Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Safe to visit HK after alleged terrorist threat ?

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Cozaar

Hi guyz,planning a trip to HK in early Otober.
l just got news from the media that there were 7 alleged terrorists that were arrested in Macau.They were reported to have plans to exert terrorist threat and bomb the USembassy,and US organisations in HK.The Us consulate was even closed on Sept 17 yesterday altho' re-opened today.l'm very worried now and contemplating to cancel or postphone my
October trip.You know how terrifying these terrorists are.
What's the current atmosphere and situition in HK today?How has this affected the local HK people?
Is it still safe to visit HK now?
Thanx for your input!

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Ross

I'd still come, but you of course need to make your own choice. Personally, I think staying home in the face of quite remote threats makes terrorists and their supporters dance all the harder. It's a different story, of course, if you're thinking of visiting someplace like Israel, where threats to personal safety are much more acute, or Egypt, where you'd be supporting a country where there's been open support of the recent atrocities.

Here's a link to the South China Morning Post's latest report on the arrest:

http://china.scmp.com/ZZZ8AJQWJRC.html

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 05:54 AM
John Roberts

You are going into an area that is basically a police state that is very controlled. That does not make you 100% secure but nowhere in the world is totally safe. You still have use common sense while operating in a large city. I agree with the other person do not stay home, go and enjoy the sights of this wonderful city.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:14 AM
Barry

Would you cancel a trip to Minnesota if there was a bombing in Chicago? Same thing.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:32 AM
matt

hey, i'm like really scared about the whole terrorist thing too! i'm not planing a trip but i will give a message
that may help you with this situation. God is in control and we need to look to him for help, whatever happens wgen you get on that plane is what God wants to happen. now trust him and enjoy your trip! (p.s. that's a simly face!)

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 02:02 AM
Sandy

I come from Hong Kong.In fact it is not a big due in Hong Kong.All things are ok at here.Enjoy your trip in Hong Kong!