Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recs for non-seafood eaters in Kyoto?

Notices

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't usually ask for restaurant recommendations because we aren't foodies and usually just menu shop when we are hungry. However, we are going to Japan for the first time next month and neither of us are seafood eaters. We will be in Kyoto for 4 days/nights and I'm hoping for some good non-seafood (or at least not only seafood on the menus) restaurant recommendations.

Thanks much!!
Tracy
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM

You will have no problem finding restaurants. There are few, in fact, that serve exclusively seafood. You will see that many restaurants have plastic food replicas on display or picture menus. There are also many Italian and Indian restaurants, as well as other international cuisines. Check out the top floors of shopping centers, shopping streets, basements of shopping centers, Kyoto station...you'll be spoiled for choice.

But, important...do you have a fish allergy or are you opposed to consuming fish? If so, you will need to be very careful because fish is an ingredient in innocent sounding and looking foods like udon (noodles) in the broth. The broth (dashi) is used in Japanese cooking as a staple. If that isn't a problem, then don't worry at all, and eat what looks and sounds good to you.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

Some non-seafood places that we ate ate or were recommended:

Il Pappalardo – Good Italian restaurant, recommended by our concierge. Close to the Hyatt Regency.
http://www.vcarious.com/Listing/Japa...appalardo.html

Kerela - Indian restaurant
Opposite Royal Hotel, on Kawaramachi St, north of Sanjo St.
Ledic Building 2F (upstairs)
Kawaramachi-Sanjo agaru, Nishi gawa
http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.ph...taurant-kerala

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for reassuring us, and thank you Manisha for the links! KimJapan, we don't have allergies fortunately, just an extreme dislike for seafood. But I love Indian and Italian so that's good! I'm curious though; is the food usually pretty similar to what is found on the pictures or the plastic food replicas?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM

The food you are served looks like the plastic replicas...the replicas are very well done.

With no allergy, you can really eat just about anywhere without worry....maybe skip the sushi bar though.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
emd

No problem. I took my daughter (who eats no seafood or meat) to Kyoto. We ate very well. I ate lots of beef dishes and she ate lots of great tofu and veggie dishes. In particular, I recall just walking into a restaurant in Gion (w/mrwunrfl on this board, who met us in Kyoto) and there were all sorts of meat and veggie and tofu options (great hot pots, cook the meat and tofu in broth, like shabu shabu). Wow, that was a good meal, I still can smell it.

You will have good food and won't have to hunt for it, don't worry.