Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   rainy season on Thai islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/rainy-season-on-thai-islands-333743/)

hammail Jul 4th, 2003 10:52 AM

rainy season on Thai islands

I'm travelling to Thailand late July. I've heard different comments on the rainy season...especially with regards to the islands. Some say 'don't let the rain stop you, it comes and goes and everything is still beautiful.' Then I hear 'DON'T go during the rainy season and if you must go now go to Kho Samui.'
We do want to visit the tropical beaches, snorkel off some smaller islands like those off the coast of Krabi and hike through jungle. Are there no beaches suitable during this season? If it rains 24/7 and is absolutely miserable, maybe we should desert these plans and head for the northern areas of Thailand.
Thanks for any advice.

gard Jul 5th, 2003 01:24 AM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Thailand twice on vacation and both times was in the month of September. In 1998 we went to Phuket and Koh Samui and we had some really lovely days. Yes, it does rain and most likely you will get a bit of rain every day. But that didn't stop us from having lots of fun. Last year we went to Krabi (Ao Nang) and Hua Hin. This time it was a bit wetter but we still managed to do and see quite a lot. I have posted a couple of long trip reports on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-) Get in touch if you have any questions :-)

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway

JamesA Jul 9th, 2003 10:21 AM

There is a great difference between rainy season and 'monsoon area'. The Gulf of Thailand that covers Koh Chang/Koh Samet/Pattaya/Hua Hin/Koh Samui does have some rain, but it also gets plenty of sunny days. The rain is usually just short bursts and nothing that could really ruin your vacation.
On the south-west coast, e.g Krabi/Phuket areas they are affected by the Tropical Monsoon rains. These 'rains' can vary but can often be for a long period of time and very heavy/torrential. Very different. if you want a far better chance of long sunny periods then stick to the Gulf side. You can always check locally for the forecast for the days ahead and move further south if it looks ok. But you would be far less likely to have heavy rain in July in the Gulf area, e.g Koh Samui than further south.

hammail Jul 9th, 2003 07:39 PM

JamesA, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

karentb Jul 10th, 2003 01:35 PM

koh samui was great!! i went in the end of june -beginning of july :)

JamesA Jul 11th, 2003 04:31 AM

Koh Samui is very popular this time of year as it is not really rainy season, however further south it is the peak time for rain.

Captb Jul 18th, 2003 04:01 PM

Would the same forecast apply to the last two weeks of August?

JamesA Jul 18th, 2003 04:15 PM

Yes. It tends be be 'Gulf area' from May to October and then the South November-April. Though you can get rain anywhere at this time through to October the 'normal rain' is not the same as Monsoon rain ( which can be quite unbelievable!!)

simpsonc510 Jul 21st, 2003 07:56 AM

I've made 5 trips to Thailand in the past two years. I've been there in June/July/August and also in Dec/Jan. By far the best weather is in Dec/Jan. But, don't let that stop you. We had one day of rain on Phuket, and I don't remember having more than one big storm on Samui and these trips were in June and August. The good news is, the storms I've been in have not lasted too long. Most days were wonderful!

Al_Mo Aug 7th, 2003 12:39 PM

Similar question but different time. \Travelling in late october, what sort of weather should we expect??

JamesA Aug 7th, 2003 02:06 PM

That's the tail-end of the monsoon season in the south so you should be ok. Maybe small chance of rain. if it rains relax and take out that book you always wanted to finish. Don't worry.