River Kwai Tour Bangkok

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
River Kwai Tour Bangkok

We have a two night stay in Bangkok in June, and have booked the River Kwai tour for one full day, has anyone experienced this ?? We are staying at the Montien Hotel, any comments appreciated Thanks
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Hi sheba. We were in Bangkok (also at the Montien) last December and did the 2 day river kwai trip. I included an overnite at the jungle rafts on the river and was fantastic. There were people on the bus with us who were only going on the day trip but we split from them after lunch to take the boats to the rafts, so I don't know what they did in the afternoon. In the morning, we visited the cemetaries, one of the war museums and also walked across the bridge. Then we went to lunch and on to the rafts. If you have the time, I'd highly recommend the stay. That afternoon we went to a local village and the next day to hellfire pass. BTW, we really enjoyed the Montien. It's very close to the nite market which is lots of fun to wander and not far from the "red light" area - which is also an interesting place to visit. Never felt unsafe in either place.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sharon, that is very helpful, unfortunately we wont be able to extend our stay so will only be able to do the day tour wn leave B/K early next morning to go to Phuket, I am looking forward to the markets though!!! What clothing did you wear for tours, what was weather like, we are going in June, Just wondering if this will be the rainy season? Thanks again Val
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Hi Val. We were there in December so it was dry and very hot in Bangkok and a little cooler up north (chiang mai, chiang rai and mae hong son). So I can't help you with June weather but there are a lot of good sites on the web that you can refer to. We just wore shorts and t-shirts almost the whole trip. The only time we put on pants in Bangkok was when we went to the grand palace because you have to cover your legs there (men and women). But otherwise casual was fine everywhere. We didn't eat at the real fancy hotels where I understand you do need to dress up, but that's not really our thing. We also didn't go to the beaches in the south - just not enough time. If you're traveling around tho, make sure you each carry a small container of purell (or some generic hand sanitizer) and pocket packs of tissues for bathroom stops.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM

As Sharon says the overnight trip is not nearly such a rush, I see from your address you are from Australia so I pressume you would like to visit the War Graves and I think you really would want to see Hell Fire Pass and the cemetaries, Museum etc. In June yes you could get rain, wear comfy loose fitting clothes but good and sturdy walking shoes. I think you will find som much you will want to see around the River Kwai it might be worth considering flying later in the day to Phuket, your transport on the way back from River Kwai could wave down a taxi for you at a convenient place as he enters BKK and then go on to the airport ( just a thought )the flight is just over 1 hr and if you are on Thai flights are roughly every hour until 9 pm