Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   recommendation for thailand. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/recommendation-for-thailand-622117/)

AusTan Jun 9th, 2006 02:48 AM

recommendation for thailand.

Hi everyone,

I have read a lot of the Thailand topics and it has been very helpful. So I thank you all in advance for any of your recommendation.

Me and my partner are in our early 20’s we will be arriving in Thailand the 28/09 for our first time. We are staying at Pathumwan Princess in BKK for 2 nights and the Merlin Beach Resort for 6 nights in Phuket. I personally can’t wait to go over there, I’ve heard so many fabulous things about Thailand.

What we are hoping for is to do a lot of shopping in BKK and do some day trips in Phuket.

Where in BKK, can I do some good shopping? Also what day trips are recommended?

Also is there anything I should be aware or worried about being a tourist in Thailand? Eg. Scams, where not to go and so forth.

rhkkmk Jun 9th, 2006 07:15 AM

lets talk scams....you will meet up with lots of thais who "want" to help you...they are businessmen on their own...ignor them....they approach you with the aim of helping but they just want to steer you to a commissioned business where they can make money...just engage in limited small talk with them, BUT NEVER GO WITH THEM...this is both in bkk and in phuket...in phuket you get the time share sellers as well...never go!!

thailand is very easy to visit so relax and enjoy it...

tell us what you want to buy and we can suggest specific places..

MBK near the national stadium stop on the skytrain is a good all around shopping bet...7 floors of stuff from electronics to slippers...

the jim thompson shops are wonderful upscale places including their outlet on soi 93, sukhumvit rd...

there are many malls to visit...several are located in the siam area of town, near to the skytrin..not far from mbk...

there are more upscale shopping places like gaysorn plaza, peninsula plaza as well

central chitlom is a huge dept store right on the skytrain--direct entrance from the chitlom stop....excellent cafeteria to eat in called the loft on floor 7---don't miss it!!

lots of good buys on home furnishings..

i think pratnum princess is almost next door to mbk by the way...

Jed Jun 10th, 2006 06:18 AM

If you find a taxi on the street, no matter where you want to go, he will say it is closed, and you should go where he says.

If you want to go to a specific restaurant, he will suggest a better one. We said that we have to meet our friends at our restaurant, and that was that! ((*))

kooziedog Jul 19th, 2006 08:33 AM

You will love Thailand, it's a wonderful country. Been living in Bangkok for 10 months now. Here are some of my recommendations. For shopping you have big beautiful, yet more expensive indoor shopping at malls like Emporium, Siam Paragon, and Central Chidlom, all located on Sukhumvit Road. For outdoor markets with good prices and unique and interesting Thai goods you can go to Suan Lum Night Bazaar or JJ's (Jatujak) Market. The outdoor markets are hot and crowded but you can barter on prices and they are always guaranteed to provided some funny memories about Thailand. Another tip - if you're a westerner here you usually get charged double for things at outdoor stalls and markets, unless you're at a retail store where the prices are a fixed amount. Barter gently and kindly here and you will find the Thais will go down in price. Careful not to offend though. Westerners make a lot more money than most here so paying a bit extra than a local is to be expected. I stayed at Merlin Beach Resort in Phuket last year over Christmas and it's a great place! Beautiful hotel, great service, superb pools, very good restaurants, too. It's only a few kilometers from Patong Beach, but after you spend a little time at Patong, you'll be ready to go somewhere else that's a little less rowdy (unless you like that kind of scene). You won't be disappointed at Merlin Beach Resort - it's a great priced hotel for the value and beauty you get with it. Try the swim up bar in the afternoon...it's a cool little place to hang out and have a cocktail. Have a fun trip!

BradinBangkok Jul 19th, 2006 10:11 AM

MBK is probably the best all around indoor shopping experience in Thailand. The Pathumwan Princess is the adjoining hotel to MBK, so just walk out of the lobby into the mall. Its easy to spend a whole day there.

DonJ1973 Jul 19th, 2006 11:30 AM

I would also check out Seacon Square. It's just as big as MBK and the shopping experience is pretty equal.