Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/robinson-store-bangrak-bangkok-has-it-reopened-999725/)

progol Dec 8th, 2013 03:15 AM

Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?

We'll be staying at Centre Point Silom in January and I was wondering if the Robinson store, which had been closed for renovations, had reopened. I read that it was supposed to reopen on Dec. 5, but haven't seen anything more.

Thanks,
Paule

kmkrnn Dec 8th, 2013 06:44 AM

The robin sons is still closed and that whole block is closed down

progol Dec 8th, 2013 06:51 AM

Thanks. Hope it's open by January. Is it dangerous if the whole block is closed?

rhkkmk Dec 10th, 2013 04:47 PM

no..

it did not look like it would be opening any time soon

progol Dec 11th, 2013 02:36 AM

Thanks, Bob.

Hope you had an easy trip home!

b__b Dec 11th, 2013 02:49 AM

We stayed at the Centre Point Silom in the first week of December and were there for the opening of Robinsons. It opened on December 5th, of course for the King's birthday.
We could enter from the hotel but the main entrance from the street going towards the river was also wide open. McDonalds on one corner was also open and attracting a lot of attention. I think there were 3 floors open.

rhkkmk Dec 11th, 2013 12:05 PM

WOW, they must have cleared things up very quickly...

progol Dec 11th, 2013 12:47 PM

Good to hear, b_b.

What did you think about the hotel?

b__b Dec 12th, 2013 01:29 AM

Yes they certainly moved fast and must have worked all the last night as it still looked quite a mess when we walked in still dodging the work equipment etc.I can see how you would think opening was months away rhkkmk
The hotel itself was very comfortable and really a first class hotel... Our river view from the 23rd floor was superb. We booked about 3 or 4 months ahead and had a deluxe double room with breakfast for a very reasonable rate..about 125aud a night.The accommodation was very spacious including a separate kitchenette. They had a superb buffet breakfast with an enormous range of cereals, fruit, fish and meat dishes, eggs cooked to order, cakes ..wonderful.. The location was also excellent..only a few minutes walk to the Thaksin station for the sky train and to Central Pier for the ferry...We found a nice restaurant in the street leading to the Shangrila which I didn't note...M??? I believe there are more restaurants in the area we could have tried. It doesn't seem to be far from the Oriental as well for instance though we didn't get there... but at the end of our trip we were ready to take it easy and use the hotel restaurant which was fine.
Good to be aware that you need to be ready to pay the 1,000 bhat deposit for each day on checkin and full payment for the room in advance. We did find that they were happy to refund some of the deposit the day before we checked out which saved us a trip to the ATM. Overall we thought it a wonderful spot to relax and explore Bangkok with ease.

progol Dec 12th, 2013 02:24 AM

Many thanks, b_b! I really appreciate your detailed description of the place and am feeling comfortable with the decision to stay there. I was beginning to consider other places to stay, but your post has reassured me.

I booked the room with AA miles, although have upgraded to a river view for an extra fee, so have not been asked for a deposit. Perhaps we'll have to do that on arrival?

b__b Dec 12th, 2013 03:03 AM

Yes the deposit was needed on arrival..We had to pay cash as we only use a debit card but a credit card might have sufficed.
You mention dangers in an earlier message..I should say that we felt quite comfortable walking around in the evening in the local area ..

stitchintime Dec 12th, 2013 05:45 AM

Was the grocery store open yet? It was on the lower floor.

progol Dec 12th, 2013 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info, b_b! Again, very helpful. We do use a regular credit card so I don't imagine we'll "feel" the deposit. But good to know about it.

b__b Dec 12th, 2013 08:38 PM

Yes the daily deposit, although refundable, is a little unusual and actually threw us off balance a bit after a long journey...but really no problem of course.
Re Robinsons...didn't explore down to the lower floor and didn't notice any groceries..lots of ladies' accessories and small clothing was the major impression.