Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Recs for Tokyo hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/recs-for-tokyo-hotels-1011519/)

jacketwatch Apr 15th, 2014 07:28 AM

Recs for Tokyo hotels

Hi guys. We have 4 nights in Tokyo pre cruise in Sept. and are looking 4 hotels in an area close to shopping, restaurants, etcetera. Shuttle from Narita would be very nice. I have looked at the Hilton and Hyatt which look pretty good . Your thoughts are welcomed.

DonTopaz Apr 15th, 2014 08:08 AM

Grand Hyatt would be ideal for you. Very comfortable rooms, in a bustling but not insanely busy part of town, and next to a complex with lots of upscale shopping and restaurants. If you're 62+, you can get great rates.

Hilton, Hyatt Regency, & Park Hyatt are all in a part of the city with tall office buildings and not much character. It's not at all awful, but many other parts of town are better-suited for tourists. Though Park Hyatt is a great place to stay and just hang out in the hotel/spa/health club/bar.

Four Seasons Marunouchi is very close to department stores and has easy access to Narita airport via train. Drawback for some is that it's next to Tokyo station, which is a very busy/crowded area.

rhkkmk Apr 15th, 2014 12:13 PM

for less expensive and well located (small rooms), look at citidines

VolCrew Apr 15th, 2014 06:04 PM

I stayed at the Strings in Shinagawa this month. I was not familiar with Intercontinental, but it was very nice.

You can ride the JR NEX from Narita airport. The hotel is immediately adjacent to Shinagawa Station.

jacketwatch Apr 15th, 2014 08:00 PM

Thanks for the all the tips.
Larry. :-)

Kavey Apr 15th, 2014 11:08 PM

For our first trip, we stayed our first two nights in the Century Southern Tower at Shinjuku. Close to shopping, plenty of eating options in the area.

Later that same trip we stayed in Asakusa, which I enjoyed but don't think it matches your criteria as well.

This time, we spent just one night on arrival in Marunouchi, which may suit you very well. Firstly, Tokyo Station is located there, making it easy to get to from airport and easy to head out of Tokyo by train to your next destination (if there is one). There are a huge number of shopping options in the vicinity and an equally large number of eating choices. And you can easily hop on the local metro to explore the rest of the city.

I didn't like The Tokyo Station Hotel - the rooms are very small, overly stuffed with furniture (which makes them feel even smaller) and it's a "keeping up appearances" kind of place more than a "great customer service" kind of place. I would not stay there again regardless of the rate I found.

tower Apr 16th, 2014 06:24 AM

we enjoyed the Park Hotel (which starts at the upper floors of the Shiodome complex)...Rooms are fair size, gigantic lobby, great views of the city...very friendly and helpful staff, good rates in vicinity of $150 if I properly recall. Can walk to Asakusa ferry, across the Hamarikyu Park.

tower Apr 16th, 2014 06:32 AM

http://en.parkhoteltokyo.com/

mjs Apr 18th, 2014 06:15 PM

I'm currently staying at the Westin Ebisu which I like very much. Good size rooms and bathrooms. Clean and moderate with good service. Next to a department store which is very useful for food shopping. 15 min walk to train station and subway line.
Grand Hyatt also good but is generally much more expensive. Citadines a good 15 min walk from Shinjuku station with Ilea decor and small rooms. Plus for small kitchenette and laundry on site. Price also reasonable for about $220/n. Much Cheaper than its London or Paris locations.

jacketwatch Apr 19th, 2014 05:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. We have decided on the Hyatt Regency. They had a good deal per their own website which actually was about $150.00 less than on hotels.com so we booked it.
Cheers, Larry. :)

DonTopaz Apr 19th, 2014 04:30 PM

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Grand Hyatt; it's a top-notch hotel in a good location. Here are a couple of reccos for places to eat in the Roppongi Hills complex (where the hotel sits):

I've always enjoyed Butagumi, a fantastic tonkatsu (fried pork) restaurant that's about a 15-minute walk from the GH. Imagine my very happy surprise to discover recently that Butagumi has opened a small branch in Roppongi Hills, hard by the GH. The menu isn't quite as extensive as in the full restaurant, but you've got a choice of standard or Kagoshima pork, in either the loin (rosu, or marbled) or filet (hire, which is very lean). Fried to perfection with cabbage, rice, sauce, and amazing mustard. English menus available. It's in the B1 floor of the North Tower. Easiest route from the GH is to take the escalator down to The Hat from the plaza, then turn right and follow the sign to the North Tower.

Another excellent place if you're concerned about language issues is a conveyor belt sushi place, Pinkotona. The great feature of conveyor belt sushi is that you don't have to speak a word -- just sit at the counter and pick up a little plate of sushi as it passes by. Still, the sushi chefs at Pinkotona do speak some English (as is the case with many places in Roppongi Hills). Best of all, the sushi is excellent, and it's a pleasant place. It's on the B2 floor of the Metro Hat in the Roppongi Hills complex.

If you're looking for high-end places, Roppongi Hills has a branch of the famous Jiro sushi shop (this one run by his son) and a tempura place called Mikawa. Unlike tghe previous two places I mentioned, I can't give 1st-hand reviews of these, but they've both got good reputations.

For a nice walk near the hotel, take a stroll through the Azabu Juban quarter. Welcoming streets with small shops -- it reminded me of Paris's Left Bank first time I went there. Ask the GH's concierge for directions.

To get to the hotel from Narita, the easiest option is the Airport bus (http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus...s/narita/index ).

mjs Apr 19th, 2014 11:28 PM

I too think you will like the GH. Just visited a friend there today. Much nicer than any US Hyatt. Modern Japanese look. I only know what a standard room looks like but they are moderate in size and quite comfortable. I tend to prefer a separate shower and bath. The shower in the GH is separate but next to the bath without any glass or wall between them. There is glass separating the bath/shower from the bedroom.
Lots of places to eat in the Roppongi hills complex and I think they tend to have English menus.
Sushi Jiro is a little difficult to find but not unreasonable in price for the quality. Expect about $250/person for dinner without drinks.

jacketwatch Apr 20th, 2014 06:58 AM

Actually it's the H Regency and not the Grand we have chosen. The Grand was pretty high and we got a good deal with breakfast at the Regency. Does anyone know how far the Ginza district is from this hotel?
Thanks !

DonTopaz Apr 20th, 2014 08:02 AM

Ginza is on the other side of the city. Hyatt Regency is a comfortable-enough hotel, but not the best location for most tourists: in one of the most bewilderingly complex areas of the city, filled with a high concentration of glass-and-steel office buildings. Though you do have access to the subway, so you can get anywhere, though it may take a while longer than from other parts of town. If your room is on the west side of the hotel and you have a very clear day, you can see Mt Fuji.

(I stayed at the HR on my very first trip to Tokyo, when I didn't know any better and when the hotel was called the Century Hyatt. I've never been tempted to stay there since.)

jacketwatch Apr 20th, 2014 08:23 AM

Thanks Dan. Actually the HR is way less that the HG, maybe by half. Is there something in a better locale that is price wise about the same as the HR which is $283.00 per noc with daily breakfast for two?

mrwunrfl Apr 20th, 2014 08:55 AM

4-minute walk to Nishi-Shinjuku metro station then 18 min on the Marunouchi Line to Ginza.

1-minute walk to Tochomae subway, then change from that Toei subway to another subway line to get to Ginza in 28 minutes, more or less.

There is a 7-11 under the HR, so you may be a able to get cash from an international ATM there.

You are going to need a map of the local area if/when you walk between the hotel and Shinjuku station. It is easy to get lost.

Be aware that the street maps in the stations are not north-up. They are oriented to the way you are facing. For example, left on the map is to your left, not west.

jacketwatch Apr 20th, 2014 09:05 AM

So about 30 mins. to the Ginza district. Not bad. Thanks! :)

akiookabe May 7th, 2014 11:32 PM

Both of Hilton and Hyatt are good. Many foreiners stay and get pleased with them. If you save money and want to stay near shopping area, business hotels in Shinjuku and Shibuya are also recommendable.
http://tokyotravelerhotels.com/shibu...granbell-hotel
http://tokyotravelerhotels.com/shinj...-hotel-yotsuya
They are well furnished and lower price than Hilton or Hyatt. Search your best hotel.