real cost of food at 5* hotels

Dec 27th, 2003, 02:17 PM
mae
Original Poster

real cost of food at 5* hotels

What is the real cost of food at hotel restaurants in 5* hotels in Thailand?
Am considering the Peninsula in BK, Chedi or Banyan tree in Phuket, Pimilai in Krabi and 4Seasons in Chiang Mai. Didn't know what the cost of an entree would be and was told to expect American prices.
We tend to stay in the restaurants in the hotels given very sensitive stomachs prone to getting ill (no street vendors, etc.)
Am deciding between Thailand and Australia for next vacation and am doing cost analysis!
Dec 27th, 2003, 02:58 PM
sandi

We stayed at and ate at the Peninsula in BKK and found the prices rather reasonable. Coming from NYC, reasonable is relative, but even in NYC you can find plenty of places to eat at moderate prices.

That said, entrees at the Chinese Restaurant at the Pen ran about $10-$15 and that was for meat or seafood. While we didn't eat a 7-course meal, the total for two with a few drinks came to less than $50.

And when up north in Chiang Rai and south in Phuket, our dinners were relatively inexpensive, maybe $15-$20/person that that included a drink or two each.

Can't tell about lunches as I don't recall having lunch at any hotel; either we didn't eat lunch or lunches were included in whatever our days' activities were, but simply checking the restaurant menus I'm sure they didn't cost anywhere near $10, my beer was probably more expensive than the food.

The USD still has some value in either Thailand or Australia (unlike many European destinations).

But if considering either Thailand or Australia, realize these are two distincly different destinations. Your USD will serve you well in either - you just have to decide what type of holiday you wish.

Dec 27th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Sani has given you an idea of prices. Naturally 5* hotels you 'are' going to pay more, but that is because they are 5*. A decent meal for 2 in Thailand about $10-15, $20-25 for a better meal.
Naturally you can eat a great deal cheaper!
Cost comparing with Australia, well, Australian food is good and you can pay 'the earth' for a great meal, but on a day to day basis you can get a Good Buffet Lunch for about US$8 ( B 220 ), US$1.70 for a decent coffee ( B 70 ), Taxi from airport to City US$12 ( B 500 ), an airport hotel for the night US$30 ( B 1,300 ), a good 3-star hotel for US$60 ( B 2,300 ). Shopping in the stores I think is 'cheap', and when I convert AUD$ to Thai Baht I start 'spending like mad', whenevever I go to Australia I fly back to BKK with packed baggage!!
These are just soume rough ideas but overall I would say that in Australia you get amazing value for money, local transport is very cheap, and areas like Brisbane and the Coast has excellent transport network that is cheap and efficient. A beach condo/apartments for a family in Queensland beach area costs me about AUD70 with is about B 1,750 all-in, that is cheap! And top quality I might add.
Dec 27th, 2003, 09:24 PM
mae
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!
Seems like thailand is very affordable, and the food is cheaper than back home--we're in SF which is cheaper than NY but eating at the Ritz or any other nice hotel restaurant here will run much more than what the Pen in Bangkok costs.
Australia and Thailand are quite different--but the little research I've done, I've found that the nicer hotels in Australia are running much higher than Thailand (Lizard Island at over $1,000USA/nt)!
We like nice hotels but can't afford Lizard --am looking for some luxury in a relaxing beach setting--which drew us to Thailand....but always wanted to see Sydney...
Dec 28th, 2003, 05:22 AM
sandi

mae -

Lizard Island has always been expensive and exclusive.

I hope you realize that the prices I provided were based on the amount of food that we ate. The heat had a lot to do with out not having very big meals - so it's not to say, that more food at a given meal wouldn't cost you more.

Further to my reply above, checked my file from that trip and found information that during our stay in Phuket, they has a special "Italian" night, and though it was buffet, the price was only 480Baht/person which was about $12/person - including appetizer, entre, salads, deserts, drinks (other than alcoholic) and everything was delicious. We had dinner in this same restaurant (my former reply) ordering off the menu - a salad each and a pasta entre - and for the two of us was $35 with 1-drink each and a carafe of wine.

Dec 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM

i typed you a long response this am, but it was not posted so i will type an abridged one now:

from two different trips

jw marriott california rest...now closed--great lunch for $25 incl beers
hunali cha cha indian restaurant near oriental hotel--895B--great meal
biscotti in the regent hotel (now 4 seasons)--lunch--1780B--compare to same in usa at $60+
garden cafe at marriott resort--905B
italien rest. dumo near silom center--740B--lunch
thai family restaurant in mall at marriott on river--$15 dinner for two with beers
baynon tree 60th floor dim sum lunch---1547B--great food, great view
california rest in jw marriott--800B--lunch
beni hanna in marriott--$40
jim thompson cafe at main store--great lunch place--535B
sala rim floor show and dinner---ugh...at oriental--1500B each i think
lord jim at the oriental---great lunch buffet--790B per person--great buy
sarento restaurant on silom--italien--quite nice..$43
indian rest. at rembrandt hotel, soi 18, sukumvit rd---sunday onlky buffet--480B per person--fabulous
late dinner in bar at jw marriott--italien dish and a burger--1129B--quite espensive but good
biscotti again for dinner at regent--2283B--compare to $100 in usa
jesters at the peninsula for dinner---fabulous 2600B...compare to $150 in usa
cilantro at peninsula---ordinary restaurant for mid priced meals and where breakfast buffet is--dinner 2000B
steak and shrimp--3 courses
thai rest. at marriott on river $15 with beer
crepes and co, soi 12, sukumvit rd---great place ofr any time of day--$18, two courses
biscotti again--no price recorded--we love this restaurant...
senor pico in rembrandt hotel--mexican--$44-expensive but good..lots of beer
mantra rest. on covent rd..very good nouvelle..lunch--720B
rice mill rest. in marriot on river--chinese--good-1153B
cabbages and condoms, soi 12, sukumvit rd--fair thai $12
senses in gaysorn plaza..2nd floor...sandwich lunch--very very good-$13
harmonique restaurant, soi 34, new road..great thai food...dinner--$20---poor service however, but food makes up for it
gourmet gallery--off soi 39, sukumvit rd..lunch--$21...have the onion soup
gianni's italien near sukumvit rd...not good and too expensive--$46.
sukathai hotel for lunch in thai restaurant--lovely presentation, but expensive..$40
dinner at jesters at peninsula--3460B, expensive but really top notch meal and great view of river...

hope this helps...

never drink anything but bottled water and no ice....even in fancy places...can ruin your vaction...

Dec 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM

take the B at about 40 to the dollar on average to get prices above..
Jan 1st, 2004, 08:02 AM
mae
Original Poster

thank you! I'm taking it that the prices quoted are for two?
do you know how much are spa treatments at the hotel spas such as at the Pen, and 4 Seasons?
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:36 PM

sorry, yes the prices are for 2...i do not know spa treatments, but i will tell you that they are considerably more than what you pay at non-hotels...i think kathie will answer you on this...probably...
Jan 1st, 2004, 12:38 PM

also the prices of meals outside of hotels are much less than in hotels, and sometimes they are just as good....but i do love some of the hotel restaurants..
Jan 1st, 2004, 03:24 PM

Sorry, I can't seem to find my spa price list. You can expect that spas, even in the very best places (like the Chiva Som!) will be significantly less than in the US. At the 5* hotels, you will pay more than at free-standing spas, but the atmosphere is wonderful.

The best deals are the spa packages, where you buy several spa treatments. I can find the charges to my credit card, and a two hour (often massage and facial) at a 5* place is about US$125. If you do a half day or full day, the value is even better, I did a full day (including lunch) at the Chiva Som a year ago for US$250. Generally, both tax and service are added to the price.

If you are staying at places that have a Mandara spa, you can buy a spa card that gives you good discounts. It looks to me like the Mandara Spas are mostly at the Anantaras, the Marriotts and the Royal Orchid.
May 21st, 2004, 09:15 AM

We just returned from a week long stay at the Chedi and I thought I'd share some of the pricing. Again, using a benchmake of about 40 baht to the US dollar.

Local beer 120
Mixed drinks 195
(happy hour 5:30-7:30 buy 2 get one free but oftentimes it was buy 1 get one free)

The beach restaurant was mostly grilled steaks and fish, many priced by the gram. I had a chicken dish that was on the low end at 480 baht, my wife had a grilled snapper that was about 650 (priced by weight). If i recall appetizers were in the 300 range.

There was a beach barbeque one night that was quite good and went for 1000 baht.

Breakfast was 500 baht for a nice buffet

The general lunch/dinner restuarant (same menu) was a bit less expensive, had sandwiches and pizzas and whatnot. A sandwich was 360 baht and some of the larger entrees were in the 5-700 range. The thai section of the menu was a bit cheaper of course but still quite a bit more than youd pay in town.

Had drinks at Amanpuri as well. Local beer was 140 and a mixed drink was 300 baht.
Hope this helps. We had a very nice stay.
May 22nd, 2004, 12:52 PM

Mae, check the Australia/Pacific forum where you'll find many detailed threads on what to do and where to go in Australia, also some good trip reports. Sydney is a great city but it's not really a place for lazing around - like any major city it's best experienced "on the hoof". There are many options and things of interest in Far North Queensland, including of course the Great Barrier Reef but the World Heritage-listed Daintree Rain Forest.