Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Rajasthan Itinerary January '12 - Feedback Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/rajasthan-itinerary-january-12-feedback-please-910127/)

Suzy_Q Oct 23rd, 2011 07:28 PM

Rajasthan Itinerary January '12 - Feedback Please

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get everyone's feedback on the below. Unfortunately, we have to skip Udaipur, but it was either that or Jaisalmer.

1/5: Fly from Mumbai to Jodhpur, and immediately drive to Jaisalmer, Overnight in Jaisalmer
1/6: See Jaisalmer, Overnight in Jaisalmer
1/7: See Jaisalmer, Overnight in Jaisalmer
1/8: Drive to Jodhpur, See Jodhpur, Overnight in Jodhpur
1/9: See Jodhpur, Overnight in Jodhpur
1/10: Drive to Jaipur, stop at Ajmer/Pushkar along the way, Overnight in Jaipur
1/11: See Jaipur, Overnight in Jaipur
1/12: See Jaipur, Overnight in Jaipur
1/13: Drive to Agra, stop at Fatehpur Sikri on the way, Overnight in Agra
1/14: Taj Mahal at sunrise, Fort, Drive to Dehli, Overnight in Dehli
1/15: See Dehli, Overnight in Dehli
1/16: See Dehli, Flight out of Dehli at night

Hotels:
Jaisalmer - trying to decide between the Rawal Kot Gateway Taj or the Suryagur. Any thoughts on this?
Jodhpur - booked the Taj Vivanta (Hari Mahal)
Jaipur - booked the Sheraton Rajaputna
Agra - ITC Mughal Agra
Dehli - ITC Delhi Maurya

We're SPG members so for the last three hotels we are using points. Unless there is something wrong with them, free is always the preferred option!

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

pgill26 Oct 23rd, 2011 07:57 PM

I went to jaipur a few years ago,
A few places I would suggest to go are, for shopping - Pink City (the city is literally all pink, pretty amazing)
If you like history, I would go visit the castles, they also have camel and elephant rides.
They have one of the biggest theatres in Asia, in Jaipur, if you like bollywood movies.
Jaipur also has very nice temples.

I had great fun in Jaipur, I hope you do too!

qwovadis Oct 28th, 2011 04:08 AM

jaipurtourism.com

my fav looks great overall

You will have a blast!

rhkkmk Oct 28th, 2011 08:34 AM

sheratons are just fine, nothing special---the delhi one is the nicest.

Suzy_Q Oct 28th, 2011 09:11 PM

Thanks everyone!

CaliNurse Nov 11th, 2011 10:46 PM

ITC Mughal and especially ITC Maurya are fantastic hotels.

The latter is one of the bet hotels i've stayed at anywhere. Impeccable service, gorgeous rooms (not big-- but beautiful, with comfy beds) and lovely little extras...and a beautufyk lush settig nr the diplomatic area of New Delhi. Check out the magnificent artwork overhead in the lobby--and through outside in the sculpture garden.

At Mughal you walk up a short flight of stairs to an outdoor seating area .When we were there June 2010, was a swinging bench, table and chairs. Sit and enjoy a view of Taj Mahal!

dgunbug Nov 12th, 2011 04:10 AM

We stayed at the Taj in Jaisalmer and thought it was ok. The other hotel looks a lot nicer. I was sorry we didn't stay at the Nachana Haveli in town. Check out WHY INDIA, PART II, THAILAND AND NEPAL on this forum. Rhkkmk will be staying there shortly and will be reporting back. We looked at the property and regretted not staying there.

galactus Nov 15th, 2011 10:46 AM

I agree with CaliNurse about the ITC hotels in Agra and Delhi. Especially the ITC Mughal Agra is a fantastic hotel, the Delhi one still has tough competition.

Be sure to eat atleast once at Bukhara and/or Dum Pukht at the Maurya Delhi. They are considered to be the finest in India. A short walk from there is the Taj Palace which houses the Masala Art restaurant, my personal favorite though not as famous as the ones mentioned above.

CaliNurse Nov 18th, 2011 11:06 PM

Thanks Galactus, WIl have to try the Masala Art next time!!

I was happy to find Cafe Coffee Day a couple blocks from the Maurya, in the Malcha Marg, across the street from the Taj Hotel . . And there is Moti Mahal in Malcha Marg , if you are seeing this Suzy Q. Inexpensive and soooo yummy!

Suzy_Q Nov 23rd, 2011 08:01 PM

Great suggestions everyone, thanks again! I'm regularly checking this thread.

galactus Nov 24th, 2011 10:51 PM

Just in case anybody tries the Masala Art, they're good at stuff with cottage cheese. Many delightful dishes with that as the core ingredient provided dairy is your thing.

Again seconding CaliNurse's suggestion of Moti Mahal. That is one place where you should eat Tandoori cuisine (think tandoori chicken, chicken tikka etc).

joannay Nov 26th, 2011 07:20 PM

I'd suggest you take 1 day from Jaiselmer and spend 1 additional in Jodhpur. It's a much larger city with more to do and see, much better shopping if that interests you. The self-guided tour of the fort is the best I've encountered. Try to find a restaurant with a rooftop location to spend some time after dark to appreciate the lit fort above the town. And if you like antique Indian furniture Jodhpur's the place.

rhkkmk Nov 27th, 2011 03:45 AM

udaipur was by far our favorite city and the only one we might return to...

jailsmer deserves way less time, imo.

julies Nov 27th, 2011 06:12 AM

Bob--

More comments please on why you disliked Jaisalmer. I remember your post saying you were wondering if it was worth the time and energy to get there.