rkkwan Christmas 2007 Hong Kong dining report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been doing this for a while now, after each trip to Hong Kong and Macau. Note again that this is <b>not</b> a recommended list. Just a sample of what kind of food and price range is out there in Hong Kong.

I don't think I chose in advance where to eat even a single time. It's always someone else's recommendation, or I just walked by the place when I was hungry.

<b>12/18/07</b>

Breakfast was dim sum at the <b>Goldsar Seafood Restaurant</b> in Causeway Bay. I've eaten there a few times during my last trip too. Reason is its location. Closet dim sum place to where I was staying. 9 Tung Lo Wan Road, 1/F. HK$65 for three.

Lunch is dim sum again, but at one of the higher-end and fanciest place in town, <b>Cuisine Cuisine</b> in the ifc mall. The proprietor was the top chef at the Hang Seng Bank club decades ago, responsible for the &quot;5-snake banquets&quot; for the rich and famous in town. The current restaurant serves very solid traditional dim sum for lunch. While expensive, I think <b>it's a steal</b> at HK$140 per person because of the quality of food, service and location (with partial harborview). People say they have the best &quot;char siu&quot; (roast pork tender) in town, and my dad didn't disagree. [They are advertising for its abalone set dinner on a card on our table. A table of 12 can cost HK$40,000 there.] 3101 ifc Mall. $830 for six.

Afternoon snack was at <b>Cheung Kee</b> on Cheung Chau. I went there last spring for its traditional fish ball noodles, and went there again this time. I had eaten there since a kid. $16 for a bowl of the fish ball noodles. 83A Cheung Chau Praya St. [Turn right from the ferry pier, ~100 yards on left.]

I was too full for dinner, so had another snack instead. Ate at <b>Yee Shun Diary Company's</b> Mongkok branch. This is a popular dessert restaurant in Hong Kong and Macau with various locations. I had their most famous item - &quot;Ginger Juice hit Milk&quot; - a bowl of coagulated milk with texture similar to &quot;tofu fa&quot; ($20). Also had a HK-style french toast for $16. 246-248 Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mongkok. [MTR: Prince Edward, exit B2]
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks rkkwan. Your restaurant feedback reports are always interesting. We will be staying at Metropark in Causeway Bay later this year so we might give Golsar a try.We will also be going out to Cheung Chau. Last time we didn't know where to eat so we just chose what looked ok on the restaurant strip. We will keep a lookout for Cheung Kee too. Thanks again ( I know you said you are not necessarilly recommending just reporting so will take that into account).
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Peteralan - Well, Cheung Kee is indeed an establishment that's worth having fish ball noodles. Also try the fried fish skin. This place I have no problem recommending for a snack. Portions are fairly small, one bowl is not enough as a real meal.

---

Anyways, I'm researching for the name and address for some places I ate. I'll continue the reports later on. Thanks for your patience.

Meanwhile, you can read my ongoing report of my 10-day trip to Sichuan here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35094827

Or my experience in flying international business class, first time in almost 20 years:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35099537
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
yk

Peteralan-

We just got back from Hong Kong and stayed at MetroPark Causeway Bay for a total of 8 nights. Feel free to ask me any Qs about the hotel.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

yk - I forgot to tell you that on Electric Road just outside the Tin Hau MTR exit, there's a place for western breakfast. I had veal sausage with eggs and beans and toast for only about HK$40, I think.

Good place for those staying at Metropark or L'Hotel who crave good western breakfast for cheap.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks again rkkwan. Thanks also rk. Were you happy with Metropark? We have been to Hong Kong many times over the years and I love it but we have always stayed Kowloon side. Wanted a different experience this time. Can you walk from Metropark to Happy Valley race course?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
yk

Peteralan- We were quite satisfied with MetroPark. The first 2 nights we stayed in a Harbor View room. The other 6 nights we stayed in the cheaper standard room. The Harbor View room is more spacious and brighter, though the standard room is still ok (at least bigger than the hotel rooms we stayed in Paris). The harbor view room can get a bit noisy from the traffic. Our room was on the 12th floor and we can hear the noise quite a bit, especially after 6am when the traffic picks up.

The standard room faces another residential building, and our room was on the 20th floor. It is more quiet in comparison.

I'd suggest you ask for a room on the higher floors regardless whether you have a harbor view room or standard room, if you're not used to city traffic noise.

We didn't use much hotel services, didn't eat at the 2nd floor cafe though we saw many westerners go there for breakfast. There's free wi-fi in the room, and if you don't have your laptop, the business center on the 2nd floor has 2 desktops where guests can get on the internet for free (opens 8a-8p).

We didn't use the gym but we looked at it. It's quite nice with a great paranomic view. Pool was closed during our stay (closed Jan/Feb). It looks kind of small.

The staff is very courteous and helpful. Our non-smoking room didn't smell of smoke at all (unlike some other hotels which claim they're non-smoking have rooms reek of cigarette smoke).

It is quite far to walk to the Happy Valley Racecourse. But you should be able to take the tram there. The tram stop is just round the corner from the hotel.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Thanks for that rk. We are booked into a harbour view room but after reading your note I think I will contact the hotel and ask for a room on a higher floor. Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I have ignored this thread for a while, as I was busy finishing off my trip report to Sichuan and processing and posting those 1,000+ photos on that part of my trip:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/f1048124216/

But I have not forgotten about this thread, so here's the continuation:

<b>12/19/07</b>

Had dim sum breakfast with my aunt and uncle at the <b>East Lake Seafood Restaurant</b>, which I have eaten at several times before, and have commented on it. Nothing special. Just decent food close to where my aunt and uncle live. 3/F Kornhill Plaza North, 1 Kornhill Road. [MTR: Taikoo, Exit A2.]

We had lunch at a family friend's place, but we bought some Chinese roast pig from <b>MX</b>, which used to be called Maxim's Fastfood, to their place to eat together. MX is similar to Cafe de Carol and Fairwood, but they have Chinese roast stuff like roast pork, roast pig, soy sauce chicken, etc. [Many locations throughout Hong Kong.]

For dinner, I was by myself in Causeway Bay. Found a little diner called <b>Win's Restaurant</b> just across from the Jia Boutique Hotel (and close to the Regal and Lanson Place) with both Chinese and western food. Because it is fairly new, they hire someone to stand outside the restaurant to introduce their specials. It may sound unbelievable, but it's even cheaper than Cafe de Carol! I had a set dinner with &quot;Broscht soup&quot;, pork chops, spaghetti on the side, and milk tea. All for HK$30. No tips needed!

They also have a Chinese-style dinner for $38 with Chinese soup, rice, choice of entree (with 4 choices, one of them a fish dish) and tea. I saw some people went there together so they could order one of each entree and share. Very nice and economical. 54 Jardine's Bazaar. [MTR: Causeway Bay, Exit F.]
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

<b>12/20/07</b>

Breakfast was dim sum at <b>Goldsar Seafood Restaurant</b> again. Funny, it came out to $65 for me and my parents, just like 2 days prior.

Lunch, I met up with a friend at the Harbour City shopping center. That's not the cheapest place to eat, but she knew of a place called <b>Double Star Cafe</b> in the Ocean Terminal part of Harbour City. It's comfortable, with some view of the harbor, and food not too bad. They have several western style lunch for only about $85, including soup and a drink. That's an incredible price in Tsimshatsui with service. Ocean Terminal 301/301A. [Go up the stairs from the Star Ferry.]

I had dinner at a friend's place.

<b>12/21/07</b>

I had breakfast with a friend at a little French-style cafe near Tin Hau. I apologize for not writing down the name, but it's on Electric Road, right outside the MTR entrance, and very close to the Metropark and L'Hotel. $40, and I get veal, eggs, some beans and toast. Very very nice - stuff I never expected near Tin Hau. If and when I find out the name, I'll post it. It's on the even-numbered side of Electric Road, very low number. [MTR: Tin Hau Exit A2]

Lunch was with my uncle at the Jockey Club Happy Valley Clubhouse, just like previous times. But this time we went to <b>Gallop</b>, their mainstream Chinese restaurant, for dim sum. My uncle paid, so I have no idea how much.

I had dinner at another uncle's place.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the long delay. Was busy fixing photos and other stuff.

<b>12/22/07, Winter Solstice</b>

Skipped breakfast, as I was still too full from dinner at uncle's place.

Lunch was dim sum with some family friends at the <b>Hunan Garden</b> 洞庭樓 at Exchange Square in Central. This is one of the many restaurants in the Maxim's Group, and the quality was again very good. Despite its name, its lunch offering is not much different from regular Cantonese stuff. Others picked up the bill, but I think it'll be about HK$100/person. 3rd Floor, The Forum, Exchange Square. [MTR: Central, Exit A or Hong Kong, Exit A1]

Met up with a highschool friend for afternoon tea in Central. Went to a place with a very very old name. <b>Tai Ping Koon</b> 太平館 was established in Guangzhou in 1860 as its first restaurant that serves western cuisine, and is still run by the founding family, now with four locations in Hong Kong.

The afternoon tea is a great deal for two people. Four snacks and two milk teas for about under HK$100 for two people. And very very comfortable place to sit and chat. For normal meals, they serve a Chinese/Hong Kong style of western food. 60 Stanley Street, Central. [MTR: Central Exit D2]

Dinner was a big family dinner for the Winter Solstice, at the <b>Ho Choi Seafood Restaurant</b> 好彩海鮮酒家 in Wan Chai. If you read my previous trip report, you'll know that my family likes to eat there. Solid middle-of-the-road Cantonese food. Winter Solstice is a family gathering time in Chinese societies, almost like Thanksgiving. For this dinner, my uncle has pre-ordered some huge grouper fish and lobsters and other seafood. Comes out to about HK$300/person. 3/F China Resources Building, 26 Harbour Rd, Wan Chai. [MTR: Wan Chai Exit A1]
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

12/23/07 to 1/1/08 was on a trip to Sichuan China. Long trip report here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35094827

Picking up after that trip:

<b>1/1/08</b>

It was late when we got back to Hong Kong, and tired. So, my parents and I had a very simple dinner at <b>Fairwood</b> 大快活. Fairwood is one of the three main fastfood chains, along with Cafe de Carol and MX. Quality of food there is really getting better and better, especially for the slow dinner period. Three of us shared two meals - a Chinese meal with dried scallop soup and roast pork/chicken and tea for $38, and a curry brisket with rice and tea for $26.5. Cheap and fast. Dozens of locations all over HK.

<b>1/2/08</b>

Breakfast was dim sum at <b>Ho Choi Seafood Restaurant</b>, again, in Wan Chai with relatives. I didn't pay, but probably about $40/person.

Later in the morning, I met up with a couple of friends at the <b>Delifrance</b> in the Olympian City 2 Mall. They're pretty bad. I ordered an iced latte, and the guy just poured it out from some pre-made stuff already in the fridge. And not cheap either, something like $20.
Many locations around HK.

Lunch was with a friend at <b>Genki Sushi</b> 元氣壽司, still inside Olympian City 2. This conveyor belt sushi place has been around for a long time, but first time I ate there. And fish is fresh and not too bad. Not a bad place to have some cheap sushi. We ate plenty of stuff, and it came to about $100/person, fraction of the cost if one goes to a real Japanese restaurant in HK. About 25 locations througout HK.

For dinner, another friend drove me to Tai Mei Tuk, at the edge of Plover Cove Reservoir in the New Territories, to have Thai food at <b>Chung Shing Thai Cafe</b> 忠誠茶座. Very casual place, under a large tent. It does feel like dining in Thailand, except it was pretty cold that night. Very authentic and high quality food. For example, huge prawns in their Tom Yum Koong. Dinner for 3 of us cost $350, including a nice house dessert with red beans, mangoes and other sweet stuff. 69 Tai Mei Tuk Village. [Bus 75K or Green Light bus 20C from East Rail's Tai Po Station]
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

1/3 and 1/4 were actually spent mostly in Macau with my parents, sister and BIL, but I'll just include that part here instead of starting another thread.

<b>1/3/08</b>

5 of us had a quick breakfast at <b>MX</b> at the Macau Ferry Terminal. I can't remember if we ordered two breakfasts or three. But either way, very very cheap.

Over in Macau, we were planning to eat at &quot;A Vencedora&quot;, a very inexpensive Macanese-Portugese restaurant we had eaten dozens of times in the 70's. I last ate there in 2004. Unfortuantely, it was closed for a few days after New Year, and we just missed it. So, instead, we took the bus over to Taipa and ate at <b>Restaurante Dumbo</b> 小飛象, a large and popular restaurant just off Rua do Cunha.

Some friends have advised me to stay away from Dumbo or Pinocchio, the two large eateries there; and to try some smaller ones. But for lunch on a non-holiday weekday, those aren't open. Anyways, we ordered all the mainstay in Macanese Portugese cuisine like African chicken, ox tail, grilled bacalhau (salted cod), etc. And I think while mainstream, it's actually not that bad. And pricing is very reasonable. MOP522 (US$65) for 5 people. Rua do Regedor Loja A, Hei Loi Tang Kong Cheong, Taipa. [Get off any bus from Macau to Taipa Village at Rua do Cunha.]

For dinner, we headed to the area in old town center around Rua da Felicidade. There are lots of popular local eateries, some pretty expensive, like &quot;Sai Nam&quot;, world famous for its shark's fin soup. We went to a much more affordable one, <b>Vun Kei</b> 煥記. We ordered basically two main things - shark fin's soup with chicken for MOP550; and they have a huge sea bass for MOP10 per tael, which is really really cheap, so we had about 20 taels, about 1.5lb. Finally bill, MOP810 for 5 people. What a bargain! Travessa da Felicidade No.1-3 RC.

For dessert, we crossed the narrow street and went to <b>Po Kim Dairy</b> 保健牛奶 to have &quot;double skin milk&quot;, &quot;ginger milk&quot; and other desserts. Similar stuff to the more famous Yee Shun Dairy that has multiple stores in Macau and Hong Kong. About MOP15-16 per bowl of the dessert, compared to HK$20 I had in Yee Shun in HK. Travessa da Felicidade No.4.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

<b>1/4/08</b>

Our package at the Royal didn't include breakfast, and there aren't that many dining choices around it. Fortunately, there's a little Chinese diner one block NE of it on Estrada da Vitoria, called 西灣安記. Not sure of Portugese/English name.

Food is typical of the diner we called &quot;cha charn ting&quot; ( 茶餐廳 ) in Cantonese. But prices are quite high, as everything is a la carte. Their milk tea is very good though. I think we spent about MOP90-100 for breakfast for 5.

We ended up having lunch there too, before heading to the ferry pier. Around MOP180 for 5. If one's staying at the Royal, that's the closest place to eat, and you can feed yourself for about 1/4 to 1/5 the cost compared to inside the hotel.

Dinner was back in Hong Kong, at the <b>Ho Choi Seafood Restaurant</b> one more time. It was a dinner party my parents threw for all my relatives in Hong Kong, to introduce my BIL to everybody. They gave us a private room with 4 tables and excellent service. We didn't go for the expensive stuff like shark's fin or abalone (which can easily top HK$10,000 per table of 12). Instead, we go for seafood again, with including a large grouper fish for each table. Final tab, including everything is $18,500 for 4 tables. There was enough food for 12/table, but some couldn't make it, so there were about 10/table. Or about $450 per person. Very reasonable.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

<b>1/5/08</b>

My last full day in Hong Kong, and I had caught the flu. So sick that I didn't go anywhere all morning. In fact, I can't remember if I ate anything at all.

I did cross the harbor to Kowloon and had lunch with a friend at a small noodle place near Mong Kok. It's famous for its wonton, and it's indeed pretty good. Don't know it's English name, but in Chinese it's 美味村. About $18 for a bowl of wonton noodles, quite a bit cheaper than Mak's. 38 Boundary Street, Mong Kok. [MTR: Prince Edward, Exit A]

Final dinner in Hong Kong was at the very very nice <b>Long Men Lou</b> 龍門樓 vegetarian restaurant inside the Nan Lian Garden. Ran by the non-profit Chi Nin Nunnery. If you haven't been to Chi Nin Nunnery and Nan Lian Gardens, you need to go, even if you're not having dinner. Reservations is highly recommended (tel: 3658 9388). The 5 of us ordered their 4-person wild mushroom set dinner for about $980. Even 5 of us can't finish, and quality very good. 60 Fung Tak Road, Kowloon. [MTR: Diamond Hill, Exit C2. Walk through Nan Lian Garden to get to the restaurant.]

Pictures of Nan Lian Garden here:
rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p109490864/

---

So, that was it. Questions and comments welcomed.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Update:

I found out that the little French cafe I had breakfast on 12/21/07 is called <b>Cafe Eos</b>. They have a few other locations in Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, but this tiny one I went to at Tin Hau is the best, according to some friends. Shop 8, 42 Electric Road. [MTR: Tin Hau, Exit A2]
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 09:26 AM
yk

Just a minor error - at Dumbo Restaurant in Taipa, Macau, we had ox tongue (or beef tongue), not ox tail.