Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Royal River Hotel-Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/royal-river-hotel-bangkok-61847/)

Sue Feb 5th, 2000 04:54 PM

Royal River Hotel-Bangkok

Has anyone stayed at the Royal River Hotel??? Is there an easy way to access the tourist areas from there? Would riverboat travel be advised or cabs? Is there any shopping near the hotel? We will only be there for 2-1/2 days.

pat Feb 6th, 2000 12:58 AM

It is easy to travel by boat, because the express boat service serves you in front of the hotel. From the hotel it is not far from Grand Palace complex (Ta Chang stop), and you can take it to touristic area as well. One shopping mall near the hotel is Tang Hau Seng, but it is not as popular as Central on the other road, not too far from your hotel. <BR>

Tracy Feb 9th, 2000 08:07 AM

Hello Sue, <BR>Just got back from the Royal River yesterday! Nice hotel although not in the heart of town. Next door is the river boat express which will take you anywhere. Also the hotel has a free shuttle every two hours to take you to river city. I suggest getting the Nancy Chandlers map in the drug store at the hotel when you arrive. It will list all of the express boat stops and attractions. Best map available. Cabs are cheap but do not use the taxi stand at the hotel or the ones hovering around the river city area. They will try to charge you a flat fee. Pick up the business card at the hotel desk which has the hotel written in Thai as it will make it much easier on your cab drivers. To catch a cab at the Royal River walk out the gated entrance and start walking to the main street to the left and hail a moving "meter taxi"...same with river city get out of the area to a main drag and hail a moving taxi and make them start the meter...if they wont start it get out of the cab and hail the next one right behind it. They are everywhere. All the tourist areas are filled with touts trying to triple or quadruple the fare giving you a set rate. Just walk a block or two to get out of those areas to get reasonable fares. An average fare in a taxi in Bangkok was 50 to 100 baht so no more than a couple bucks and the touts will tell you at least 200 to 300 baht than they want to take you shopping where they get a commission.A huge waste of time and they sometimes will leave you stranded at the store if you don't buy anything since they won't get a commission. Bangkok can be a confusing city to navigate but if you stick with the river boat, metered taxis and skytrain you will have no problem. If you get the Nancy Chandlers map have the night manager pen in the route of the sky train for you. It just opened a couple of months ago so its not on the map. He can also write down the names of the places you want to go in Thai but refuse the offer of his taxi services. <BR>Royal River is a nice 4 star hotel and the breakfast buffet is great. I wish I was back there as I watch my tan beginning to fade! Happy travels!

colin Feb 23rd, 2000 11:52 PM

stayed at the royal river a few times and really enjoyed it.apart from the free boat to river city they also run a free bus to pink lao shopping centre.or from river city get a taxi to any of the tourist attractions,depending on your interests.the royal river also has some of the best food in bangkok,much better than some of the so called royal thai ciusine restaurants i,ve been to.for more information please feel free to e-mail me.

Ursula Mar 6th, 2002 02:03 AM

topping for the one who is looking for info.

Mary Anne Cook Mar 6th, 2002 02:17 AM

I have just returned from staying at the Royal River for the second year. Everything you have been told is absolutely correct. It is my favorite hotel-the best in every way.

Donna Mar 10th, 2002 09:31 AM

Was wondering if the Royal River Hotel has balconies? Is it best to get a room on a high floor to be able to see around? Thinking about this hotel or the Menam, but can't seem to get any info on the Menam Riverside.

Mary Anne Cook Mar 11th, 2002 08:06 AM

Yes, The Royal River has balcony rooms on the river. Just request one.