Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Ritz-Carlton or Fullerton in Singapore (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/ritz-carlton-or-fullerton-in-singapore-276341/)

daisy Nov 27th, 2002 06:17 PM

Ritz-Carlton or Fullerton in Singapore

Would any Singapore frequent traveler or locals tell me which of the above hotel should I choose to stay? I will be going there with my husband and parents in Jan 2003. My parents do like luxurious style hotel, and convenience to major shopping and dining is important too. I saw on Ritz Carlton site that they claimed their room is 25% bigger than those 5 star luxurious hotels. And also Ritz is a bit more expensive than Fullerton, so is the premium worth to pay? Or is Fullerton worth to try consider that Ritz Carlton is quite common in other places of the world.<BR><BR>Please advise. Thx<BR>Daisy<BR>

Ryan Nov 28th, 2002 04:57 AM

I don't know about the Fullerton, but we had a beautiful room on the Conceirge Floor at the Ritz. It was fairly spacious, for a standard sized room. There is a shopping mall just across the street.

David Nov 28th, 2002 06:43 AM

For more information about The Fullerton find the old discussion board about Oriental vs. Fullerton. People do refer to the Ritz Carlton. The recent issue of Conte Nast Traveler gives high scores for the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, and Oriental in Singapore. The Fullerton is on the &quot;Hot List&quot; for 2002. You can get some good deals there but it is probably not as luxurious as the Ritz Carlton.

WAYNE Nov 29th, 2002 12:40 AM

Do a search and you can find my detailed description of the two hotels.Personally I wld stay at the Fullerton because it is newer and has Philip Starck bathrooms.It is also nearer to the MRT and Boat Quay where you can take the river cruise.It also has the best chinese(Jade)and french(Lighthouse) r'rant in Singapoe.You can also walk to club street, chinatown and tanjong pagar for colonial charm.Dont forget to try the excellent Salt r'rant in Amoy st.<BR><BR>Having said that, the Ritz has the sexiest bathrooms overlooking the city skyline and the new Esplanade.Their rooms are indeed 25% larger. It also has service good enough for Bill Clinton to send the butler a thank-you card.It has the best jap and 2nd best chinese r'rant in SIngapore.<BR><BR>Whichever you choose, you wont be disappointed. You chose 2 of the best hotels in SIngapore.

dko3tgk Dec 2nd, 2002 04:14 PM

I don't have alot of experience with Singapore hotels, but I was at the Ritz this past summer. <BR>The room decor is a little sterile, but my standard sized room was very large, very luxurious feeling. While I didn't pay for the city view, the river view was also very nice. The bathroom is still the best bathroom I have had in SE Asia, not counting the outdoor bathroom in BAli. Large shower, bathtub with a great view. <BR>The breakfast was above average for SE ASia, the gym was well kept. The pool tries for a roman-greco look. Service is great. And for the price available on alot of Asia hotel websites, I can't complain at all. $150-$250 for a room like this can't be had anywhere in NY, LA, SF, or Boston, that's for sure. <BR>It's also connected to two malls which opens up alot of shopping and dining options.

lynn Dec 5th, 2002 12:10 PM

Stayed at the Ritz in 2000. It was wonderful. Our door had been left open just a hair one night and out of the blue, we got a call from security to close our door!<BR><BR>Talk about secure! We weren't worried about a thing staying at that hotel. Staff was also very nice. We called housekeeping for a portable fan (we like air movement) and they didn't have one but said they'd find one. 20 minutes later a lady appeared with a 4' tall stainless steel fan! We had it for all three days we were there.<BR><BR>Get a view of the skyline. It's fantasic. Especially from the bathtub while sipping champagne and eating chocolate!<BR><BR>We paid $210 with the better view.

mauld Jan 7th, 2003 09:17 AM

I've got a reservation for the Club Floor at the Ritz for next week. I've got a room with a 'Scenic View' (SGD 325), but the 'Marina View' rooms are SGD 50 more. Is it woth the extra for the Marina View, or should I take my chances and ask for an upgrade to that view at check in?

Nancy Jan 7th, 2003 09:28 AM

Singapore's marina/harbour is not really that spectacular or exciting, it is nothing like Hong Kong for example. The city view is actually pretty interesting, given all the different architectural styles of the skyscrapers. I would say it is not worth the extra money, and a good city view may beat certain of the marina views.

mauld Jan 7th, 2003 10:40 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I'll stick with what I've got!

wayne Jan 7th, 2003 07:53 PM

The Ritz room is romantic and the bathroom even more so.If you are the kind who would succumb to the mood of the moment at least you wouldnt have to draw your curtains as the city view rooms faces the Centennial Tower office block!<BR><BR>With the sea view rooms, only the birds would see you. I like lots of light in my bedroom and never draw the curtains so I'd pay the extra SGD50 for freedom of expression.

Myszka Jan 8th, 2003 05:16 AM

WE have friends in Singapore, and they recommended that we stay at the Four Seasons. It was fantastic. They picked us up at the airport at one am, and had goodies in the car for us plus a wet wash cloth. When we arrived at the hotel , they had a beautiful fruit plate for us and asked us if the could send up anything more for us to eat? This was about 1:45am. The service was unbelievable. Our room was luxurious. They even knew us by name everytime we went in and out of the hotel. We were so impressed with the Four seasons we made the mistake of staying there when we flew to Vancouver a few months later. In Vancouver, if I ever go there again, I'd stay at the Ritz. Myszka

mauld Jan 9th, 2003 08:19 AM

Does the Four Seasons have a club floor? One of the reasons I chose the Ritz was the availability of drinks/snacks throughout the day--included in my rate. When checking the web site for the FS, none was showing.