Report on Davis and Metropolitan Hotels in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a trip to Laos and will be writing about that later. I spent a couple of nights in Bangkok on the way to Laos, so thought I'd share my latest Bangkok hotel reports.

DAVIS

I like this hotel for late night arrivals. It's a good deal and fast to get to from the airport. I usually get into Bangkok on that very late NW or UA flight from Tokyo that arrives after midnight. It only takes 15 minutes to get to the Davis. I've learned a long time ago never to stay around the airport. It's much nicer to stay in town, even for a short stay. The Davis has become my usual late night arrival hotel.

I got a price of $75 on asiarooms for a design room. These are the nicest rooms, with different themes like Thai, Indonesian, or Chinese. I always like the breakfast buffet in the morning, in an airy and bright cafe. The Davis is perfect for short stays when you want to be comfortable but are not staying long enough to want a very fancy place. This was my second stay and I liked it.

The Davis is a friendly hotel with a hip and lively buzz to it, a cheaper version of the much more elegant and hip Metropolitan.

METROPOLITAN

On the way back from Laos, I stayed here one night. We had almost a full day at the hotel and we enjoyed it a lot. I got an incredible deal on a Met Room, their nicest room and said to be one of the largest in Bangkok. The usual rate is $200 through the hotel (internet rate) and slightly less through discounters. I found an amazing offer of $125 for the Met Room on asiahotels. It said this didn't include breakfast, but that was okay, since we had a 6 am plane to catch the next morning.

The staff in their black Yohji Yamamoto uniforms were all very good looking and incredibly polite and friendly. The room was fantastic, very large, and felt more like a stylish apartment than a hotel room. It was in a large square shape, not the usual rectangle. The bathroom was huge and felt more like a spa than a usual bathroom. The bathtub has window next to it, so you can look out over Bangkok while you soak in the bath. The window gives the bathroom a lot of nice natural light, something not found in a lot of other hotel bathrooms. There was a DVD player and Bose stereo in the room. There is a CD and DVD library downstairs and you can borrow anything you want for free. Hollywood films, but also a lot of foreign and art films with English subtitles. This was a treat. They had "The Cup" which I had wanted to see for a long time, but unfortunately ran out of time to see it.

When we arrived, they brought a pot of herbal tea to the room for us and welcomed us again. There was plenty of nice fruit as well. Didn't have a chance to try the restaurants, but Cy'an is very good I've heard. Instead we went out for Thai food nearby.

I really wanted to try the famous Shambala Spa, but it was totally booked up. I should have known better and booked ahead, especially since it was the weekend. I advise anyone to book way ahead. We ended up going to a local spa nearby and that was good. The reason I wanted to try the Shambala Spa and the Metropolitan is that I stayed at the Uma Ubud in Bali in the spring (owned by the same Como Hotel group) and loved it. So, now I can say I love both hotels, Uma and the Met.

Even though breakfast wasn't included in the price, they offered us breakfast anyway. When we said we'd have that horrible 6 am departure, they offered to pack us a breakfast box with anything we wanted from the breakfast menu. So, they made us wonderful breakfasts with amazing pastries, hard boiled eggs, bacon, fruit, juice, and water. It was all packed up and ready to go at 4 am.

I'd never even had the idea to request a breakfast box before. I got that great idea from the people on this forum. It sure beats an airplane breakfast.

I'd say if you can find a special rate for the Met, it would be great to stay there, especially if you are into design hotels. Be sure to get a Met room. It's very stylish and hip and sometimes feels more like a club or art gallery than a hotel. I can't say much about the location, since I didn't get out and explore very much, but the hotel itself is wonderful.

Trip report on Laos coming soon...
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM

thanks for this on the davis...and on the met....

i find many of the hotels will provide early morning room service gratis if you leave before 6AM if breakfast was included in you contract...pann and marriott
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I totally agree with your comments on the Met. I stayed there in Aug 2004...loved it. I'm glad you tried out UMA on BAli. It was during the August 2004 stay, at the Met, that I met the marketing director who showed me around the Met and had a staff member send up a complete portfolio on the then brand new UMA hotel on Bali. I was told I could get a substantial discount if I wanted to try it out. I didn't have time to fly down to Bali though. When I was at the Met, I had a very early morning flight home and there was a couple checking out at the same time I checked out. They were taking the hotel car to the airport and I noticed their breakfast boxes being delivered to the car. I took a regular taxi to the airport and really didn't think about breakfast since I can't eat anything that early in the morning anyway. One question about UMA on BAli. From the photos I've seen, the rooms seem pretty "open" designed. So was there a problem with mosquitoes, roaches, and geckos running around in your room? I don't mind the mosquitoes and roaches so much, but I absolutely detest geckos. That was my BIG concern about UMA. When I was on Bali some years ago, I had a major problem with not only geckos, but huge,slimy lizards running around in my room and across my bed. Yuck! It was a hotel that made me feel as if I was on a camping trip...and I don't do camping. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Guenmai, I didn't see any insects, geckos, or other little creatures in our room at Uma. Not at all. The room isn't really open to the outside like you may have seen on the website. The problem is their website doesn't really have good clear pictures of the rooms, at least not the last time I looked.

I liked the terrace room, where I stayed, the best. It has a very nice view and a nice balcony that you can open up to the room if you want. You can also close it completely to keep creatures out. The garden room comes with a small courtyard garden, kind of Indian style, and a large black bathroom. You have a courtyard garden, but no terrace. I much prefer the terrace room because I need to look out at a view and I didn't like the black dark bathroom. The terrace room is all light and bright, which I like.

Since you liked and appreciated the Met, I'm sure you would enjoy Uma too. I noticed the same attention to design details, unique style, and excellent service at both places. They both have a hip but friendly vibe.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Can anyone comment on the location of teh Metropolitan? The rooms sound wonderful!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM

kathie--it is almost next door to the former westin, now just called banyon tree....south sathorn rd....not the best location, imo...issolated ....very near to sukothai (sp) as well...all in the same block roughly
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Bob, I was afraid that's where it was. Not a good location for me.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the Met is on South Sathorn Road, right next door to the Banyan Tree. I loved the hotel, but didn't really love the location. Lots of high rises and traffic. All things considered, I probably like staying by the river the best, but I like to try out new hotels on every visit to Bangkok. There are so many great places to stay.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Kathie- It's next door to the Sukothai. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 11:49 PM

lumpin MRT station is near by so the location is not too bad. and it's about 2-3 midium blocks from lower silom (PAT PONG).

yes it's located in the "cold fininacial district".. but is actually within walking distace to Livelier parts of town. ...It's also quicker too get too SUkunvit from Lumpini station than going from the river..

good report the place seems wicked cool..
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks for that great report on the Met..I always stay by the river but I am really tempted by the Met. Some reviewers have painted it as a bit too stark, but it sure is sounding warm and welcoming in your review
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I didn't find it "stark" at all, but instead a breath of very fresh air! Happy Travels!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM

thanks Guenmai...my only fear is that I will check in, like it, but wail "I want the river!"
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM

turn on the tub water and let it run and open a window for the street noise and you will think it is long tail boats along the river
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Jim- You probably won't even miss the river. On second thought that's easy for me to say since I don't like being on the river...but anyhow, the hotel is so relaxing that you'll probably feel like you're in one of those Calgon-take-me away commercials. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Guenmai, last Met question, I promise: how's the pool? I like a morning swim, and a late afternoon swim, but can't find any decent photos of the pool anyplace....
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:13 PM

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, but I'm in Singapore at the time. As for the pool, it's nothing to write home about , but it's adequate. From what I remember of it, it was a standard, rectangular shaped pool. Still give the hotel a try. Happy Travels!