Rajasthan vs Agra (Taj Mahal)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would be interested in any views as to the relative merits of visiting Rajasthan vs Agra (Taj Mahal). I will be staying in India over a weekend (there on work) and will have flexibility between the two places. Fly into Jaipur or into Delhi and then travel to Agra. The other key factor is that it is likely but not definite that I will return to Delhi and possibly be able to fit in a one-day trip to the Taj Mahal in the future. My thinking is I should spend a weekend in Rajasthan rather. Does anyone have any thoughts is the Taj Mahal that amazing? And also if you recommend Rajasthan is there specific sights that should be seen above all else? Thanks very much
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM

most guidebooks and travelers suggest one day in agra period...
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM

The Taj Mahal is pretty amazing - best viewed early in the morning which means at least one overnight. There is enough in Agra to keep you busy for the rest of the day - Agra Fort, Baby Taj and Fatephur Sikri. You could then return to Delhi in the evening.

Rajasthan encompasses a fairly large area where you could spend a couple of weeks touring. If you just wanted to do the capital Jaipur, I suppose you could see all the sites in a very long day - City Palace area + Amber Fort - you'd probably need 2 nights though. Further afield are Ranthambore National Park + Jodhpur, Udaipur, Jaisalmer and Bikaner.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM

With this rushed itinerary I would suggest u plan to see Agra this time with maybe some time in Delhi (which has a great deal to see) and save Rajasthan for a future, longer trip. Within Rajasthan, Jaipur is the most accessible and perhaps the one city - if you have to choose only one. The Taj Mahal is truly overwhelming IMO. If you overnight in Agra splurge on Amar Vilas which is a girgeous hotel. Try to see the Taj twice - once the day you reach and the next day at sunrise. Check if you are traveling on the days when moonlight viewing is permitted - 4-5 days a month - again an enchanted experience IMO.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Agree with hobbes. The Taj is an enthralling sight! If you want a good place to stay & money is a consideration you could check this website out.
http://www.agra-indianhomestay.com/

Someone, (an Indian) whose opinion I value, says it's a good place to stay.

I've stayed at Hotel Sheela, 50 metres from the Taj east gate, but it's a real budget icon and maybe too basic an option.

Save Jaipur until you can give her 3-4 days. She is worth the diversion! Enjoy yourself!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM

I would agree that a weekend in Rajsathsan is not going to be enough (it's like having a weekend in "England" where do you start?), even just a weekend in Jaipur isn't enough to do justice to that city as there is a lot to see and do. . Also, where are you going to be in India for work? There may well be very interesting sights nearby that would be easy to get to for a weekend that might be as interesting. Time of year is also an issue, much as I love Agra and the Taj, I am not sure I would trek there for a weekend in April when temps could well be 45 C or more. . .also if you are going to be working in say Mumbai, you might enjoy the beaches of Goa in February more than you might enjoy the Taj (coming from the cold gray UK).
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their reponse - The Taj seems the answer!!