Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers Vs. Peninsula (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/royal-orchid-sheraton-hotel-and-towers-vs-peninsula-468754/)

erany Aug 20th, 2004 11:49 PM

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers Vs. Peninsula

What hotel is better for a 3 night honeymoon ?
The prices are almost the same...
thanks.

Walter_Walltotti Aug 21st, 2004 07:45 AM

If that is comparing a std room (as opposed to a Towers room)in the Sheraton with a std room in teh Peninsula there is no competition inmy opinion, - I have stayed in both and the Peninsula wins hands down.

If its comparing a towers room in the sheraton with a std room in the Pen, its not so easy because you get cocktails, breakfast and limited clothes pressing at the Sheraton, but only Breakfast at the Pen. But, I still think the Pen has the edge because its so stylish.

A big plus for the Peninsula for my money is how the hotel markets itself. The Sheraton seems to attract a lot of incentive travel and large groups (when I was there, a few years back mind you, the hotel was heavilly booked with a party of people about to join a cruise liner). The peninsula by contrast seems to concentrate more on the individual traveller.

The difference in age of the hotels may be significant to. The Peninsula is only about 6 years old, whilst the Sheraton is quite a bit older.

The peninsula is on the opposite side of the river, to the other main river hotels (such as the Sheraton, Oriental and Shangri La) but it has a lounge next to the Shangri La where you catch one of the hotels boats to the hotel (v cool). The Peninsula also offers a free boat service to the monorail.

Kathie Aug 21st, 2004 07:52 AM

You should be able to get a Towers Suite at the Royal Orchid for the price of a regular room at the Pen. Check the Starwood website or call the 800 number. They will guarantee lowest available prices.

I've stayed in the Towers at the Royal Orchid 20+ times, so I know the amenities well. They have just finished refurbishing all of the rooms, and did a major remodel of the top floor that holds the Towers suites. The Towers at the Royal Orchid includes full breakfast and evening cocktails and canapes plus 6 pieces of laundry per person per day in the room price. You also get free internet access in the Towers lounge. All of the Towers suites are located on the top floor of the Royal Orchid and have full river views. There is a wonderful Mandara Spa at the Royal Orchid and they have couples packages (you get a massage together in a double room, etc.).

I don't know the Pen as well - have only visited, not stayed there. Others will provide you with more detail. The Pen is a more luxe hotel overall. You won't get the amenities of the Towers. The Pen is renowned for good service. I don't know whether it will be as personalized as that at the Towers (I know I get extra consideration because I've stayed so many times).

996tt Aug 21st, 2004 08:39 AM

I asked for a upgrade and they gave me a balcony suite on the 14th floor. That is what makes this one of the best hotels in the world. The view from the balcony is simply stunning because you are looking at the view of the city including Shangri-La and the Oriental. Can't go wrong with Pen

rhkkmk Aug 21st, 2004 08:48 AM

the two hotels are not of the same class....the penn is far superior in almost every way....among other things it is much newer than the sheraton...the rooms are much more lux...the restaurants are better....only the pool (at the portugese embassy) at the sheraton is slightly better....

no choice---PENINSULA!!!!!!