Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Relocating & need to choose: Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Liz

My company has open positions in our Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur offices. I have been given the choice of either position. However, I have never been to either place and have no idea of where to start! I know this is a rather "broad" question, but I am wondering if anyone can give me a quick thumbnail sketch of some of the pros and cons for each place -- this might help me to begin sorting out the issues I need to consider. Just to give you some background: it would be just my husband and me - we don't have children; we're both pretty adventurous; while we love big cities, we also need easy access to wide-open spaces; I'd be committing to a minimum of two years in either place; currently I live in New England. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:34 PM
yuen-pitre

KL is hot and humid - if you like this year round. <BR>Hk will experience differ seasons. <BR>Both are densely populated and polluted. great food in both areas but more variety in KL. differ cultures in KL (indian, muslim, chinese, some indonesians). there are strict laws within Malaysia with no leniency!!! In terms of location I think KL is a better location in south east asia as you can visit bali, lombok (although stay away from it for now), philipines, thailand, burma, Singapore and even australia! HK is close to Japan and china of course but you will not get to experience different flavours of religion, culture, food, etc...in HK as you will in Kl. fashion wise - HK is ahead of KL and is very expensive to live in...KL is cheaper. Nice and humble people in KL but HK (I think they need to learn manners!) - I can say this as I am from KL and am chinese and have experienced the HK attitude! Good luck in choosing one of them and have a fabulous time...if I were you I would pick KL - closer to other destinations in southeast asia - you want to experience ASIA go to KL! <BR> <BR>cheers

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:27 PM
Jason

I don't know a lot about KL, but I can give you some input on HK. As the previous reply says, KL will be hot and humid for the whole year, and HK will have 4 seasons. I personally think HK is exciting, big city life like NY or Tokyo, and there is an interesting mix between Western and Chinese cultures. They celebrate Western traditions like Christmas and Easter as well as Chinese traditions like Chinese New Year. In terms of open-space, about 70% of HK's land are country parks, so you have easy access for hiking and stuff... Both KL and HK will have easy access to different parts of Asia. HK is also really famous in shopping and dining (Great foods from around the world!!) . Things that you may not like about HK is that it is pretty crowded, and in terms of the attitude of people, as previous reply says, some people may not be very nice, but there's also nice people (Well, all places have nice and rude people, I guess in a big city, that's how people react). After all, I think it is a good choice to stay in HK. I don't know what other information you are looking for, but that's my insight about HK, I guess you should do more research on both places and make your decision.

Old May 27th, 2001, 02:43 AM
pat

Liz <BR>Both cities are so different, although they are indeed like most international cities around the globe. HK seems to be bigger in financial and business work, but KL is trying to be outstand itself as a regional hub as well. KL appears to be diverse in the terms of culture, because her people does have many races, and should suit you more if you enjoy adventurous things. However, the weather is indeed the important factor, if you could stand the temperature of about 30C or more in winter! you can stay in KL, otherwise choose cooler HK. It may be a great different experience, if you choose KL, because it totally differs from your New england. <BR>Welcome to Asia.

Old May 28th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Win

Hi Liz, <BR> <BR>I hv stayed in both HK and KL. HK is much more polluted and crowded than KL. Manners is something most of them have to learn and they are very competitive people. Everything is thought in terms of $$$$ but I think the system is much better than those in KL. For eg. their transportation network is far more superior and most public utilities/signages are efficient/clear. However, the setback I guess is cost. It cost much much more to live in HK. Eg. USD 2000in rental will get you a big house (probably 8000 sq.ft.) in an exclusive suburb complete with a golf course right at yr doorstep. That amount of money will only rent you an 800-1000 sq ft apartment in HK. I'm used to living in spacious houses where we(my husband and I) can park both our cars in the porch. Having the services of a maid is a luxury in HK but we can have the services of 1 for around USD 200 per month. In KL you can drive yourself around and in the weekends you can drive to other cities/towns for holidays. A 2 hr or maybe less journey will take you to the nearest beach~Port Dickson. Eating out is comparatively cheap and good but less in terms of choices compared to HK. I think the biggest plus point about KL is that most people speaks English there. They are also nice, helpful and friendly. HK people has got a certain egoistic attitude that I find hard to tolerate. English is not widely spoken too . My top 2 priorities in choosing a place to live in is the quality of housing, attitude of the people whom you will be working and living with. What's yours? <BR> <BR>