Riverside hotels in Bangkok?

Feb 10th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Riverside hotels in Bangkok?

I found a nice one (http://www.navalai.com/ anyone stayed there?) but would love some other recs.

Also, having never been to BKK I'm just assuming staying by the river is nice...if I'm off base with that please let me know!

thanks, mp413
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM

mp - there have been endless discussion on this very topic, so do a search and that will give you loads of info. I personally LOVE being on the river BUT there are reasons not to as the topics you will find will reveal. My own favourite? The Peninsula but has become way to expensive, i will give the Shangri-la a try next time.
It all depends on your budget really.
Feb 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM

We absolutely loved the Arun Suite at the Arun Residence......it was our first trip to Bangkok as well and we could have spent hours watching the boat traffic (wait a minute, we did spend hours watching the boat traffic).

It's a small hotel - really more of a B&B than a "boutique" hotel.

Here's the Arun Residence website (don't be tempted by the other rooms - go for the Arun Suite - which isn't really a suite because the patio serves as the living room)

http://arunresidence.com/

Here's a link to our blog with tons of photos

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/2...res/d_bangkok/

Feb 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I'm a river person. Like others have said, watching the river traffic is endlessly fascinating. I don't know the Navalai, and from their description, it sounds like they aren't "on" the river, but "in the vicinity." I never know what that means except that you are unlikely to have a view of the river. The website looks lovely.

If you do stay there, please report back!
Feb 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Best value on the river has got to be the Marriott Resort and Spa!
Feb 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Friends stayed at the Arun last year and really liked it. They've been going to Bangkok for 20 years and have stayed at a lot of places, but like small hotels. Happy Travels!
Feb 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow these are all great suggestions. Arun looks really beautiful, and right near where I need to be for work purposes. However amenities at Navalai seem like better value? ($56 room at Navalai has bathtub, DVD player, & hotel has a rooftop pool) However, that view of the temple from Arun's rooms must be amazing! Navalai is right on the riverbank like Arun, there might be some space b/w the actual river & the building but from the photos you can see the river quite well from the restaurant and the river view rooms.

Peninsula & Marriott look very nice but I prefer smaller hotels - I like those personal touches! (Marriot is a really good deal though from the looks of it).

I think I'm going to try Navalai! I will let y'all know how it is in a month.

thanks for the help!
Feb 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM

The Navalai looks lovely. I would opt for a river view room. The rates look good too once you go to the reservation page. I like that they include both breakfast and all taxes.
My only concern would be the location. It's very near Khao San Road which is great if you're 20 and want to party. On the other hand, Phra Athit road is pretty "hip" and had quite a few cute shops, cafes and little restaurants.
One good thing is that there is a river boat stop very close, but keep in mind those boats only run during the day. If you want to go out at night, you'll have to stay local or take a taxi.
Please report back and let us know how you like it.
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the neighborhood info Kristina, I know nothing about BKK so that's very helpful. I am 20-something but I'm not in BKK to party (sadly!); I'm actually there for a training before moving up to northern Thailand permanently. I wanted to be near the office in BKK and Navalai seems to be less than 1km away so for this trip it's ideal.

Will definitely post feedback!
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM

mp413-
Khao San road is certainly worth a look. It used to be backpacker central, and still is to a degree, but it's starting to get a little more upscale and a lot more Thai 20-somethings hang out there now from what I've read. But I walked throught it about a year ago and it didn't seem like much had changed in the last 10 years.

How long will you be in BKK and will you have any time to sightsee?
What will you be doing in Northern Thailand?
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like a neat area Kristina, I can't wait!

I only have 3 days in BKK this time, then head straight to Mae Hong Son up north. I'm a lawyer & will be working up in the refugee camps - actually, including the very one Angelina Jolie visited a couple of days ago! I'm sure I'll be back to Bangkok every once in a while, domestic flights look very affordable.

One more thing about Navalai in case anyone else considers staying there: the rates on Agoda are amazing, around 60% of what they are on Navalai's site.
Feb 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Have you looked on the reservation page for specific dates?
When I look at my dates for July a river view room on the Navalai site is 2800 baht and it's 2370 on Agoda. I don't know if there is an advantage of booking one way over the other, except a savings of 430 baht a night.

Have you looked at the trip advisor reviews?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...t-Bangkok.html
They look pretty good...
Look at the photos posted by users. Looks like the hotel sits right on top of the river ferry pier. This could be very noisy during the day due to the whistles they blow, but you probably won't be there at that time anyway.
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Elizabeth, I just came across your post on the Arun Residence. My husband and I will be in Bkk on 10/22/09 for probably 4 nights at the begining of our trip and another 2 at the end. We are looking for a small hotel in Bangkok and the AR looks like just the place we were hoping to find.
I saw that they have two other suites besides the one you stayed in, did you get to see them by any chance?
I am also wondering how close the b&b is to the skytrain and other public transportation.

I really enjoyed your pictures, by the way!

Feb 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM

When comparing hotel rates just remember that Agoda shows the rate before adding the 17.7% taxes/service charge. So a Navalai river room in july is 2800 net on the hotel site and 2874 net on Agoda's site.
Feb 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM

i do see one pic which makes it look like the hotel is right at the river...

it would not be my choice of locations but i will be anxious to read about your experiences...

it gets decent trip advisor reviews..

if it is nice, it will turn out to be a great find....certainly the price is reasonable...
Feb 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM

kikiv

They have added rooms since we were there - when we were there there were 5 rooms

- Chaba, Leelavadee, Lotus, Orchid and the Arun Suite

Of those 5, I would only recommend the Arun suite as the views from the other rooms are "peek-a-boo" views - in some cases the view window looks on the restaurant so you would have no privacy, or the view window is set up high on the wall.

The Arun Suite has marvelous views - but isn't really a suite as it doesn't have an interior living room (although the giant terrace functions as one).

The Jasmine and Ratchapruek Suites are new and look very nice - smaller terraces but real suites. (I also noted that the Arun Suite has new furniture so it's likely been updated at the same time as the new suites were built). I can't see the rates right now (website is down right now) but assume the suites are all similar in price.

If we were to go back to Bangkok (and we will) the Arun Suite would still be our first choice (for the terrace) but the 2 new suites would be definite fall backs .

Re public transportation - we didn't take the Skytrain and I don't think it was nearby anyway. We walked a lot from this location and there was always the river for transportation as well. We're not shoppers and we didn't go to the club area so transportation wasn't a big deal for us.

Hope this helps.
Feb 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Elizabeth, thank you for the info.
We are not club people either!
We prefer smaller hotels that are in convenient locations where we can walk to restaurants etc.

I've emailed the hotel to check if they have the AR suite available.

Feb 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Ahh - I see you guys are looking at the special rates on Navalai's site (I was comparing to the full rate). I was looking at rates for March 18-22, maybe rates for July are higher on Agoda? But even with taxes and fees, the city view room is $59/night on Agoda, and $65 on Navalai's site with the special rate.

Well I appreciate all the feedback! I will let you know how it turns out.
Feb 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

FYI - I ended up booking on www.booking.com rather than Agoda because Agoda wanted to charge my card the entire charge for all four nights and wasn't very clear about the cancellation policy. I paid about $65 for city view room, and I can cancel without penalty up to 7 days before check-in date.

Will let you all know how it turns out!
Feb 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shuh, the Royal River Hotel looks nice, if a bit old-fashioned - their rates are on par with Navalai but it looks like you can get a room with a view of the river for less than at Navalai.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO