Royal River Hotel Bangkok?

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal River Hotel Bangkok?

Hi

I wasnt to stay on the River aftrer reading various reviews and advice ( first time to bangkok)
Does this hotel fall into this category? it appears a lot cheaper than say the other obvious choices like the Pen etc

We fly back at 2.30am on the 18th of Jan so I fell we should book the hotel for an extra night so we have use of the room until 11pm etc but not inclined to pay the Pen rates foe an entire extra day so if there is a cheaper hotel option in the same area it might be a better idea??

Tks
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM

The Royal River Hotel is not nearly as nice as the other riverside hotels. The Marriott Resort and Spa and the Hilton are both on the river and much less dear than the Peninsula yet still quite nice.

In the past when we have stayed at the Peninsula and had a 1:00 am flight, they gave us the room until 4:00 pm, then they kept our bags for us, and we could use the pool and health club until we were ready to leave the hotel around 11:00 pm. It worked out very well for us...we spent the afternoon at the pool, had a nice dinner, showered at the sports club and were all set. There was no charge for this or for the 4:00 pm check out.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:19 AM

Try the Shangri-la or Sheraton. Both 5-star but not as expensive as the Pen.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:29 AM

Any of the upscale hotels will let you keep your bags there as long as you need. You can use their health club to freshen up before your flight,
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Right so!

Thanks for that - think I;ll stick with one of the better known 5 stars! its the last 2/3 days of our honeymoon.

I would like luxury - we are staying in the Banywan Tree in Phuket so I reckon we will have the authentic thai experience there(?)

Any one of the main suggestions stand out for any particular reason

I don't really want to spend anymore than 200 USD per night for the amount of time we will actually be in the hotel

Tks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM

i have stayed at the royal river twice, about 10 years ago and last year...

it is about a 2.5* hotel...it is very basic...yes it is right on the river...the rooms are ok but nothing lux at all...very basic....the beds are comfortable....the river shuttle runs very infrequently....the breakfast is horrible...horrible!!!

but the worst thing we found was getting there and back...it can take up to 40 minutes to get to the nearest skytrain station....you have to go through an area of very heavy traffic...

i would not stay there again...

we use it because northwest airlines offers it as their basic hotel...

try the marriott....
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:32 AM

marriott should be about $140 per nite on the discount sites including tax and breakfast...