Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Restaurants within walking distance to Royal Orchid sheraton

Oct 6th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have restaurant reccomendations within walking distance of the ROS, we know that Harmonique is near so we're ok for one night but we'll be there for another 2 nights, how far is the Pickled Liver in a taxi?
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Tongue Thai and The Gallery are also nearby. Take a taxi or walk to the skytrain to get to the Pickled Liver. Otherwise there may be issues with traffic. Allow a half hour to 45 minutes.
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM

The Gallery Cafe is just around the corner. Take a right from the lobby, follow the road as it bends to the left and the GC will be on your right before you get to the main road.

For Harmonique, follow the same instructions except go right when you get to the main road (Charon Kreung). Walk past the post office and Harmonique will be down a soi on your right.
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM

I'd take the skytrain to get to the Pickled Liver. You can take a taxi back.

The Thai restaurant in the ROS is excellent. It's only open for dinner.
Oct 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM

If you're interested in a splurge meal -- you know, one that costs 3 day's pay and that you remember for 30 years -- consider Le Normandie on the top floor of the Oriental, a short walk from the ROS. Food is superb (mostly Continental, with plenty of Thai influences), atmosphere is terrific, and my trip there the entire staff was welcoming.
Oct 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM

And speaking of the Oriental, consider the China House. I used to love the place and love their Peking Duck. I'm less enchanted since their remodeling several years ago which is supposed to make it look like an opium den. And the remodeling of the menu was disappointing... lovely dishes make unappealingly complex, elimination of Chinese teas in favor of teas flavors blended in France... now that I'm writing all of this, never mind. I'd forgotten just how much it had changed since the remodeling.
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:34 PM

If you go back To the Oriental hotel, and thru Orient Place the mall connected to the back of the hotel you will also find Toung Thai.
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you I think I've got the last part of the trip covered. Exactly 27 years ago to the day we'll be in Bangkok on the same day we had dinner at the Oriental in the terrace restaurant that overlooks the river, there's a bit of a story about that which I won't go into all the details, (If we ever get to one of the GTG I'll explain the whole shenanigans) but it's enough to say that we decided that night instead of taking a taxi to the Oriental that we would take our first tuk tuk in our lives (Oh to be young and carefree) I was wearing a white silk blouse and white trousers, it was raining, and the tuk tuk driver didn't understand "Oriental hotel" and dropped us off in some godforsaken place that was called "The bristol hotel" (You have to remember it was raining so we just rushed into the entrance of what we thought was the number one hotel in the world that year) After a minute of observing wallpaper falling off the wall and people sleeping on the floor My husband said "Maybe it's next door" Yeah! right!! well we ended up getting on a bus that a couple of students helped us take telling us to get off 8 stops later in an area where we would find taxis, we actually did this and did get a taxi in the end to the Oriental. Now you know that when you arrive at these hotels there's people falling over themselves to open doors right left and centre I immediately took on the role of VIP and swanned up to the reception stating in a voice that definitely isn't usually mine (Im broad scottish) that we had a reservation for dinner and that we were late due to circumstances beyond our control (all in this Lady muck voice)They showed us to a table right beside the river, where we had a fabulous meal, then as you do before we left I paid a visit to the toilet only to discover I had mud splodges not only all over my blouse and trousers but all over my face as well, then when I saw my husbund he was in the same condition, we did'nt realise in the restaurant as it was only candle lit so was quite dark. The exit we made was a bit like the exit from the Bristol; head for the door as quickly as possible and hope that no one notices you, in the Oriental case because of our attire and in the Bristol case to get out before we were robbed.
Anyway, I hadn't really considered a return visit to the Oriental but after Kathie and rizzuto brought back these memories I think maybe it would be nice to have dinner there again.
Thanks again
Oct 7th, 2010, 01:11 AM

I recently went to the Oriental just to have a cocktail in the famous Bamboo Bar. It was kind of fun to be there even though it did smell of mildew and the watery Robroy I ordered cost $30 US!
Oct 7th, 2010, 04:49 AM

NP - I quite like the bamboo bar, but totally agree with your assesment!!!
Oct 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Hmm. I've enjoyed excellent cocktails and nibbles, and a good atmosphere, in the Bamboo Bar at about $10 each.
Oct 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM

>>>Im broad scottish<<<

(Vaguely reminds me of an all-powerful and all-time cherished Scottish aunt - mind your manners)

Now, warm greetings, clark, and many thanks for your wonderful reflections - right up there with certain SQTalk.com posts, and most sincere 'bout that. Not too much to add to the other fine thoughts, other than, well, as of not too many days back, no musty odours in that beloved Bamboo bar and no exact memories of even $20+ US cocktail charges. (Then, was being 'comped', have always been rather easy to please - and Khun 'Tessie' was present.)

Just two additions : should you feel like 'slumming', and can 'walk on water', kindly consider drinks/dinner at the Peninsula. Shameless plug for some good friends/employees and not such a bad place for fine sunset views 'looking back'.
(And, floor 25 at the ROS for no walking at all and most acceptable 'room service' - trust me on this oldie, and, well, you've already booked a double.)

Savour your nostalgic times, riverside,

macintosh (robert)

watching the river flow/

(b. dylan)
Oct 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM

its fun also to cross the river and eat at the hilton---boat from over at river city plaza

same thing for the peninsula....their boat comes to river city once per hour
Oct 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM

gallery cafe is quite good but we love harmonique best....walk to the right out of ROS back door--street side...go to end of street and turn left....gallery cafe is along that soi.....continue on to new road and turn right....harmonique is a ways down there, on a soi to the right just after you pass the main post office which you can't miss....the soi is marked with an elaborate arch over the soi....the restaurant is 100 yards down on the right ....