Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions Chiang Mai / Phuket

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a restaurant or two in Chiang Mai and/or Phuket. I have read about a lot of restaurants in Bangkok, but Chiang Mai and Phuket dining information is a little harder to come by.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM

I can't offer any information about Chiang Mai as my first trip there will be this Christmas - however, I can confidently say that the best, most beautiful place to eat in Phuket is Baan Rim Pa - it is traditional Thai food - book early so that you can sip your wine and watch the sun set.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:35 PM

There are a lot of good restaurants in Chiang Mai, so it's hard to pick out just one. On the river, the Good View gets good reviews from Thais and tourists alike. I really like Hawn Taeo on Nivahimen road the one time I tried it.

There are a lot of little holes-in-the-wall along Tapae road. I haven't had a bad meal in any, but none particularly memorable either. Antique House, on the river near the Night Bazaar, is also good.

For non-Thai fare, I loved the Upper Crust for both their Mexican food and fantastic desserts, although I haven't tried them since they moved out by the train station. The Gate, near Tapae gate, also serves passable Mexican.

If I'm in the mood for Italian I head to Piccola Roma, near the new Chedi Hotel. The food is always good, and the tempermental Italian owner/chef always seems to put on a 'show'.

Of course, I'm just as likely to 'graze' the food stalls around the Chiang Mai gate at night. Start with a bowl or two of Khanom Jin at 7 Baht each, then on to some rice, fried chicken or Chiang Mai Sausage, then finish up with a couple of fritters with sweet milk dip for dessert.

For lunch, you can't go wrong with a bowl of Khao Soi from the stall near the Mosque not far from the Night Bazaar.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies...I can't wait to eat my way through Thailand!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Mon Tri's Boathouse in Phuket is superb. Be sure to make reservations. It's well worth going there no matter what part of Phuket you're staying in.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:37 AM

MichaelBKK..you just like those little holes on the walls
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:05 AM

I second Mom Tri's Boathouse Grill. I also would suggest Mom Tri's Kitchen. Both are superb!
Carol
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:18 AM
CFW

What is the difference between Mom Tri's Boathouse Grill and Mom Tri's Kitchen? Are they two different restaurants at the same location? Different food or atmosphere?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Two restaurant's with same owner. Boathouse is at Kata Village and Kitchen is further on at Kata Noi.

I haven't been to Mom Tri's Boathouse, but did go to Mom Tri's Kitchen. It was fabulous. Beautiful patio area on cliff overlooking Kata Noi Bay. Food, ambience, views, service. Fabulous. Fabulous. Fabulous.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Good View in Chiang Mai - excellent!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Phuket Restaurants:
I had dinner at Mom Tri's Boathouse last week. Very nice atmosphere and view. Service was good as was the food. Very extensive wine list if that's your thing, however, the wine list is pricy though there are a few choices in the $30 range. We had our hotel book us a table and we were given a nice waterview. Expect to spend at least 2600 Bhat per for two for soup, entree, moderate bottle of wine.

Baan Rim Pa as mentioned above also a beautiful view and top end Phuket restaurant. If you're on the southern part of the island, Kang Eang on the seawall on Chalong Bay. In the central part of the Island Red Room in Talang. or Watermark on Boat Lagoon (nice).
Patong has lots of small open air restaurants (not street food though) just walk by and pick one that appeals to you. Good food very inexpensive. Maybe 400 Baht per couple.

Taxi to wherever you want to go is inexpensive so that may open up your options.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:21 AM
CFW

Mary Ann, How do you compare Mom Tri's with Baan Rim Pa? If you had to choose between the two, which would you recommend?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Draw straws! LOL