Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Recent experiences with Conrad Singapore and Hong Kong? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/recent-experiences-with-conrad-singapore-and-hong-kong-390106/)

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 21st, 2004 12:03 PM

Recent experiences with Conrad Singapore and Hong Kong?

I will be staying for 2 nights at the Conrad Singapore and 7 nights at the Conrad Hong Kong. Any recent experiences? Any particular floors/rooms?
Any advice on which restaurants to try and which to avoid? I would like to have 1 nice dinner at each hotel.

Cicerone Jan 22nd, 2004 01:54 AM

I only know the Conrad in Hong Kong. As for a room on a high floor. I believe all the rooms have a "mountain view" which means that you will be looking up toward the Peak, rather than the harbour. I could be wrong on this, so do check to see if you can get a harbour view. (Of course, the Peak is beautiful in its own way).

In the hotel Nicholini's (Italian) is excellent. Next door at the Shangri-La, two very good restaurants are the Lobster Bar and Grill (continental with emphasis on seafood) and the Summer Palace (esp. good for dim sum). At the Marriott, also in the same complex as the Conrad, JW's California's restaurant (Asian/California fusion) is very good. None of these restaurants have any views to speak of. There is a French restaurant on the top of the Shangri-la called Petrus which would have good views and generally gets good reviews, but I have not been there. I would suggest you venture out to other restaurants in both Hong Kong and Singapore, as eating is such a pastime in both cities. Run a search here, or write back and I can give suggestions for Hong Kong and some Singapore restaurants.

DonTopaz Jan 22nd, 2004 05:08 AM

Actually, the Conrad in HKG has both mountain view rooms and harbour-view rooms. Harbour-view rooms are marvelous and much, much more pleasant, and usually cost about US$40-60 more per night. For me, they are certainly worth it.

The Conrad's rooms are all on the 40th floor (or maybe even a little higher) and above, so the floor doesn't matter too much. There's also very little difference in the room sizes -- the main distinction is being on one of the Executive Floors (57-60, I think) or not. This gets you into the club lounge with complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening cocktails/appetizers.

My favorite restaurant is the cafe Too, a terrific buffet in the Shangri-La hotel, in the same complex as the Conrad. The buffet has an incredible selection, and it's also an excellent choice for someone traveling solo. (Easiest way to get there is walk past the Conrad's pool, on the Lower Lobby, and keep walking until you reach the Shangri-La.)

The shopping center that the Conrad, Shang, and Marriott are connected to has several good food options, as well. Top of the list is the food shop in the basement of the Seibu department, which offers lots of good eat-in and take-away choices -- from sandwiches to sushi to pizza to Korean and Vietnamese specialties. If you get hungry for a burger, Dan Ryan's is a good choice -- it's one level above the food court in the mall.

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 22nd, 2004 07:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm suppose to get upgraded to the executive floors (if available during check-in).
Also, I will venture out and try all the different stuff available in HKG, but I always like to have a nice quiet evening in the hotel I'm staying in, usually the last evening, so that's why I asked.
Any suggestions for the rest of the stay in HKG would be welcomed and appreciated.

Still looking for SIN? :-)

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 24th, 2004 02:26 AM

bump :-)

Kate_W Jan 24th, 2004 01:04 PM

For the Conrad HK, request in advance a King Size or Queen Size bed. When I checked in (without having made a particular request), I got a large room - with two rather small double beds.

bonesaz Jan 26th, 2004 07:16 AM

Stayed at the Conrad SIN about 10 months ago, on the executive floor (Got a free upgrade due to Hilton VIP status). Don't know if the rooms were any different, but they were very comfortable - Bathrooms were especially nice. The best perk is access to the exec lounge on the top floor - views are great day or night. Enjoyed breakfast and evening cocktails here. The only restaurant in the hotel I tried was Oscar's, where the food was good but not particularly memorable. I believe the best restaurant in the hotel is the Golden Peony (Cantonese) - saw the dining room, looked fancy. Frankly, the best dining experiences I had in SIN cost me about $5 apiece at a hawker center. Staff at the hotel were great, very helpful. All in all, a good experience and I would stay again.

mrwunrfl Jan 27th, 2004 03:38 PM

Most Wednesday nights you will find thoroughbred horse racing at the Happyvalley racetrack. Races start at 7:30PM. Tell your taxi driver to take you to the member's entrance where you can buy a visitor's badge for entry to the member's area. Bring your passport for that.

mrwunrfl Jan 27th, 2004 04:28 PM

Happy Valley is one of two tracks where the Hong Kong Jockey Club holds race meets.

HKTraveler Feb 9th, 2004 07:19 AM

There is a cigar bar on the 8th floor of the Conrad between Nicholini's and Brasserie on the Eigth. Nice place to wind down if that is what you are looking for.