Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Recommended tour guide for Angkor (Cambodia)

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To travelers to Angkor in Cambodia,

Hi, I'm posting this for anyone looking for an excellent tour guide for the Angkor temples and other areas near Siem Reap, Cambodia.

In March 2004, my girlfriend and I traveled from the US to Siem Reap, Cambodia and stayed for 3 days at Angkor Village Resort. The resort arranged a tour guide and driver for us. Our tour guide was Panha Ou, of Angkor Adventure Service (website: www.angkoradventure.greatnow.com; e-mail: [email protected]).

Panha (pronounced "pahn-yah") is highly educated and speaks excellent English, and he took us on two all-day tours of many of the temples of Angkor, including Angkor Wat, the Bayon, Ta Prohm, Preah Khan, Banteay Srei, and Banteay Samre, among others. Panha told us all about the history and significance of each temple, as well as taught us much about the history of Cambodia and its ancient kingdoms. He knew all about the construction, religious/cultural significance, and politics behind each temple we visited, and he explained the meanings of all the different engravings and statues that we saw. He often took us to the temples when there were less tourists, so that we would have more space and time to explore (except for Angkor Wat, which of course seemed to always be crowded).

Panha is very friendly (we stayed in touch via e-mail), knowledgeable (he even recommended a couple excellent places to eat lunch/dinner in Siem Reap, one place called Soup Dragon and another called Bayon Restaurant), and popular (he seemed to know everyone wherever we went!) The daily tour package rates, including driver, were very reasonable. Panha was by far the best tour guide we have ever had on any trip, and I recommend him highly for anyone who wants to fully appreciate Angkor's temples and sites.

Hope this helps any travelers who plan to go to Angkor Wat and/or any of the other temples of Angkor.

Best,
Oliver Yun
New York, NY
[email protected]

Angkor tour guide:
Panha Ou
Angkor Adventure Service
Ph. Chong Koasou, Kh. Slor Kram
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Tel: (855) 12-820 570
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.angkoradventure.greatnow.com/
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:05 PM

i too can recomend him as a guide...we used his services for 2 days during our time in SR...his english is excellent and he is personable...he is always prompt...i had a back problem and he allowed me to take his place in the front seat...the driver he used was pleasant and accomodating as well...
he is very reasonable...
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Thanks. I was going to post this question and voila!, found the answer without even asking. Could I ask what the appropriate tipping scenario would be for drivers/guides etc. Is there a standard percentage?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM

i think my bill was $40 for each (2 days and i gave them each $50...no i think i gave the guide $60...thats a hefty tip but they are worth it and are so needy....
i gave the driver $5 when he took us out to dinner one nite and waited for us...drinks at the grand hotel and then a regular restaurant...he was delighted with the extra money...i asked the guide what to give him and he said give him anything and he will be pleased...
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:34 AM

Many thanks. I wish it was as easy to get answers in real life as is on this forum!