Search

Request for advise: travel to HK in 2nd week of January

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request for advise: travel to HK in 2nd week of January

I would appreciate your input on the following:
I have to make a business trip to HK that will be from 15 January to 30 January. My hotel expenses are paid and chances are IŽll be staying at the Peninsula.
I am thinking of taking my wife with me but I am concerned about the weather and if that will be a limiting factor for her, regarding moving around on her own during the day, when IŽll be working.
The bottom line is that IŽd like to know if the prize is worth the price. I would be making a significant monetary effort to cover her part of the expenses.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:56 PM

Absolutly go, January is THE best time of year weather-wise, temps in the mid-70s and little or nor rain. On rare occasions, it can even get cool during the day (I am talking about the low 50s max, which is considered a "cold wave&quot, and people lug out their fur coats, which is hysterical, IMO.

Hong Kong is extremely easy to navigate on your own, English is widely spoken and signgage is in English. Public transport is plentiful and cheap, and taxis are also inexpensive.

2 weeks at the Penn in January paid for by my company is a no brainer. There is a TON to see and do, and with that much time you could also go to Macau for a night or two. This is a great time of year for walks and more serious hikes, there are numerous trails on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon side. If your wife is a seroius shopper for Fendi knock offs, etc, she might consider a day trip to Ghangzhou. Otherwise there is plenty of shopping in Hong Kong itself, in addition to musuems and general sight seeing. If you and/or she are into Chinese antiques and Asian rugs, this is also a great place to look and as a good part of your trip has been paid for, you will have justified the shipping costs. Run a search here for ideas on Hong Kong.

She could also consider a trip to Beijing, which will be cold but not crowded, makes a good 3 day weekend spot where you can see the highlights. Another option would be Bangkok which wuld be hot and again a 3 day weekend trip there would be a good introduction. She could probably do Bangkok more easily on her own, but really either are doable by oneself.

I believe Chinse New Year is in Feb this yar, but check the dates, if it is in late Jan this is also a fun time to be in Hong Kong.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Cicerone : I believe Chinese New Year is Feb.9/10/11 this year. We arrive HK Feb 10.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I lived in Hong Kong as an expat for three years. The weather is almost identical to that in Florida, i.e. the only warm place to stay in the USA in winter. A light sweater is all that is needed. Locals will be wearing dark colours, mostly black at this time of year. Having travelled in most parts of Asia, I travelled in complete confidence on my own and rate HK as one of the safest cities in the world. Travel on the MTR (subway/underground) by bus and taxi is very cheap and easy, although taxi drivers are frequently not keen to go to Hong Kong Island from Kowloon side , where the Peninsular is located so the MTR is a better bet. Language is no problem especially if your wife has a ready smile. If I could I would retire to HK. Have no second thoughts on this one. Your wife will love this destination.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM

even if the weather were not the best, take her she deserves it....you will both love HK...it is fantastic, completely safe in every way and is not outrageously expensive if you search things out...
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your kind replies.
Last night my wife opened my present for her and in it was her flight itinerary for Hong Kong!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM

now start saving for the other part of her christmas present that you forgot to mention....something made from 18K gold from thailand and some saphires as well....
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

That last reply shows unmistakeble evidence that rhkkmk is a woman!