many times can I say no. It seemed like where ever I went people would come up to me with some con or sad luck story. Very tiring!

john Feb 5th, 2002 06:26 PM

saigon is by far much more fun and has a greater spirit than hanoi! take a cyclo around the city (make sure you negotiate a price before you set off) and stay in an old french hotel in dong khoi street. Saigon is nothing like the urban wasteland that is a large part of bkk so ignore those comparisons. I found Hanoi to be quite boring compared to Saigon.

andrea Feb 5th, 2002 10:27 PM

Another vote for Hanoi. A hectic city, yet not nearly as intense as Saigon. Smaller, so more manageable as well. Ho Kien (?) lake & the old quarter are lovely. Be sure to get an overnight boat trip out to Halong Bay & kayak into the caves. Magnificent!! Can also travel up to Sapa from here.

bruno Feb 6th, 2002 09:24 AM

Hi Mehmet<BR><BR>another vote for Hanoi. We visited both cities and Hanoi is much less hectic as Saigon. We found Hanoi is still the real south east asia. Our Hotel - de Slyoia - was excellent for moderate price. Especially the old town of Hanoi is worth to visit. There are enough attractions around the city to see. <BR>have fun<BR>Bruno

topper Feb 14th, 2002 12:27 PM

ttt for john

Alan Mar 2nd, 2002 03:47 PM

Still another vote for Hanoi, which is far less westernised and retains far more of its character... Saigon is just another polluted Asian city, indistinguishable from many others.