Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Rayavadee Resort Krabi. Is it as good as it seems?

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:36 AM
mytha

I'm going to Thailand , Krabi in a couple of months and will be staying at the Rayavadee Premier resort in Krabi. ANY information on the resort will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:29 AM
Justin

Stayed at Rayavadee Premier Resort in Krabi last Christmas. Well, the villas are spectacular! The property seems like a very typical luxurious resort in Southeast Asia. It gave me and my family an unforgettable sense of the Thai culture (though the rooms are very westernized).

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:29 AM
Justin

Oh, also look into Pimalai Resort & Spa in Krabi. I've heard amazing stuff about it.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:52 AM
david

i'm going there as well in January, found great rates on Starwoods web site, E-mail me if you want details.

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:28 PM
Jo

Oh my God I can't believe what I have read above! My husband and I stayed at the Rayavadee last July2001 and what a waste of money!!!The Rayavadee is a total waste of money and run by people who are a bunch of con artists!!! We were never told before we left Canada that the hotel was undergoing major rennovations.They also never told us that the beach was public. It was not at all exclusive as portrayed in the resort brochure, instead there are backpackers everywhere. Don't get me worng there's nothing wrong in backpackers, but it just made you feel like an idiot sharing the same bit of beach you paid a fortune for!!! The beaches were also alot smaller than we had expected.Our villa needed major repair...considering the resort was only 5 years old!! The shower leaked, the tub was detached from the wall and the toilet was tempramental!! There wasn't much to do, even the video library was full of hits from the 70's. The excursions were pricey. Your best bet would be to go to the beach and charter a long tail boat like all the back packers do. Before arriving in Thailand we had a stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Bali which was so much better and half the cost.On top of everything the hotel bell boy damaged our suitcases while transporting them from the sea boat and then denied it all. When we contaced the hotel they did not want any responsibilty which really pissed us off after having spent 4 days there and $2500!!!!!!!!What a bloody waste of money!!Thai people seem so corrupt compared to Balinese people. If I were you I would have chosen to go to Bali, Singapore or Malaysia...where you would get better value for your money and REAL luxuary.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:32 AM
bruno

Hi Mytha

we stayed 3 years ago in Rayavadee Resort. Our impression was: slightly overpriced. We knew that you share Railey Beach also with backpackers but we did not care about it.
For a little bid less of comfort we stayed last year at BANG SAK BEACH RESORT IN KHAO LAK, where the price was not overpriced. This year in November we go to Koh Lanta and have a look in the Pimalai Resort (must be excellent resort for half of price at Rayavadee)
Wish you a nice stay in southern Thailand = Bruno

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Justin

Bruno! Please let us know how Pimalai is after your trip in November! I've heard wonderful things about it. Hope you'll have a nice trip to Krabi.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
david

Anyone been to Rayavadee since Starwood took over? I understand the hotel is being renovated, I think the Deluxe Pavilions were done a few months ago and the rest supposed to be done by 3rd quarter. Anyone else with personal experience, negative or positive?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Beth

We just got back from our stay at the Pimalai and it was exquisite! And the price was more than right. There is a great sense of pride that the employees radiate, and with that, makes it extremely well run. Also, the food is awesome - I really couldn't say enough good things about this resort without doing it justice. My one complaint is that I didn't book more time.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:22 AM
david

BUMP

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Tom

I'm traveling to Koh Lanta Yai and staying at the Pimalai Resort and Spa in the next few weeks. Being an American I'm concerned about safety issues due to the high Muslim Population. Should this be a concern?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Keith

Tom - I really wouldn't worry we were in the area last November and as anywhere in Thailand the people of whatever faith could not have been more hospitable - We loved it so much last time that we are going back again this year staying at the Pimalai Resort - counting the days!