Ryokan and places for sitting/relaxing

Mar 29th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Ryokan and places for sitting/relaxing

I will visit Kyoto later this year and think it would be lovely to stay in a very nice ryokan. I am a bit concerned about the comfort, though. In all the photos that I have seen, I don?t recall seeing any western-style chairs, just futons (for sleeping) and some very, very low chairs for eating at the table.
I could imagine spending hours looking out at the garden while readin a book or sipping tea, but I would really enjoy doing this in a comfortable chair. When people are in their rooms at a ryokan (especially the upmarket ones like Tarawaya or Hiiragiya), are there comfortable places to sit?
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Usually there will be a small table with a couple of regular chairs in the room, especially in the nicer ryokan.

The little low chairs are surprisingly comfortable..Your back will be supported and you legs can stick out in front or curl up.
Mar 29th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Nice ryokan are indeed very comfortable, and the low chairs are great. Actually, this year, after almost 9 years living in Japan, we bought some low chairs for our living room and love them.

The nicer rooms in nicer ryokan often do have comfortable chairs in a garden viewing nook in addition to the low chairs around a low table in the main room.

There is also the bath, where really everyone goes to relax. Often there is a lounge area adjacent to the bath with reclining chairs, and if you are lucky, massage chairs.

Kim
Mar 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM

I've stayed at the Hiiragiya(in room number 33 I think) and they did have a couple of western style chairs and a small table in one corner of the room. The room overlook the inner courtyard of the inn with a nice peaceful Japanese garden. I think you will indeed find it very peaceful and relaxing.

Search this Thread