Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   RHK's start spring Asia trip, sadly sans Gpanda's (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/rhks-start-spring-asia-trip-sadly-sans-gpandas-840383/)

rhkkmk May 15th, 2010 11:12 AM

RHK's start spring Asia trip, sadly sans Gpanda's

We depart tomorrow for approximately one month to SEA. This trip has been planned for over two years, but intensely planned for about one year. As many of you know our good friends, the Gpandas, will be unable to join us this time because of andy's illness, but we will make up for that with several future trips together. We are sad with this recent development, but know he belongs here in Boston getting the best care medecine affords.

i booked our tickets about 350 days ago (korean air books 352 days in advance) through Delta, on Korean Air. We are very excited to finally get a chance to try Korean.... the award was 60,000 miles each plus $61. each for taxes, plus $20 for telephone assistance from Delta (i find this is $40 well spent). The routing is Boston to DC on Delta, an overnite in DC (my choice); then Korean Air direct to Seoul, arriving about 5PM (14+ hours); an overnite at the Incheon Hyatt in a club room (FF pts); and lastly a 6PM departure to Bali, arriving about mid-night. The reverse trip is slightly different, by my choice: Bali departure on Air Asia to K/L, where we switch (hopefully) to another A/A flight to Penang, arriving about 8:30 PM; A/A flt to Singapore; and finally Sin to Incheon to DC, all on Korean and finally Delta to Boston, arriving about 5:40 PM.... The A/A flights were inexpensive flights booked on line, including advance seat assignments and the medium level of baggage limit as extra expenses. I was and am thrilled with this routing and all of the pricing.

The air asia flts were $ 70, $ 25, and $ 40 inclusive each, and were all at fantastic times, except the penang departure which is about 8AM.

We had the whole accomodation thing planned for the 4 of us in bali, but after Andy got sick we decided to alter almost all of the bali accomodations as most of them were in luxuary 2 bedroom suites, which were no longer needed. I will interject here the current accomodation plan:

The hyatt is right at the airport or close-by. The FF cost is now unknown as it is not on the reservation, but it was reasonable. The club floor will be perfect for us with all the extras it brings to the table and also late check out i hope.

We will then stay at Alam Shanti for 5 nights, first in the lux Yamuna room for 3 nights and then 2 nights in the Narmada room ($150++ and $115++, including breakfasts). At the conclusion of that stay we have rented a car for the remainder of our trip. This may be a mistake but at $12.50 per day inclusive with 2 free days, it's a steal.

We will first drive east to Tirtagangga to the water palace there and stay within the palace at the Tirta Ayu Resort in a pool villa for 4 nights----$100++ including breakfasts.

From there we head to the north coast to Kalibukbuk in the Lovina area to the Rambutan for 4 more nights in a large villa--- $85.50++ including breakfasts.

From there we head south west to Tabanan to the newly renamed Pan Pacific Nirwana Resort (formely the Le Meridien) for our final 4 nites in Bali-- $120++ no breakfast. I had a Meridien res and PP will honor it.

In Penang we will stay at the newish Clove Hall Hotel in Georgetown. 500RM net including breakfast. We will have the Saffron suite which is 1/2 of the upper floor. We are very excited about our stay here.

Finally in Singapore we will be at the Intercontinental on Middle Road. $165++ (family and friends rate).

We are off to a wedding tonight so i may add a bit more before we depart.

shelleyk May 15th, 2010 11:22 AM

Have a wonderful trip. There is so much good information in your first post. I can't wait for your day by reports. We've never been to Bali, but it is on my bucket list.

Craig May 15th, 2010 11:24 AM

Bob, we are sad that the Pandas can not join you on this new adventure. However, it sounds like a fantastic trip. We may return to Bali some day and look forward to hearing all about it. As you know from our discussions at last month's mini GTG, we look forward to hearing all about your time in Singapore and Malaysia as we will likely be following you to the Clove Hall in Georgetown and the IC in Singapore next July. It appears that you will be missing Bangkok - yes?

usernameistaken May 15th, 2010 11:52 AM

Have a wonderful time and write with lots of details! For the first time since 2003, I have no trips planned and am living vicariously through all y'all.

thursdaysd May 15th, 2010 12:06 PM

Sad you have to go alone, but best wishes for a fabulous trip. The Bali accoms. sound great.

Kathie May 15th, 2010 12:19 PM

So sad andy and Beth won't be with you, but I do look forward to your on the ground report.

ekscrunchy May 15th, 2010 12:49 PM

Have fun, Bob and Karen! Hope to hear from you soon!

We will keep Panda busy while you are away---I have plans to sign him up for a few great deals--one of the best requires only that he pay $565 clerical fee and, within three business days, he will receive fourteen million dollahs! If you are interested, I will give you the address in Kano.

barefootbeach May 15th, 2010 03:16 PM

So sorry to hear that gpanda won't be going with you at this time. Say "hi" to Putu for me...he was looking forward to seeing both of you again.

DonTopaz May 15th, 2010 03:24 PM

Happy travels to the K's.

Bad deal re: the lemons in Panda's dossier. Maybe some lemonade can be in the offing?

filmwill May 15th, 2010 03:30 PM

Have a blast...looks like our original plan didn't work out for all of us, but I know you guys will have a great time irrespective. Can't wait to hear all about it (you'll probably get to finishing your trip report before I finish mine from April!) :)

We plan to keep the Panda entertained in your absence.

BTW, you two MUST try Sari Organik restaurant in Ubud. It was our favorite place we ate at (we went back 3 times for lunch!) Definitely a lunch place only, though--it's a stunning 10-15 min walk off the main road into the rice paddies, and then, in the middle of nowhere, is a lush oasis where you can take your shoes off, lounge on comfy floor pillows at their tables and overlook the amazing scenery--nothing but verdant rice fields, the token Balinese "scarecrow" flags flying in the wind and really yummy food.

The owners have their own wonderful organic garden below the restaurant and all of the ingredients come directly from it. Best nasi goreng (made with brown rice) I had the entire trip. It's a bit hippie, but I can assure you the food is tremendous and the setting is unparalleled. Hope you and Karen try it out!

Ditto on Putu: please say hi from David & I.

Safe travels!!

Gpanda May 15th, 2010 04:15 PM

So Einstein booked flights with ridiculously long layovers in both DC and Korea. They've booked hotels to cover the time, but the whole process would be too frustrating for those of us that actually value our time. I fully recognize that any time spent out of needham is a vacation, but two long layovers is not the way to go.

Beth and I are sad that I won't get to torture Bob close up. I know it drives him crazy every time I do the muscle trick. Plus, I won't get to watch him suck up to the various general Managers. Oh well, I can plan something extra special for our next trip. Do I get any bonus points if I make him cry?

Clove Hall looks very good. It will be interesting to hear how Albert likes it.

simpsonc510 May 15th, 2010 04:27 PM

Hey, you two, have a wonderful time on your journey. It sounds like you have everything planned, from A to Z, as usual. I hope it all goes well.

Gpanda May 15th, 2010 04:29 PM

BTW, Beth and I went running today, about 2 1/2 miles around Fresh Pond. I put some clothes on to go, spandex shorts and a polypropylene shirt. Beth said I had to change because I looked Like a susage. Panda Sausage? Probably not a big seller.

laartista May 15th, 2010 05:24 PM

Safe travels- Have a wonderful trip!

rhkkmk May 15th, 2010 08:38 PM

did she hitch you to the collar and leash as usual...??

thanks for the kind comments.....the wedding was fabulous btw and my grandchildren were exceptional as junior bridemaids and junior ushers and flower girl...

i avoided the male guest with the dreadlocks... i think he was from cambridge---another einstein no doubt

Hanuman May 15th, 2010 09:26 PM

Bon Voyage Bob! Are you sure you don't want to drop by Bangkok to see us?

kmkrnn May 16th, 2010 05:15 AM

Thanks Hunuman...we will pass this time. BUT, you need to get this mess cleared up by the fall when we are comming back and hopefully with the Panadas. Thanks everyone for all your wishes. This will be an adventure as we plan to drive all around the edge of Bali.

Nywoman May 16th, 2010 06:53 AM

As usual a bit tardy. Have a fabulous trip despite the loss of your best travel companions.

Hopefully will see all 4 of you when you return to USA.

tengohambre May 16th, 2010 07:26 AM

Have a great time. Although Andy and Beth may not be with you on this trip, the rest of us can enjoy their running commentary on this post. On the running front, the sausage analogy is pretty funny.

Bob and Karen have a great time. We will follow your path later this summer. Pls don't shop the entire island out.

hawaiiantraveler May 16th, 2010 07:41 AM

Happy travels you two! Sounds like another stellar trip. I can't wait for the live reports to begin.

Don't fall off the edge in Bali and hope you avoid the Bali belly(no it's not yours Bob).

Andy, <i>Do I get any bonus points if I make him cry?</i> <b>yes</b>

Aloha!