Search

Welcome Inns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Inns

If you have personally stayed at one of the accommodations listed in Welcome Inns Reservations, we would appreciate your description, evaluation, and recommendations for any area of Japan. We are planning on going to Japan in December-January. We are two senior adults who have traveled in Japan several times but always stayed at the 4-5 star hotels and would like to change to less costly and more authenic rooms.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Second request for information. Thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM

Do you have their web site? I'm sure I've stayed in some, but don't remember which they were...
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM

I stayed at the Moto-Hakone Guest House which is listed as a minshuku at the wirc site. Slept on a futon, shared bath, 5000 yen pp. Shower for bathing and Japanese bathtub for soaking. Walk to Lake Ashi.

The Welcome Inn Reservation Center specializes in budget accomodations, so they might not be exactly what you are looking for. You might want something along the lines of a midrange ryokan. Where do you plan on travelling?

Icuy, the website is:
http://www.itcj.or.jp/contents.html
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:46 PM

I see at least 3 we've stayed in...All were as promised. Ryokan Shigetsu, which I think all of us here have visited, is a great example...clean and convenient, and a real value
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:27 PM

Bonjour Everybody,
Most of those inns (mostly those in the "inexpensive" and "moderate" ranges) offer very basic accomodation compared to what most of the average American tourist is obviously used to (not a criticism). I personally find they are very good value for money, given my budget and tastes (I also appreciate luxury when available, but it usually would mean a shorter stay ...). I'll only list those I've visited withing the last 5-6 years.

in Tokyo:
Asakusa Shigetsu, the best

Asakusa Mikawaya Honten (March 2003): next door to the Shigetsu, very friendly, clean, quiet, good Japanese breakfast. I'll certainly return.

Katsutaro (Ueno): clean, friendly, well located (Ueno park, zoo and museums, Yanaka traditional neighborhood).

Annex Katsutaro: in the middle of Yanaka, brand new, private bathrooms in every rooms.

Sawanoya: in the middle of Yanaka, clean, friendly.

Suzuki: above Nippori station and next to Yanaka cemetery (worth the visit), cheap, convenient for Yamanote and Keisei lines, but noisy (trains from 5 am to midnight).

Kyoto:
Hiraiwa: quiet, friendly, clean, well located in an area full of greenery and old houses, my favorite.

Kyoka: quiet although close to the station, clean, I would return.

Station Ryokan Seiki: very convenient, clean, friendly, but very small rooms.

Takamatsu (Shikoku): City Hotel Takamatsu, business hotel, convenient and well located, friendly staff, clean, but surprisingly noisy at night (traffic noise). Buffet Japanese breakfast, so-so. OK for the price.

Naruto (Shikoku): Hotel Hama, very friendly, clean, great breakfast (Western and Japanese), big rooms in the annex (two kingsize beds, two sofas, small cooking range). Will certainly return.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and evaluations. We are going to Tokyo and Fukuoka and Kyoto and other smaller cities. It sounds like the Welcome Inns will work very well.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:34 PM

Bonjour Klam,

A few points:
- some members of Wellcome Inns will be closed for the New-Year celebrations. Plan and reserve well in advance for those few days (usually Dec 31 - Jan 3).

- The TIC will handle reservations, free of charge, at the last minute if necessary. Their staff all speak English and will do their best to help. However, it will be closed from approx. Dec 28 - Jan 4.

- Try also the Japanese Inns Group http://www.members.aol.com/jinngroup/
many of those ryokans are members of the Wellcome Inns.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Florence--Thanks for the additional website. I'll check on it. I hadn't considered that the holidays might cause a problem. Thanks again.