Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Resistance is futile - we've been "Tong-ed"!

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Just finished two very fun days with Tong in and outside of Bangkok - Day 1 we went to the Floating Market in the morning....our interest is food, not souvenirs....so we ate our way from one end to the other. Eating hot soup in a tippy boat is a new skill we acquired.

Then onto the Tiger Temple (Tong set a new land speed record getting us there in time to hold the baby tigers but we were successful) and then the extraordinary experience of walking with tigers and sitting with them.....haven't wiped the smile off my face yet!

Then yesterday we started at the City Pillar Shrine, then the Grand Palace and then out to the "secret" Fishing Village and a late lunch. Another wonderful day. The Fishing Village is truly a visit to another time.

Tong is delightful, funny, charming and a great guide - everything you read here is true!

Thanks Tong!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:52 AM

We recently had a day with Tong at the Tiger Temple and Floating Markets. If it wasn't for Tong we would not have enjoyed our day that much at all. Our youngest daughter was less than enthusiastic and stressed by the heat - Tong went out of her way to make her day very special. She is so enthusiastic and an absolute delight. Do yourself a favour and take a tour with Tong - she is worth every cent.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:57 AM

I should also mention that we booked Sgt Kai because of reviews on this site. I booked 6 months in advance and he promised he would take us. I confirmed 1 week before we left and he said he would be taking us. He didn't turn up and sent another guide. He sent a letter with a lame excuse - I wouldn't have minded if he had been honest 1 week before when I confirmed. We spoke to staff at the hotel who said Sgt Kai has a habit of doing this to his clients - he is getting a reputation for standing people up.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:12 AM

ES-glad to see that you enjoyed your time with Tong. She enhances any activity with her charm and warmth. I'm sure Reed and his wife were super at the secret place.

V-used Sergeant Kai's services twice and never met him at all. However, both guides he sent were top notch and thoroughly enjoyable. My thought is that if you get a good guide, you're fortunate. The substitution gig is common. Hope you enjoyed your time anyway.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM

ES-I do appreciate the Vogon guard reference.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Elizabeth_S - did it appear to you that the tigers are well-cared for? One of my guide books said there was a question as to whether they are being drugged to keep them calm as a tourist attraction?

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Elizabeth-
I've been enjoying your blog. The pictures with the baby tigers have convinced me that I have to go to the Tiger temple.
However, I'd heard the same things that Cyn has; that they adult tiger might be drugged. Any comments on that? How did you feel about the tigers being used as tourist attraction.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM

how can they not be drugged!!!!! would you go to your local zoo and go into the cage???

tong is a delight, glad you enjoyed the day...

looking forward to a full trip report upon your return home

bob
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM

It certainly didn't seem like those tigers were drugged when I was there....they are pretty tame though, having grown up with the monks.

Elizabeth I'm glad you had a good time...was wondering if you made it to the orphange?

Lori
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Sorry ... there are so many posts about Tong that I cannot find the info I need.

Which is:
- how much does she charge? is it ~$75 per person? I just want an approximate amount

- is there a minimum number of people before she would guide you?

Thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM

The tigers seemed tame, but did not appear drugged.

In fact they acted like my cats at home who spend most of their time lounging and looking sleepy, but the minute anything unusual happens they are wide awake.

There was some filming going on while I was visiting and I'm not sure what happened, but one of the tigers was quick to voice his displeasure.

Of course primeval instinct kicked in and everyone in the vicinity shrieked and scrambled away, just like prey!

That incident made me realize how big a risk I was taking by being there. And the reason for the waiver I had signed also became much clearer.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Tong charged us 3000 Baht for 4 of us, plus a small gas fee. However, I think this is her charge for the entire day whether there are 2 or 4. For more, she needs a van and I think there is an additional charge. Now, if you want some of the extras, they will cost more. For instance, a visit to the &quot;secret place&quot; requires a payment to Reed and his wife for the hours on the boat and the lunch that is included. Obviously, if you are going to an orphanage to make a donation, this will cost whatever your donation costs. They need diapers and food.

Make sure that if you arrange a day with Tong that you get her cell phone number and call her to coordinate when you arrive in BKK.

I assure you that she is a bargain. The time with her is unbelievable.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:14 AM

We've got a day trip lined up with one of Tong's guides. Unfortunately, she was booked for the day we requested. Glad you enjoyed the Tiger Temple, we are so looking forward to that part of our trip.

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM

We saw Bangkok with one of Tong's guides named Nui and she was very good.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM

How do you contact Tong or other recommended guides? I am going in March.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I also would like Ton's E-mail address. We will be in |BKK in October. If it has been posted I didn't write it down-could someone please re-enter. Thanks so much Chris
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I'm pretty sure it's tourwithtong at yahoo.com.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Yes, its tourwithtong at yahoo dot com
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM

We, too, were &quot;tong-ed&quot; in December. She is exceptional and well worth the Bahts we paid her.

No, I do not think the tigers are drugged at the Temple. We were told they had just been fed, which calmed them down.

mcb
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:47 PM

For those of you that went with Nui for the day, did you know that Nui is actually a HE not a SHE?? SSHHHHHHH

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO