Safety concerns about living in Malaysia for 1 year

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am posting on behalf of a friend.
My friend applied for a Fulbright Scholarship (the Teaching Assistantship one). She was very excited when she found out that she got into this very prestigious program, but overwhelmed because she had applied for Korea, but got Malaysia (a place that she hasn't researched).

She has a very short time to make the decision on whether to accept or not, and is torn about her decision mostly because of safety concerns. She heard about the terrorist activities in the east of the country, and the statement on the US travel site "Violent crime against travelers and expatriates is relatively rare" is quite vague, and not reassuring. She is also afraid of standing out and attracting unwanted attention - she is tall and blond.

Because Malaysia is a new participant in this program, not very many details have been worked out. She would be placed in Jahor, Terenngannu, or Pajang. She would be living in a residential school in a remote town/village and teaching English for 20 hours a week for a year. There would not be any sort of overseeing body that she'd report to nearby (Fulbright has a center in Kuala Lumpur).

Does anyone have any information regarding safety issues in those three states? First hand knowledge, especially from long term stays, would be especially helpful.

What are the living conditions in remote towns in that region of the country? Are there parts in those areas that are very difficult to access and travel to and from?

I appreciate any information you may have!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM

Malaysia is a modern, developed country. It has excellent medical care and very good infrastructure.

In any case, Malaysia does not have a significant problem with terrorism. I did a google search, and found this page of stats:
http://www.nationmaster.com/red/coun...errorism&all=1

Your friend is likely safer in Malaysia than wherever she lives in the US. Crime rates are low. I'm not sure why you find the statement on the US travel site not reassuring. That's about the most positive statement I've read about a destination on the US state department website!

I've visited Malaysia a number of times over the last 20+ years, but have not lived there. I'm sure you'll get some additional responses. I'd suggest your friend buy or borrow a good guidebook, as it will give her lots of background information.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the danger of terrorism was greater over the border in Thailand. However, the north-east states are definitely more fundamentalist than the rest of Malaysia - I felt a little like I had strayed into a nunnery with all the women wearing long white head scarves. She will certainly stand out, and should probably dress modestly, but I don't think that she should feel unsafe.

I checked the UK Foreign Office web site (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...eania/malaysia ), as the advice there is often different. Their concern is about Sabah, rather than the mainland, although they do note a general concern about terrorism, and there is also a note about not traveling to the southern provinces of Thailand. (I recently transited the west side without trouble.)

I've enjoyed visiting Malaysia, and wouldn't hesitate to go back - although perhaps not to Sabah at present.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM

i personally would take malaysia over korea any day... it is hot however...
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM

Should read as Johor, Terengganu and Pahang.

Terengganu as with one or two other Eastern states have a more conservative population.

Generally there shouldn't be any problems with personal safety. Obviously there's still a need to take the usual precautions etc.

Some villages can be quite remote and accessibility can be a little difficult. Having said that most places would have modern amenities like electricity and running water.

If there's a choice I would prefer Johor. BTW I live in Singapore.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Living in remote villages means having all the basic necessities except for luxuries and entertainments. Nature is just at your doorstep away. Other than that, you're fine. On weekends, you can just get a ride to the bigger towns and get what you need.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM

It is good to see KMLoke’s point of view, as someone on the ground is always helpful. Here are my thoughts. Malaysia is an absolutely wonderful country with lovely friendly people, beautiful countryside and great food. I personally wound not hesitate to live there for a year or longer (I have lived in Singapore and Hong Kong for a total of more than 15 years so far).

Malaysia, like virtually all of SE Asia, is extremely safe. One of course takes normal precautions with purse and wallet, but for the most part “crime” rates are ridiculously low when compared to the US. She may find in rural areas that people do not even lock their doors.

The US State Department website tends to be on the <u>very</u> conservative side. Please read a few of their statements about countries you know well, and you will get an idea of the conservative position which they take. For example, if you read their travel warnings on Spain, Germany and Italy, you might never want to go there. See http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...24.html#safety,
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...23.html#safety and http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...46.html#safety. And that bastion of safety and security in SE Asia, Singapore, does not come off well either, see http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...17.html#safety. Good thing I was not aware of any of that when I was living there…..

Please also have your friend consult a map, where she will see the that “east” of Malaysia is <i>an entirely separate island (Borneo) thousand of miles from the mainland</i>. It’s kind of like avoiding Chicago because there was a terrorist incident in New York. The incidents which occurred there were on remote islands off of Borneo, and involved terrorists who lived in the Philippines. In addition, the incident cited on Sipidan occurred over 10 years ago, in 2000. I am not aware of any recent events.

Malaysia is not a poor, developing, “third world” country. It has a booming economy and a stable government. Public transport and basic services are well-developed. Even in rural areas, she should find a more than adequate level of services and lifestyle.

Johor State borders Singapore and is quite developed. Terengganu and Pahang States are further north on the east coast and are developing, but are more rural. These two states are also more conservative in their outlook, esp toward women, but overall I don’t think she would find it difficult to live there. The only area which might be of concern is the very far northern part of Kelantan State which borders Thailand. (It is in Thailand where the terrorist activities have been an issue for many years. But these people are trying to disrupt the <i>Thai</i> government, not the Malaysian government.) But even then I don’t think she would have any reason to be concerned. For example, hundreds of thousands of tourists travel to Koh Samui each year via Surat Thani and other southern mainland Thai ports, and I am not aware of any reported incidents involving them (and neither is the US State Department from what I see on their webpage for Thailand.) And Phuket, also in southern Thailand is a huge tourist area and to the best of my knowledge, the State Department has not advised people to avoid traveling there.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Depends how remote. She may feel pretty isolated if she is the only foreigner around. In KL there is a big expat community so plenty of support. Terrorism is not the main issue. I was in a market once in Kuala Terrenganu with a Caucasian friend (young and attractive) and she felt intimidated after being follewed when I left her on her own for a bit.
This site may be able to help:

www.expatkl.com
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:25 PM

I just came back from Malaysia not too long ago. I felt very safe and the people are very friendly. But of course, like in any other place, even the US, you should never walk alone at night and be aware of your surroundings. Remote villages are a bit more conservative, but still safe. So no short shorts and she should be perfectly fine.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"you should never walk alone at night"

That's a bit sweeping! I travel solo so if I followed that advice I'd never leave my hotel after dark. Better to phrase it as don't walk alone late at night or in creepy, deserted areas.