Restaurants Near the Bangkok River Marriott

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob has tricked us into staying at the Marriott for our first four days in BKK. Are there any restaurants (not in the attached mall) near that might be of interest.? Any in thonburi? Thanks. It's not an accident that this thread is started when his Bobness is away.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM

Gee, I thought the reason to stay there was to be able to eat at the McDonald's located in the mini-mall next door...
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Bob can eat there. We don't eat at McD's in the US. Why we would we travel around the world to eat ther?
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM

I am amazed that you even bothered to post this - maybe perhaps out of boredom now that YOUR baseball season is over? All of the usual suspects are within easy reach via the Marriott shuttle in combo with taxis or the O shuttle or even the Penn shuttle - Gallery, Harmonique, Tongue Thai plus all of those accessible via the skytrain in Sukhumvit area. Last year we took the shuttle from the Penn to the skytrain to Kinnaree, Soi 8 and were back in time for a shower and the taxi to our evening flight. All it takes is a little planning, which admirably you are doing. Bangkok is pretty simple to get around, especially after you have been there as many times as you have...

Don't fret though, there's an Italian restaurant within the Marriott itself...
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Craig-we love walking from the ROS to restaurants. It's much more relaxing than schlepping by boat, skytrain and taxi. I'm hoping for at least one decent restaurant we can walk to or at least take an easy taxi withour crossing the river. The guide books are no help. There must be a neighborhood eatery that will fit the bill.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM

Maybe you could have Bob ask the manager if there is a neighborhood eatery...
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM

I remember when we stayed there that there was nothing of real interest in the nearby neighbor hood. The concierge even suggested other eateries via taxi or the shuttle,lol
There is a small mall connected to the back end of the Marriot with an ATM that worked for us and a pizza place, a Swensons ice cream or the sort and maybe a Chinese/Thai food eatery near Bob's tailors but that was it. Don't eat the turtles at his tailor shop

Aloha!
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I will go on explorations. I was hoping for a suggestion to check out. The M has a long driveway, so anything will be a hike. However, there's often a symbiotic relationship between hotels and the surrounding environs. I've never read anything about anything near the M. There must be something.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

See! This is exactly as I feared. Many have stayed at the Marriott. No one has provided a single nearby or convenient restaurant. Are we doomed to endless travel with his Bobness to obtain sustenance? Help!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM

Swensons? Mickey D's? And wasn't there another thread about 'authentic' food in Thailand?

I ask you, does it get any more authentic than this?

Panda, maybe you'll hit the jackpot and there will be an Olive Garden around the corner.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM

I am following this thread with interest but no insight beyond the fact that we are part of the problem, or syndrome.

We have stayed at this property twice, once because Bob recommended it (and it was indeed perfect for our family), and a second time because my husband's enjoyment of it rises almost to Bob's level. Our several cab rides to and from the property didn't inspire much interest in the surrounding area though. There are at least two reasons for that. First, the attached mall is very convenient for purchases and services but not exactly an attractive scenic draw. Second, all vehicles are stopped and inspected/swept under the carriage as they arrive on the road-side so that's a grim reminder of concerns that are not so visible as you come and go via the waterfront.

By contrast, departure and arrival formalities on the lushly planted riverside of the property are leisurely and make for a delightful routine. The boat service is frequent and reliable, the staff very friendly. We never seemed to tire of the boat shuttle to Thaksin Pier. Some people find the property too distant but I love the structured-in leisure of those boat rides.

We usually went away from the property for dinner, treating the boatride as a sort of pre-appetizer relaxation time. There were some evenings when we just stayed on the property, particularly at the longtail bar and riverside terrace. There was one evening when we floated away on the Manohra converted rice barge for the dinner cruise. On our second stay, we had club room amenities and skipped a dinner or two after feasting there. All pretty unimaginative but it was quite pleasant for that amount of time. I would definitely seek out new dining options on a return visit though.

Good luck in your search. I look forward to reading of any discoveries that you make in the area. Meanwhile, you have your insurance -- the hotel prepared in advance for your arrival by replacing the on-site chinese restaurant with an Italian restaurant, Bricco.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

MaryA-your pleasant boat rides did not have Gilligan/Bob along for the ride. If there's a walkable alternative, we can hope he gets tired from our brutal pace. I'm just thinking ahead. There have been so many Fodorites that have stayed at the M that someone must have located some place nearby. Everywhere else in BKK there are three restaurants on every block. Is this some sort of de-menuized zone?