Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Really great seafood in BKK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/really-great-seafood-in-bkk-639183/)

SueHuml Aug 14th, 2006 05:39 PM

Really great seafood in BKK?

I remember some mention of a small chain of seafood rests something like Sonboon or something like that. It was mentioned that most customers were Thai.
When we stayed at the Davis, there was a place on the same street with lots of neon, looked huge, it was on it's own little street it had a name something like Soonabon, could it be the one that was mentioned? We are up for Good fresh seafood this coming Jan, but not the kind I often see in markets that have more appeal to flies than humans.
We shall be back at the Davis for a few nights so if it's the one that was mentioned, even better, we can walk to it.
Sue

CFW Aug 14th, 2006 05:51 PM

Sue, You may be thinking of the Seafood Market, which is on the same street as the Davis. It's not a chain, but has delicious VERY fresh seafood. It is like a market in that you pick out the the fresh seafood or fish you like from the market part and they then prepare it for you. The preparations are delicious. Do a search on this forum & you will find lots of opinions about this place. Some thought it overpriced, but it depends on what you order. We thought it was well worth it & have never had such fresh delicious seafood.

travelmug Aug 14th, 2006 06:19 PM

The name is Somboon. I went to one of their several outlets. Good seafood.

Hanuman Aug 14th, 2006 06:53 PM

As pointed out by travelmug the restaurant is call Somboon Seafood Restaurant. Their website is: http://www.somboonseafood.com/index_en.html

Hanuman Aug 14th, 2006 06:59 PM

Just thought of another place that you might like to try since it's kind of similar to Somboon - Je Ngor restaurant. Very popular with the local and here's the link: http://www.jengor-seafoods.com/

rhkkmk Aug 14th, 2006 08:20 PM

i find the seafood way over prices and except right near the ocean not all that fresh....we are spoiled here in NE, so that may account for my feelings...

we also find the prices very high....meals at these outlets, the two mentioned above, are significant and i don't scrimp on my meal tabs...

the shrimp is great everyplace honestly...

Hanuman Aug 14th, 2006 08:48 PM

Bob,

At Somboon I really enjoy the crab in their special curry sauce and the crabs(big mud crab) that I normally pick are kept alive. I don't think it can get much fresher than that! If I recall correctly the crab goes for about 1 Baht per gram or 1,000 baht per kilo, expensive but I think that's quite reasonable for a restaurant. Also, the fish and shrimps are kept alive in tanks as well so I think you might have confuse some other seafood restaurant with the two I've mentioned.

Peteralan Aug 14th, 2006 09:23 PM

We enjoyed Somboon also a couple of weeks ago and yes the crab was a speciality looking around the other tables. Have fun!

kuranosuke Aug 14th, 2006 10:29 PM

sue, i've had those crabs in ne, and they pale in comparison to the crabs we have in hawaii.

the crab curry in somboon is excellent . but, there are soooo many places that serve crab curry, or prepared other ways, such as black bean sauce, black pepper, etc. so go and explore. you can't go wrong.

ps. bob, i hope we are still buddies. i need a ride to the jt warehouse sale. lol.

Gpanda Aug 15th, 2006 04:31 AM

Crabs are not a New England specialty. Clams, oysters, lobsters, scallops and fish are what we prize. Nonetheless, in Thailand, we always have fish or shrimp on a regular basis. The King Prawns, grilled are a favorite of mine.

bkkmei Aug 15th, 2006 04:57 AM

hiya
Somboon is my favourite restaurant in BKK. I love the crab curry - for 2 people it only cost about 300 baht I think which is a bargain (cp to London!!!). Also love the sea bass there. An interesting dish we tried there was deep fried sea bass cooked in North Eastern Thai style.
The branch I go to is on the corner of Thanon Surawong and Chong Nonsi.

SueHuml Aug 15th, 2006 06:39 AM

You are great.. It was really something to go directly to the Somboom website and see the menu and also read about a taxi driver scam to take unsuspecting diners to fake Sombooms with inflated prices for Farangs.

As we shall be 2 weeks in Phuket and will have a rental car for part of the time, and a few days in Hua Hin, we might be better off for seafood there as I'm sure it's straight from the ocean that day.

Last year we went to a beachside mom and pop establishment at the little seaside place called Ny Yang Beach, Phuket. The whole area had been badly hit by the Tsunami however, they had made great strides at rebuilding. We had realy enyoyed this place a couple of years previously as you could pick your fresh fish right off the ice display. Unfortunately,this Jan, it was the only time we both had upset stomachs and were a bit put off when we wanted to wash our hands after using the loo and there was nowhere to do it. The owners went to some tap outside the building and brought us a bowl of water for handwashing. Made us wonder about hand washing for the food preparers and if that was why we both suffered for a few days afterwards.
Sue

kuranosuke Aug 15th, 2006 06:50 AM

andy, you are absolutely correct. i love all those items you mentioned, and have them everytime i'm in your neck of the woods.

rhkkmk Aug 15th, 2006 07:08 PM

most of the new england crabs i know live in cambridge...

actually new england crabs are quite delicious, but are most often caught personally from a pier over the water...

Gpanda Aug 16th, 2006 08:29 AM

Everyone knows that the best crabs are Maryland Blue Crabs. On reflection, given Bob's recent posts, is his eating of crabs a form of cannibalism?

BradinBangkok Aug 16th, 2006 01:09 PM

Crab curry is my favorite Thai food. It is very good and fairly cheap at Somboon.

The best I've had was at Face, but it was more expensive as well.