Saigon and Hue for 6 days - Too much?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
SuY
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saigon and Hue for 6 days - Too much?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Saigon at the end of the year. Am going to be there for 6 days. Was also hoping to see Hue and drive down to Danang and Hoi An.

3 quick questions.

1. Would that be too much travelling?

2. I presume the best way to get from Saigon to Hue is to fly. Where should I buy the plane tickets from?

3. What is the best way of driving down the coast? Should I rent a car or hire a driver?

4. Any suggestions on accommodation in Hue?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Hello!
I think Hue, Danang and Hoi An can be done in a total of 2 or 3 days.

Yes, you'd want to fly from Saigon to Hue. Vietnam Airlines is the way to go.

I think you'd be okay if you drove yourself from Hue to Hoi An. It's not hectic like Saigon is, but then again, I had a driver, so I just sat back and enjoyed the sights!

Cannot remember our hotel in Hue, but I do remember there being a rather large on across the main street....

Good luck!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:46 PM

There are regular buses and taxis from Hue to Hoi An. I would not drive in Vietnam! Crazy drivers!

The Saigon Morin Hotel in Hue could probably arrange for a taxi for you or a bus if you prefer. It is a lovely place to stay and their staff are very hospitable. You can buy airline tickets as you go. Vietnam airlines are close to the Rex Hotel in Saigon. Just go in and take a number then wait until they call you. Also most hotels have a travel desk and add a small amount on airline ticket prices, for their commission. Good luck!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:15 AM

In Hue we especially enjoyed our stay at the Morin Hotel, cited above. It's everything you ever dreamed of -- French, lovely, great food, very helpful staff. Overlooks the Perfume River and its busy bridge. Great for people-watching.

Saigon? Well, it's big and noisy and not much to see. We spent time on the Delta and would just as soon have spent less time in Saigon (or Ho Chi Minh City). Frankly, our favorite city is Hanoi. Talk about atmosphere!

The drive between Danang/Hoi An to Hue is spectacular, and we recommend you hire a car and driver. Reminds one of Big Sur country in California, high cliffs above the sea coast.

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:26 PM

I just returned from a Saigon, Hue, Hanoi trip. I did it all in 5-6 days. Here's my comments, mind you I travel fast, but not hurried:

Saigon is good for 1 day to see the city and 1 day to see the Meekong Delta. No More. Vietnam shines outside the major cities. Don't linger in the cities, just smog and traffic.

Hue: I stayed at the Saigon Morin which was nice(older structure) but I would look at the Riverside Hotel for my Next stay. More modern, right on the River. Mind you they are both more money hotels. Hue is one full day to see the local city sites and if you want to see the DMZ, i'd stay an extra day.

I did not see Hoi Ann but all I heard repeatedly was very good things. If you had to choose between Hue and Hoi Ann, it would be Hoi An. I did not go to Hoi Ann because I was tight on time and thought that it would take a long time to get to because it had no airport. This is not true. Just fly to Danang and take a cab or bus to Hoi An. Very quick. Then move by land from Hoi An to Hue. I flew to Hanoi from Hue and spent 1.5 days there and felt I saw everything i wanted to see. Definitely fly in and out of Hue-Danang-Hoi An area. It' cheap and fast.

If you drive you shoud hire a car and driver. You can figure this out when you get there i would think. We hired a car-driver & guide to go to the DMZ and it was well worth it.

Have a good time!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:34 AM

Hanoi is preferable to Saigon, no question. Consider taking the overnight Reunification Express from Saigon to Hue. Saves on accomodation, and it's a great way to meet other travellers and the Vietnamese public. Personally I'd avoid Danag and spend more time in Hoi An. Don't even think of driving in Vietnam.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM

In response to the question which is the title of this thread: Yes. Six days is too long. Personally, I would skip Saigon entirely unless you want to visit the Mekong Delta area (the big floating market in Can Tho is amazing). Hue is good for one day, to see the Citadel and one of the royal mausoleums (huge parks, not just tombs), Danang is easily skipped. Hoi An is a charming old city, but two days is plenty (the Cargo Club is a good restaurant there).