Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Renovated Wat Traimit (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/renovated-wat-traimit-829598/)

Hanuman Mar 6th, 2010 06:52 AM

Renovated Wat Traimit

I have just visited the new multi level building at Wat Traimit which house the "Golden Buddha" and would like to recommend any traveler to Bangkok to stop by if they are going to visit Yaowarat or the Bangkok China town area.

The first level of the new structure house the "Yaowarat Chinese Heritage" museum which depict through models and multimedia presentation the history of the Chinese immigrant to Thailand. All very well done in very nice A/C surroundings.

The second level house the presentation area with a mini amphitheatre showing how the Buddha statue are cast and the history of how the Golden Buddha was discovered or revealed from what people thought was an ordinary plaster Buddha. Again all in a nice A/C surrounding.

The top level house the actual Golden Buddha in a spectacular room high above the surrounding area. There are elevators for those who might have difficulties climbing the stairs.

At dusk or night the Wat is brilliantly lit up but the museum will be close. Try to visit at around 4.00 PM and then explore the markets around Yaowarat until dinner time where there are many dining option from road side street food to excellent restaurants all over the place.

Kathie Mar 6th, 2010 07:43 AM

Thanks for this info, Hanuman. It sounds like we'll have to put that on our list for this coming trip.

Hanuman Mar 6th, 2010 08:29 AM

Kathie,

I thought the Yaowarat Chinese Heritage museum was very well done. One of the display there is the contribution from the first generation Chinese immigrant on Thai businesses like founding The Bangkok Bank, Mah Boon Krong(MBK mall), Thai Farmer's bank, Thai Metropolitan Bank, etc....

Hope you do visit it on your next trip.

Kathie Mar 6th, 2010 08:51 AM

Wat Traimit has always been one of my favorites, so I'm eager to see what they have done.

The museum sounds great. I didn't know that Chinese immigrants established all of those banks!

I decided it was time to start my list of things to do in Bangkok this year, so this is on the top of the list.

Gpanda Mar 6th, 2010 09:19 AM

I note for the record that Wat Tramit is just around the corner from the ROS, where discriminating visitors always stay. Concidence? I think not!

Hanuman Mar 6th, 2010 09:38 AM

Kathie,

Those are just the examples of businesses started by FIRST generation Chinese immigrants. Most businesses in Thailand are own or was started by second or third generation Chinese immigrants.

rhkkmk Mar 6th, 2010 11:06 AM

now tell us what later generations of chinese thais have done?? most of them are lazy... and they still eat chinese food

Craig Mar 6th, 2010 11:21 AM

We went to Wat Traimit on our first visit to Thailand and it was a non-event. Glad to hear that now it is a worthwhile destination that we can pursue on our next visit.

Hanuman Mar 6th, 2010 12:31 PM

Bob,

Us 3rd or 4th generation people go to spa and eat Italian.

Kathie Mar 6th, 2010 02:25 PM

lol

kuranosuke Mar 6th, 2010 03:43 PM

hanuman, thanks for the info about traimit, but... going to spas and eating italian, bad, hanuman, bad. lol

rhkkmk Mar 6th, 2010 04:24 PM

he needs to be repatriated... start with some digging in the fields and i don't mean the orchid gardens....

Hanuman Mar 6th, 2010 05:34 PM

I do dig in the fields - digging divots on the golf courses!

Smeagol Mar 6th, 2010 10:53 PM

Thanks for the info Pook. Hopefully I will be back in BKK in November (with Muffin)so will add it to my list.....

Hanuman Mar 6th, 2010 11:47 PM

Oh oh Smeagol and Muffin in Bangkok during November. I heard that Bob, Karen, Andy, Beth, Kathie and Cheryl will be here as well. Could be fun....!

Smeagol Mar 7th, 2010 01:15 AM

Indeed it could. I'm just biding my time for a good deal on Biz class seats. Plan is Cambodia.

Gpanda Mar 7th, 2010 02:44 AM

A spa dwelling, Italian food eating golfer. Yep! A typical Fodorte.

barefootbeach Mar 11th, 2010 07:11 AM

Thanks Hanuman...this wasn't on my list but it is now!

barefootbeach Mar 11th, 2010 07:14 AM

Hanuman....can you recommend a restaurant in the area? My first time to BKK and I'm a little leery of street food.

kmkrnn Mar 11th, 2010 10:45 AM

It has been placed on our list for sure. Thanks for the update.