Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Rain - Tokyo & Onsens (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/rain-tokyo-and-onsens-773728/)

knemo Mar 18th, 2009 07:33 AM

Rain - Tokyo & Onsens

Hello!

Having checked weather forecasts from several different websites, it looks there's a good chance of rain in both Tokyo and Hakone next week when I am visiting.

Does anyone know if onsens are enjoyable in the rain? I emailed the place we're staying in Hakone (Aura Tachibana) and was told that while the public onsens have roofs, the private rent-for-fee roof-top onsen doesn't. I had specifically chosen this onsen so that my husband and I could enjoy some private onsen time in an outdoor environment. Now i'm afraid that traveling to Hakone for a rainy onsen experience doesn't justify the extra costs of the lodging that night. Also, are the various modes of transportation in Hakone still do-able when it's raining?

Lastly, any suggestions on which Tokyo attractions MUST be visited when it's not raining, or any ones that are particularly okay for rainy days?

And is there any great weather website that anyone would suggest for Tokyo weather? I've checked may websites and have been getting different information from different places.

THANKS!

hawaiiantraveler Mar 18th, 2009 08:20 AM

It will be beautiful, wonderful, fabulous and all that you dreamed even in the rain. Stop worrying!

You make me very envious ;)

Here I am slaving away at my work desk(well at least looking like it) thinking if only I was as lucky as you and going for a soak in a rotenburo in Hakone, Japan with my significant other next week.....I wouldn't be worried about it, I would be just dreaming of the moment!

Aloha!

mrwunrfl Mar 18th, 2009 10:51 PM

Well, no, I don't think it is enjoyable being in a hot tub or onsen with cold rain dropping on my head.

But if the weather forecast for Tokyo is rain that doesn't mean that there will be rain on your rooftop - at the time that you want to use it.

What kind of lodging will you be staying at in Hakone?

mrwunrfl Mar 18th, 2009 11:00 PM

I just checked out the place. Looks like a nice ryokan hotel. Might be nice to chill out there on a rainy day. They have a variety of baths including a mixed bath. And in guest rooms.

knemo Mar 20th, 2009 06:34 AM

hello!

thanks hawaiiantraveler! we're leaving in just a few hours!

mrwunrful: mixed bath? i must have missed that on the website. do you mean the private rentable roof-top onsen, or an actual public onsen that both guys/girls can enjoy at the same time?

mrwunrfl Mar 26th, 2009 08:56 PM

Sorry, I read it wrong. Here is the bath "menu":

Yes Shared Outdoor Hot Spring Bath (Same Gender Only) Yes Private Outdoor Hot Spring Bath (attached to Guest Room)
Yes Shared Indoor Hot Spring Bath (Same Gender Only) Yes "Family Bath" (Privately Reserved Hot Spring Bath)
Yes Private Hot Spring Bath in Guest Room
No Mixed Outdoor Hot Spring Bath (Both Genders)

hawaiiantraveler Mar 26th, 2009 09:31 PM

I wonder if it rained on knemo in the onsen?

knemo Mar 31st, 2009 05:50 PM

Hello!

I am sad to report that, after everything, we didn't get to enjoy the private onsen! It was a dreary and cold day when we arrive in Hakone this past Wednesday and had been raining off and on. While the staff at the Aura Tachibana were very nice, the person checking us in discouraged us from using the private onsen because of the bad weather. We went up to check it out anyway and were delighted to find the door unlocked. It really was beautiful. We then made the wrong decision to check out the public onsen first. By the time we were out of there, it was dinner time. Our plans to go in after dinner were scrapped when I started feeling really sick during dinner and lost my sense of taste halfway through the meal! I think the non-stop action we experienced in Tokyo was the culprit. Unfortunately the private outdoor onsens weren't available in the morning either so we lost our one opportunity. Wish I could report back something much more wonderful!! It seriously will be the one regret I have from the otherwise fantastic trip to Japan! (I'm trying not to blame my husband, who insisted we catch a later train to Hakone for more time in Tokyo!)