Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Revamp of Klong Saen Saep? Brad, Orgy - details?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a little side bar in today's "Pursuits" section of the Wall Street Journal saying that a walkway has opened next to the notoriously polluted Saen Saep Klong allowing pedestrians to wander from Soi 3 all the way to Soi 63. Is this for real? It sounds too good to be true. The article says that there is a new sewage treatment plant and that sewage that used to be dumped into the canal is now diverted into a tunnel underneath it. This sounds like a great way to observe life along the klong without being at the mercy of a boat driver. Can anyone provide further details?
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Hi-

When we were in BKK last month, we took the public boats cross town on Klong San Sap from Asok to Wat Saket. It looked like there were walkways most of the way alongside the canal, but most of them went by private homes.
At one point we had to walk alongside the canal for about 3 blocks to find a stop so we could go back and I felt a little like an intruder walking through people's backyards. It was also really hot, so I can't imagine walking very far.

If you'd like to see some pictures from the canal, they're on my website;
http://www.wired2theworld.com

Old May 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Kristina, thanks for the link to the photos - I see what you mean about you feeling like an intruder. Asok to Wat Saket is in the opposite direction of the new walkway however - don't know if that makes a difference.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Craig-
Oh, ok. You're right, I didn't catch that. From my map, it looks like Soi Nana is Soi 3, and Asok is soi 21.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

So then the question is what was it like from Soi 21 to Soi 3?
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I suppose I should have continued...I wasn't thinking about where it actually was, just about the canal in general.

I can't remember exactly what it was like between 3 and 21, but I remember it being more interesting as we got further west, toward Wat Saket. I think most of my photos are from that area since that's where the boat had to slow down to go under lower bridges.

I'd be interested in taking the boat further East, toward soi 63 to see what's out there.