Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Ranthambore or Udaipur (as a second destination after Jaipur)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/ranthambore-or-udaipur-as-a-second-destination-after-jaipur-564365/)

Firecracker Oct 13th, 2005 01:16 PM

Ranthambore or Udaipur (as a second destination after Jaipur)?

My husband and I (both active, in our 30s) are going to Jaipur for a wedding in late Nov 2005. After four days in Jaipur (actually, two nights in Samode Palace, and two nights in Jaipur city central)we would like reccomendations for three nights at a second destination.

We are both of Indian origin, and have recently moved to Bangalore from San Francisco. I was on a whirlwind trip to Rajastahn ten years ago; this will be my husbands first visit.

1. We would like to minimize driving/travel time.
2. We're willing to splurge a bit (no more than $300/night)
3. I'd like someplace relatively peaceful/beautiful after the craziness of a big Indian wedding in Jaipur.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Craig Oct 13th, 2005 01:32 PM

Well, I can't speak for Udaipur because I have not been there but Sherbagh at Ranthambore would fit your budget. It is a bit rustic - you sleep in tents - but the people are wonderful, the food is excellent and the place is definitely peaceful compared to Jaipur - plus you can go on game drives in the park. I would not count on seeing a tiger, but the park is beautiful and there is much other wildlife to see. If you are looking to take it slow, I would only schedule one game drive per day as the drives are long - 4 or 5 hours.

rhkkmk Oct 13th, 2005 06:57 PM

how about any one of the oberoi properties...they may be more than your budget however...

hobbes Oct 14th, 2005 01:21 AM

I think you need to think about connections and travel time. Jaipur-Ranthambore is a 4 hour drive. From Ranthambore you will have to take an overnight train back to Delhi to get a flight to Bangalore. Jaipur-Udaipur you can fly and then Udaipur-Bangalore you can probably fly via Bombay tho they may even have a direct flight now. Go to the Indian Airlines and Jet websites and see if flt timings work for you, compare this with Ranthambore then decide. I love Sher Bagh in Ranthambore and always reco it. In Udaipur you can look at Udai Vilas, the Oberoi property which may be expensive, Devi Garh, a bit out of town or Shiv Niwas. Aman Resorts is offering some deals on their new property on the outskirts of Jaipur - www.amanresorts.com.

TravlinFool Oct 16th, 2005 02:52 AM

I vote for Udaipur. It's a beautiful city. And a day trip to the Jain temples in Ranakpur will give you a nice break from the cities. On the drive through the hills you can stop at villages, meet locals, etc.

Ranthambore is also beautiful, but there wasn't all that much wildlife. I don't know if that's a seasonal thing, though. I was there in Feb, 2003.