Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Rinca from Labuan Bajo, anyone?
Notices

Rinca from Labuan Bajo, anyone?

Feb 8th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Rinca from Labuan Bajo, anyone?

I'm looking to take a boat from Labuan Bajo in Flores for a day trip to Rinca island to visit the Komodo national park - lots of mixed reviews on booking this in advance. Has any one tried this or is it best to turn up at LB and book a boat on the spot? Any suggestions are welcome
Feb 9th, 2017, 08:03 PM

I can't recommend a specific operator, but I would caution you to be VERY careful in your selection as there is a wide range of competence and safety. Unfortunately there have been some tragic events in the area and the small operators are not tightly regulated. If you're traveling during the rainy season (now until end March) be aware that you might encounter high seas and rough weather.

If you book from afar, make sure you have recommendations from actual passengers. If you book in Flores, take the time to look at the vessel, see the fire extinguishers and count the life jackets. Rinca and Komodo are fairly close to Labuan Bajo (2-3 hours) and there will be many options to choose from, but put your safety first.
Mar 19th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marmot for the response - I am planning to visit in July by which time the seas would be calmer.
Would you have any suggestions on tour operators in the Surabaya area? I am looking for help in getting from Surabaya to Mt.Bromo and back - I am not really keen on the dawn visit of the volcano but do want to visit it post breakfast . I found some tour operators online but want another opinion.
Mar 19th, 2017, 08:18 PM

I don't have a recommendation of a tour operator in the Surabaya/Bromo area. I think your choice would depend on how much time you want to spend off the beaten track -- trekking, photographing etc.

You might consider staying in the Bromo area instead of commuting from Surabaya. The countryside is phenomenally scenic and you'd get a better exposure to different areas and different times of day. In that event your hotel in Bromo would arrange to pick you up at Surabaya airport and you could contract for a local guide once you're on Bromo.

Java Banana is recommended (though I haven't stayed there myself).

Search this Thread